Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr. Soop posted:

This is true. The looks fit the characterization. Miranda was created by her father with "genetic perfection" in mind both physically and mentally, so it makes sense that she would ooze sexuality while being the brains of the group. It's right out of a Michael Bay movie, but it more or less works
I don't think the T&A fitting the characterisation is really a valid way to look at it considering the characterisation literally exists to justify the T&A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I beat the end boss in Jade Empire by having a thing equipped that hurt an enemy whenever they hit you, and he basically punched me until he died.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The OP for that DA2 LP also didn't let people choose between quest resolutions and stuff, because he had already completed the game before starting the thread. It's a very good showcase of some of the shocking dialogue, at least.

Without having played it, DA2 seems like kind of a bold experiment- a game where you're a gently caress up, and your whole party is gently caress ups, and instead of saving the world from great evil you just gently caress everything up. I wonder how much that has to do with people hating it compared to the reused cave area and lines like "I like big boats, I cannot lie"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The replacement krogan is a decent guy who gets heart-rendingly ripped to shreds by reapers if you abandon him for the rachni queen. I didn't see Grunt in this mission because I killed him at the end of Mass Effect 2 (he's the only character who gets a decent dying line and someone's Got to die)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Before ME3 came out I was looking forward to post-Reaper games with a smaller scale. They had enough background stuff like the geth-quarian war that they could totally have made a full game about just settling that issue once and for all. Part of what disappointed me about ME3 was that they shot their load on all of that stuff so now they have to make up a bunch of other stuff for the next game to be about.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Every mission in Mass Effect 2 is about daddy issues, and also there is no common thread that connects the missions in mass Effect 2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Watching the latest video reminded me as well: everyone is such dicks to the rachni, and it annoyed me. All this talk of "we let you go only on condition that you would vanish forever" didn't match at all with my fairly chill and friendly memories of letting the queen go in the first game, though that might just be me remembering wrong. But then even when you find the queen Shepard demands to know how dare she be captured and enslaved by monsters, and only agrees to let her live because she's a "valuable asset".

Meanwhile we ask the krogans for help saving the entire universe from certain doom and their response is "NEVER UNLESS YOU PERFORM FOR ME THESE PERSONAL ERRANDS THREE" and we just shrug and say "welp, guess we'd better do as they say"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

People have been caring about fictional characters for a long-rear end time. It's probably dumb to care about fictional characters, certainly to care about them more than real life people, but then again you could say the same thing about communicating an idea via a pretend story about made-up people that takes place between high-octane pretend gun battles instead of an essay or something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"this isnt about strategy or tactics! We fight or we die!"

So do we fight Cerberus so often because they're more fun to fight, or are they more fun to fight because Bioware put more effort into them because they knew we'd be fighting them so often?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Not inside the city walls, anyway. *listens nervously to to ever-louder battle chants of the besieging RPG Codex army*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Personally I like to imagine it leads to Starfox.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

double nine posted:

The amount of hoops you need to jump through to get Miranda killed is ridiculous.

I had sex with her in ME2, then told her it wa over in ME3, and that meant she died no matter what. Easy as pie :smug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Iamblikhos posted:

I don't really get all the hate for Miranda. I mean, she's actually more coherent as a character than many of the fan favorites.

I guess nerds don't know how to deal with back-talk even from pixel women...

She's OK I guess but the mission is just more satisfying dramatically if she dies. Same reason I arranged for the deaths of Grunt, Thane and Jacob in ME2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That was another thing KOTOR2 did well, I think: your party members are a diverse mix of good and bad people, and there are a bunch of scenes that show them not getting along, snarking at each other and getting into a fight on at least one occasion. A couple of these (were intended to) come to a head at the end of the game (if it hadn't been released before they finished it) with the droid characters having a three-way confrontation that's decided by your actions earlier on. But throughout the game they conveniently put these differences aside to fight for you as your party members, which turns out to be a plot point. I haven't played Planescape Torment(the first Chris Avellone Joint) but I've heard a similar concept was used in that game, and the slave collars in Dead Money aren't a million miles away.

