Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dancingbears posted:

There it is. This is the line that always, always makes me cry. I hope you can remember that smell, Lucas. Hold on to it. :qq:
To me, that always stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the ending lines. Someone's smell seems like a random thing to remember about someone, especially when they're about to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Y-Hat posted:

To me, that always stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the ending lines. Someone's smell seems like a random thing to remember about someone.

Smell is actually the sense most closely tied to memory :eng101:

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 14, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The ending felt a little bit weird to me. Before the blank screen sequence with everyone addressing Goons, I got the impression that the final battle had broken Lucas and when he finally awakened the dragon his heart imparted something empty and nihilistic to it, causing Nowhere Island to be obliterated.

The blank screen sequence seemed ambiguous about that.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I definitely cried before the end, but definitely not as much as I cried during the entire final update. None of this "tearing up" crap. I bawled. Then again, anything with serious brother scenes makes me do that. You can't even let me be in a room with Rain Man playing.

Great LP. Great game. Great job, Mega64.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Absolutely fantastic LP, Mega. The final update had me a bit emotional but the winner for me is still when they tell Flint that Hinawa was killed. :smith:

The Mother games are fantastic and I wish they made more of them, or more games like them.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Thanks. For everything. I think I'm going to go cry now.

Before I forget, though: I remember reading a few years ago that one of the Mother 3 soundtracks had some images showing the inhabitants of the Nowhere Islands rebuilding after the ending of the game. I can't find them for the life of me though. It doesn't show anything groundbreaking, but it's nice to see that the people are able to rebuild again.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

B-but... :cry:

Uh, anyway, avatar requests, you say? I'm sorely tempted, I'd certainly like it to be from this game if I'm going to get one, but I'm not sure if I would or what I'd want it of. Gonna have to re-read the whole thing now.

Also a detail that gets missed in the screenshots is the harsh clang of the Franklin Badge activating. If you're going in blind and were blindsided by the lightning message, that's when you realise that, yes, this is really happening. This game takes some effort to get into because it starts slow, but holy poo poo is it worth it.

Fake edit: also, I think there's a special line if you say "No" on the final choice where Lucas rejects the player's choice.

Real e: Was the wess dance ever made into an avatar? Would it fit?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 14, 2015

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I'm at work and the entire company is on alert because our Data Centre went down and our entire business is pretty much crippled right now.

Except for me, as I am currently trying to hide that I am crying at such a beautiful ending. Thank you for this, Mega.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AlphaKretin posted:

Real e: Was the wess dance ever made into an avatar? Would it fit?

Actually had this one already made.

I also made a few variations with Wess performing specific moves.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I just now got that "Claus" is an anagram of "Lucas".

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
There's a small and neat little detail in the final part of the battle. I think while Claus's attacks are doing less damage, so do yours, at least when they connect. It really drives home that they're both kind of through with fighting.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hey Mega64, thanks :shobon:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

According to my friend, when Claus is briefly in your party at the beginning of the game he makes the same attack noise as the Masked Man does later on when you fight him. I love musical cues like this in games, so I hope this is true.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mega64 posted:

Actually had this one already made.

I also made a few variations with Wess performing specific moves.

Awesome, thank you. (And thanks again for the fantastic LP).

Now just to come up with a title text...

e: I'm leaning towards "...Duster. This is embarrassing. Turn the other way." or "Don't look, now! I'm not going to stick my butt out or anything like that, though."

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 14, 2015

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Doubt I'm gonna do any more batches of avatars, so if anyone has any avatar requests, I'll make it for you.

I don't know how you would make this work, but if you can...

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thanks a lot for the Let's Play! It was thoroughly enjoyable and you did a great job showing all the little details and setting the atmosphere right. :)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd like an avatar of a 16-hit combo, with Boney, doing over 600 damage. To a Baked Yam, even.

:v:

Seriously, though, this LP was fantastic, and I can't think of a better person to have done it.

Keep on rockin', Mega.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

To me, that always stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the ending lines. Someone's smell seems like a random thing to remember about someone, especially when they're about to die.

