Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Hedrigall posted:

ME3 was a pretty drat good game and I'm excited to watch this LP. Interesting you're starting here with the default character/plot settings rather than doing 1&2 (or even just importing a playthrough of those from "off-camera"), but I'm on board anyhow! I like your commentary so far.

ME3 really got the ending it needed for its characters with the Citadel DLC, and the Extended Cut fixes most of the plot ending, so really the only sour note I have left about the end of the game is no awesome final boss fight, but that's not a huge deal.

I played a vanguard, so the final battle to me was running up to all those banshees and punching/dodging until they gave up the ghost. Was pretty epic to me, because I refused to play a more cautious style where i wasn't blitzing all over the battlefield.

One thing about the kid dying... Yes it's ham handed. But the last time I can remember Shepard NOT being able to save one was all the way back in the original Mass Effect when you had to make your choice between Kaiden and Ashley. I think beyond personalizing the death and destruction the point is to show that Shepard can't save everyone.

Put me in the category of people who really liked the game, though I haven't replayed it since it came out. There was enough that made the game great (final bro-down with Garrus, for example) that allowed me to try and ignore the ending... which was great right up until after the showdown with the illusive man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

sheep-dodger posted:

From the word go Earth itself is under attack and yet somehow, the nearly indestructible force of nature that is the Reapers is unable to complete its subjugation leaving Shepard an indefinite amount of time to dick around in the Galaxy. . . Personally I would however have preferred if hostilities would scale up over the course of the game and lead to the great climax that is the current end of the game instead of opening with the worst case scenario happening and then just... being there for the rest of the game until the player decides he wants to do the last mission.

I largely agree with you, and I think that some of the best stuff about ME3 is in the background. The Miracle at Palaven is really awesome, and instead of being given pride of place amongst resistance stories I'd bet that some people who've played the game missed it entirely. Likewise, while I feel the invasion of Earth and other worlds is consistent (if the game takes place over the course of three to six months it doesn't seem unrealistic that a numerically limited Reaper force would only destroy a certain amount given their desire to indoctrinate and "save" sentient species) it certainly reduces some of the urgency that you feel, especially when you happen to overhear something on the Citadel and run an errand for someone.

At the same time, I really enjoy what happens when you ping too much in a system under Reaper interdiction.

Kurieg posted:

It's about as short as one of the firebase missions from ME3 and ends in a really dumb "pet/kill puppy" moral choice.

Yeah, that mission always frustrated me. Kasumi's was better. Zaeed as a character is pretty good, though. Definitely better than Jacob, albeit without dem abs.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 24, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

I just love how this part is supposed to be a kind of scary, survival horror thing, but for everyone I talked to, they played the multiplayer first since it was essential to the war effort. We all saw the banshees, knew what the screams were and didn't react with fear or anticipation, more boredom

Speak for yourself. My Vanguard Shep hated those things.

Morroque posted:

That's really the thing about Mass Effect, isn't it? There is potential for a lot of things, but there are numerous punches it pulls, and other punches where it either misses or hits the wrong thing. All of the things it could have done, but did not.

I'd say the theoretical Mass Effect that we come up with individually will always be better than the Mass Effect that exists in reality, though Mass Effect wouldn't be the first in that regard.

Sure. And our individual Mass Effect is going to be something other people don't like. I don't disagree with most of the complaints on this thread so much as appreciate the good things it does and grade it on a scale with other video games. And on that very, very forgiving scale it does very well.

• Locked thread