The last video has convinced me to kill Mordin in ME2 if I play through the series again. Wiks's little satisfied "for eternity" before blowing up was a good way to go out, and felt less cheesy than Mordin humming The Song the whole time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean maybe I'm stupid, but I always figured that the Salarians are smart enough to cook up another Genophage if they need to. I mean Mordin literally did it a few years ago. I'm not sure what the Genophage cure itself entails and it infuriated me that the game was ambiguous on it because it would genuinely have informed my opinion on the matter.

Give the Krogans a chance, if they get uppity, smack them back down again.

Broadly I couldn't have cared less about Wrex or Eve, I think Eve dies on my playthrough anyway. I just figured the Krogan War Assets would be more valuable than the Salarian ones.

I always saw the genophage as a krogan preservation project, really. If you can deploy a sterility plague throughout an entire species you could presumably deploy a killer plague just as easily. Or just carpet bomb their homeworld with those 20-kiloton cannonballs. I'm sure I remember Mordin saying something along those lines in ME2 but last time I played I didn't see it so maybe I misremembered something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I never particularly hated Aria but I rolled my eyes at her "don't gently caress with Aria" speech (maybe you're supposed to, every negative thought I've had about a Mass Effect character someone has said was intended, though I don't know why Bioware is deliberately writing so many unlikeable characters in that case) and in ME3 she was just there as a quest giver and minor lore dispensary, and to center an entire DLC around her was just baffling to me. It felt as arbitrary as making a DLC starring the krogan poet guy or that quarian general who was really sad that his men died, as if they've been major characters whose story needs to be told all this time instead of minor background characters. And that's why I get the "writer's pet" vibe from her.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I know the point of this LP isn't to be funny but I laughed a lot at "your character doesn't even have sex, but is blessed with the status of having had sex."

I agree with the comments against wish fulfillment stuff, and it bothers me that Chris Avellone, my favourite game writer, is firmly in the pro-wish-fulfillment camp. Any time he talks about writing he says one important thing is to "ego-stroke" the player, and this does keep sneaking in and slightly spoiling his writing- such as the Lonesome Road DLC for Fallout New Vegas, which includes ending text such as (paraphrased) "and even the brutally tough monsters of this DLC left the player character alone out of respect for being such a badass".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I dunno, respecting the chain of command doesn't really scream "renegade" to me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Thank heavens we avoided that in favor of something that is both far less coherent and actually to forced integration into a single and eradication of differences.

That really is far less coherent.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Representing all sexualities equally is not pandering to any one sexuality. And as Mass Effect does not represent all sexualities equally it's even more not-pandering.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The geth killed enough of them in return. That quarian fleet is their entire species, remember. Both sides went psycho nuts in that war.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I'll be honest: "the problem fans had with the ending was because it was too sad - it killed characters and ended the setting" is a strawman I did not expect to hear here. I'm actually disappointed.
Some fans certainly had that problem with it, and they were the ones who yelled loudly enough to get the Extended Cut released, based on what specific things Bioware chose to address in that DLC. I think most people who hated the ending just hated it because it was crappy for various reasons, but I also think those people's response to the ending being crappy was to pretty much go "well that was crappy," make fun of it on message boards, and decide not to buy any more Bioware games. Online petitions for a different ending are hard to see as anything but entitled, really.

...though that opinion clashes with my other opinion, which is that if you're sold something and it turns out to have flaws that you consider critical you're well within your rights to complain about that to the people sold it to you, especially if they sold it to you for the non-trivial sum of sixty dollars. Handing over money complicates the entitlement thing somewhat. Fans of Farscape were probably more entitled when they got it brought back from being cancelled on a cliffhanger, since they were basically getting that show for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Neruz posted:

Stuff involving Shepard doesn't count because Shepard is the solution to the problem and thus is capable of fixing the cycle; EDI is the proof that Shepard is the solution to the problem as she is an unshackled AI that has not gone rogue despite ample opportunity to do so.
I was a dick to EDI every chance I got and she was still nice. Same with Legion. I guess I'd like it more if Shepard had to do more to solve the robots/people conflict than simply exist.

• Locked thread