It seems like you didn't grow up in the same room as your brother, but i did. This is totally the line that made me cry. At that time I hadn't seen my brother in nearly 5 years, I still remembered what he smells like.

It also helps that being related that it is a slightly different smell then your own body. Im sure being a twin makes that very true.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I teared up a couple of times when reading this LP, but I thought the thread title was an overstatement. I don't think so anymore.

Thanks for all your work transcribing and presenting this to us!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So when I played Mother 3, I named Flint after my dad, Hinawa after my mom, Claus after my older brother, and Lucas after me.

Yeah, this one hit me pretty hard.

Good job, Mega.

Edit: Oh, and I named Boney after my dog, too, of course!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

Doubt I'm gonna do any more batches of avatars, so if anyone has any avatar requests, I'll make it for you.
Oh yeah, it does feel as though we stopped doing avatars and videos about halfway through. The credits might be the place for the last video, btw.

I generally get emotional easily due to fictional narratives, but this one didn't really grab me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I've refrained from gushing about how this game uses music to absolutely great effect, as anything I'm capable of writing isn't going to do justice for it.
Except this:
http://tindeck.com/listen/dfhwj
Every single time I hear that I get a lump in my throat.
I agree, that song is just fantastic. Memories of Mother is really kinda symbolic of the conflict we see throughout the the entire game. In it we see Porky's driving desire to subvert beautiful things to his whims, by hearing the Masked Man's dull, aggressive theme. And yet it is mixed with the Theme of Love, the theme of Mother 3, the theme of family and togetherness. Through this song we can hear two forces fighting for Claus' soul.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

I wonder that too, and I'm sure it's meant to be up to wildly different interpretations. Porky seemed to believe the dragon would follow his wishes if he got his robo-slave Claus to pull more needles. But one of the Magypsies said they couldn't sense anything either good or evil when Claus pulled a needle. So would Claus' influence have even counted for anything when he was just robot-like? Or would it be more like a null result, and only Lucas' intent would've made a real difference anyway?

I looked this up. If someone with no heart pulled all the needles for themselves, everything would simply cease to exist. But Claus was being controlled by Porky, so Porky's heart was being passed on through him.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Aw :unsmith:
It was really great to experience this again. Thanks.

Mega64 posted:

I think that was originally the plan before it got scrapped. There's some stuff about it here, though I'm sure some Mother-related sites go more in-depth on it.

I really love those Sailor Kumatora animations, and that one off Sailor Duster animation. That would have made a great one off joke- "hey what if I try this transformation wand..?"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Man, there's a LOT of really great videos posted the past few pages. I love that Pollyanna flash, and all the videos with the Mother 3 ending... :cry:

Thank you Mega64! Any plans for your next LP? I seem to remember you mentioning something a few times updating this, but I don't remember what it was now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Shintaro posted:

I don't know how you would make this work, but if you can...

I'll get to work on that later and see if I can figure something out.

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah, it does feel as though we stopped doing avatars and videos about halfway through. The credits might be the place for the last video, btw.

I only did three videos the entire LP, two of those being the DCMC concerts and the other being Chapter 6. I should do a video for the cast list though since the characters do a lot of silly stuff during the thing. As for avatars, I just got burned out, haha.

Minrad posted:

Thank you Mega64! Any plans for your next LP? I seem to remember you mentioning something a few times updating this, but I don't remember what it was now.

I usually have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head. I've got a goofy little side-project lined up that I'm probably going to do for a couple months or so, but I don't know what my next proper LP will be. Usually while juggling five different LP ideas some random thing will pop up and I'll decide to base an LP on that and make it a couple days later, so I'm just waiting for that to happen and enjoying a break in the meantime.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Have you ever considered doing an LP of Lost Odyssey

It's not your usual generation of game to LP, but it is a JRPG! I've been looking for someone to LP that game for years.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Y-Hat posted:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Smell is actually the sense most closely tied to memory :eng101:

There's also the implication that this was something that Lucas forgot. Claus's smell was never commented on, or noted, or even vaguely referenced. Lucas probably didn't even realize that he had forgotten. But here, moments before Claus dies in his arms, Lucas breathes in and remembers the smell of his twin brother. He will almost assuredly forget it again, later, many years from now. It's a very small, personal touch, and I feel it's very powerful.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

dancingbears posted:

There's also the implication that this was something that Lucas forgot. Claus's smell was never commented on, or noted, or even vaguely referenced. Lucas probably didn't even realize that he had forgotten. But here, moments before Claus dies in his arms, Lucas breathes in and remembers the smell of his twin brother. He will almost assuredly forget it again, later, many years from now. It's a very small, personal touch, and I feel it's very powerful.

