Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hadn't touched this game since I beat it soon after it came out. Not out of hate or anything, just couldn't drum up an interest. Today I put the game in my 360! Someday soon, I'll actually go in and play it. :v:

The gameplay of this game is top notch, and the multiplayer is surprisingly high quality. The single player has some fantastic moments - one moment in particular I consider the best in the franchise - but there's so much dragging it down. The kid is one of them. We hadn't connected with the kid, so it just comes off has a hamhanded grab for sympathy. Part of the problem is the placement, here at the beginning of the third game. Neither returning players nor newcomers can bond with him; so his death scene would be better served later in the narrative. Even better if he was a returning character somehow. And of course, he'd have to actually be likable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

My dirtiest videogame secret is that I really liked Jack as a character.
Jack's not a bad character.

That said, maybe we shouldn't get into a derail about her until she's at least mentioned in the game? If she is, anyway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sombrerotron posted:

Oh and sometimes the games just can't help themselves and things accidentally (maybe) get inappropriate, as evidenced below (linked for minor/medium ME2 and ME3 spoilers).

http://i.imgur.com/vy8r2zV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JZEv75z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/upParzg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PfQpMyW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VK6poLW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/stFKVFV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3DkiSTG.jpg
That stuff probably looks identical for DudeShep.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There's one scene with Mordin in this game that is my favorite moment in the series. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out with Wiks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

BioMe posted:

Pretty much every Volus you meet is a shady or/and greedy merchant. The one exception I can think of acknowledges that all his people are greedy bastards.

ME1 had the shady banker you can call out on unethical practices. ME2 had the guy gloating over the destruction of colonies because it made him money, and the merchants involved in illegal operations during Samara's recruitment. In ME3 the sidequests with the Volus involved stopping them from war profiteering.

Like were there some I missed that really break the picture there?
Excuse me, you forgot about the BIOTIC GOD, Niftu Cal.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

Fair point on ME being a general sci-fi homage - I suppose I see that as a series-wide thing, but ME1 definitely carves out its own particular niche on that one. But in terms of writing, I don't think there's enough there to mark it out as best in the series - a lot is interchangeable with any of Bioware's other RPGs. Virmire onwards is solid but there's not much great about Czerka Corp. dicking around with colonists on Feros again.
As Argle said, insisting ME3 be taken on it's own merits on one hand and taking ME1 as a set with every other Bioware game on the other hand seems unfair. How does it stand on it's own? I've never played a Bioware game outside of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series and the first game in both series seemed exciting and new when I played them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Covok posted:

Yeah, that is another thing to remember. He didn't just help make the genophage. When the krogan began to cure themselves of it, he updated it to overcome this. The first time he did it, he could rationalize it as a necessity to end a war. What need was there for him to do it a second time to a krogan populous that was already in decline other than bigotry and fear?
Mordin didn't have anything to do with the first genophage. It was over a thousand years before the start of the series.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought you said you hadn't read the other stuff. If you haven't, then how do you know it is terrible? If you are basing this statement on other peoples opinions, and your opinions already run contrary to pretty much everyone elses opinion, wouldn't that mean you would probably like the tie in fiction?

I've read almost everything now. Most of the comics are bad, but not all. The books are hit and miss, but in general are interesting. The fourth one is pretty bad because it seems like the author just hadn't done any research so it is inconsistent. The other three fit in with the games just fine.

I'd have to say that the first book is definitely better than this LP. But that's just my opinion. I certainly enjoyed it more.
Weren't they riddled with plot holes?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Teledahn posted:

I don't understand how anyone could like this game.
Because it's fun?

I mean, the game has issues, but the gameplay is solid.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Steve is cool, go for it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

Uh oh, I've never been on a ME forum except when looking at multilayer builds, is she the main waifu of the creepiest, spergiest players?
As someone who likes Tali herself just fine: her fans are just :nms:the worst:nms:.

efb

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I thought the idea behind failshep was to kill everyone?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

And IIRC, Mordin is actually one of the better options to send back to the ship.

Edit: The reactor overloaded because you didn't upgrade the shielding. I don't think it had anything to do with loyalty.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Have you mentioned Jack's romance, and how having sex with her immediately ends the relationship?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Shepard's mom is a perfect alien menace? What?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Shepard's parents change depending on what background you choose in ME1, I think she's only alive if you pick the Spacer background, and is then a Captain, promoted to Vice Admiral in ME3.

The other options, her parents are dead by Batarians (Colonist) or unknown if you chose the other option, which was basically Street Kid.
I'm aware of that, I was responding to this post by TheCosmicMuffet.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's interesting because in terms of meaningful female relationships in the game, the one with the Rachni queen is perhaps the most mature. You spare her as the last example of her species. She's captured and forced to breed soldiers for the Reapers, and then you rescue her, and she helps the alliance against the reapers. She's your mom in a lot of ways because she represents the perfect alien menace, but you go out of your way to make sure she survives. In the end she's on your side, and you're still killing her 'children' in the multiplayer and mixed in with other Reaper thralls. Meanwhile, the Asari refuse to help you until you sneak onto their home world while it's under attack to get their prothean beacon--symbolically the source of their power and 'head start' over the other races. Then they give in and commit to build the crucible.
And I have no idea what he's trying to say with that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I apologize for asking you to elaborate please stop now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Edit: spoilers are bad.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread