Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I played this game right after my mom actually died. It's a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Wess is a little abusive. Kumatora implied that he only does it to hurt Duster, by saying that if he really was a moron, he wouldn't understand anyway. So what's the use? I hope he comes around.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
This chapter is very effective at using mechanics to reflect the themes of the story. It's a chore to play and you're screaming the entire time for a chance to rebel. It is kind of fun though. I really grew to love the monkey characters.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Mother 3 is a game you should play exhaustively exactly once.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Gotta be "History of the Land Called Uqbar" by Silas Haslem.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
He's a cartoon villain but he's also not outside of the realm of reality. There are people just like Fassad all over the world, in positions of power. Even in your very own town! Fassad is terrifying and elicits so much frustration and anger in part because he's so familiar. Everyone has seen reflections of Fassad's character in people they meet in their own lives.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
A retranslation would be interesting, I think. Changing Bud and Lou's jokes feels like sacrilege to me, and someone (with what credentials?) going through and "smoothing out" a translation without reference to the original phrasing seems really odd and unnecessary.

This part of the game is so sad.

This whole drat game is so sad.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Anything people can imagine will probably be worse than what it really is.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Polybius91 posted:

On the whole, I liked Mother 3 a lot - enough to play it to the end when the fan translation came out, and enough to follow this LP, but the whole part about the idyllic village life being ruined because of people moving to the city just kind of irritated me. It's kind of a personal thing with the problems I faced in the small town I grew up in myself, and I don't know if anyone else here would be able to relate.

It's more about a society without the concept of money, founded on communitarianism and sharing vs capitalism than it is rural/suburb vs urban.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piJ2MYcRJnE

Porky always reminded me of Kenny Allen, the power-crazed little kid who used to call into the Ron and Fez show (rip)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

YggiDee posted:

Now that the Locria-Fassad connection's been revealed, I wonder if anyone had noticed this earlier:

Mother 3 uses leitmotif in the soundtrack maybe better than any other game i've ever played.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Mother 3 has actual complex characters, even down to the minor NPCs, I love it.

Like, how many other RPGS have every single town NPC from the starting village go through this much legitimate character development, portray this much pathos? none. In terms of writing within a limited, accepted framework, this might be my favorite game. It does almost everything so right, so well, so emotionally.

That mouse genuinely did love Fassad/Locria. Some people in real life have priorities that flawed. They can love and support a microcosm while harming or outright working to destroy the macrocosm. Symmetry doesn't always happen in real life, and it doesn't always happen in Mother 3 either.

I love Itoi and he's my biggest inspiration in writing for games. "Mother 4 is the lives you are living right now." indeed, yknow?

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Darth TNT posted:

Nintendo should make more games in the Mother series...or create a different series with some influences from these games.

More games should be made by artists and not focus grouped design teams. Itoi made three absolutely beautiful games with a lot to say, and a bass fishing game starring himself. That's a real artist. There really aren't a lot of people working in games who have near-total creative control over a work as a personal vision and also have something pertinent to say about humanity. It's pretty much him, Kojima, and, uh, well, I know there are others, I just can't think of them right now.

• Locked thread