It's just one of those personal things. Like if you go a long time without seeing your parents, and then you go home for the holidays or something and give your Mom a big hug and get a whiff of her hair and her clothes or her perfume, and get that rush of nostalgia and memories. :unsmith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Best I could figure out. Had to recapture the GIF (luckily, I hadn't deleted the video file from my recycle bin yet) to make the timing better, and I had to cut half the frames to make it work. A bit choppy, but not bad for a quick hack job. I'm cool working on it some more if you want it a bit better, though I may not have much time to do so until Saturday.

If anyone else wants to mess with it (i.e. if Explosionface is reading this thread and is bored for some reason), here's the unoptimized, uncropped (but still resized) version:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Best I could figure out. Had to recapture the GIF (luckily, I hadn't deleted the video file from my recycle bin yet) to make the timing better, and I had to cut half the frames to make it work. A bit choppy, but not bad for a quick hack job. I'm cool working on it some more if you want it a bit better, though I may not have much time to do so until Saturday.

If anyone else wants to mess with it (i.e. if Explosionface is reading this thread and is bored for some reason), here's the unoptimized, uncropped (but still resized) version:

I think it would work better if it's just the ball landing and the guy flying off.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it would work better if it's just the ball landing and the guy flying off.

Like this?

I'm sure it's possible to make the background static to make it look better but that would require me to learn to be good at making GIFs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Like this?

I'm sure it's possible to make the background static to make it look better but that would require me to learn to be good at making GIFs.
Yeah. It's funnier as an av if you leave what's next to the imagination. The humor is in his facial expression not changing anyway.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

dancingbears posted:

quote:

Lucas remembers Claus's smell.
There it is. This is the line that always, always makes me cry. I hope you can remember that smell, Lucas. Hold on to it. :qq:
Same for me. I remember it years later from time to time out of pretty much nowhere and tear up every drat time. :( Sometimes my grandparents would babysit me at their house when I was a kid, and to this day, thirty years later, I still remember how my mom smelled when my parents came by to pick me up and I hugged her hello. (She probably smells similar today, but I'm too tall now to make that kind of nose contact.)

Other heavy hitters included "Lucas wanted to cry" and "The Masked Man removed his mask. His face looked just like Lucas's." As a contented only child, I'm surprised that it's the sibling stuff that affected me the most. Itoi's amazing.

Thanks again for a wonderful playthrough of this magical game!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Thanks for the info on smell and how it relates to memory and being brothers (I don't have a brother). I should have figured Itoi wouldn't have put that line there just for the hell of it.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It looks good to me! I'm not exactly a connoisseur of gifs, so I'm not sure what "a bit better" constitutes, though if you are willing to improve on it I'm happy to wait.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah. It's funnier as an av if you leave what's next to the imagination. The humor is in his facial expression not changing anyway.

I, for one, love the whole long sequence, as the funniest part to me is fact that all that happens just for some dude to become an already absurd path unlock.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for this great LP!

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
I actually cried at the end of the game when I beat it a few years ago (even though I'm an only child). Such a beautiful game with fantastic writing that I only can hope to match with my own work. Itoi is a fantastic man and I salute him and Tomato for this. Thanks also, Mega for helping me relive this great game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Lucas's entire family is more or less dead. I can't imagine Flint took that light damage, after all. That's a heavy thing to carry in your heart, especially for a young boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Glazius posted:

Lucas's entire family is more or less dead. I can't imagine Flint took that light damage, after all. That's a heavy thing to carry in your heart, especially for a young boy.
Everyone's ok. It's like a miracle.

• Locked thread