Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Looking good thermo! I'm available for Cricket referrals if anyone wants one just PM as are a few other goons; TraderStav and ThermoPhysical to name a few off hand.

Wanted to note that it's a $25 credit on your account after 60 days. Not quite what you have in the OP.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

tonic posted:

Does anyone know if the bill starts running on a Cricket SIM immediately when you order it? It looks like you have to pay for a month of service up front when ordering a SIM card and I vaguely remember someone mentioning that it did, but I wasn't sure. I guess it makes more sense that it would start once the SIM was activated.

E-mail sent. Thanks!

Starts when you activate.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

How do I generate a referral through Cricket? I see no mention of this from the site.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/referrals

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

Also, I'd take a referral, because either way I'll probably put a family member on the plan. Can someone email me one? (Just put John Doe, I don't think the name really matters
Just so you know, you can not refer lines that are added to an account or group save plan. If you family member has their own account refer away.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

While yours might work, they aren't correct. Try googling cricket wireless APN settings. You'll find it. They're actually the same ones AIO was using.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What of MMS is it? There was one group text that my phone would absolutely not send anything in. I could send texts in other group texts just fine. But the one I could receive but couldn't send.

I know many may disagree, but seriously, gently caress MMS. That poo poo barely ever works. I can't wait until it's deprecated and disposed of.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Samsung Galaxy Light for T-Mobile seems to be a decent phone for about 120$ (via amazon), anything in the neighborhood that blows it out of the water for about the same price?

Moto G or Moto E are probably the closest competitors

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I got it working finally and apparently the setting are on Crickets website. Thanks everyone. BTW, does the cricket referral system only work during the sign up process because I forgot about it when I signed up a few weeks back?

Edit: wrong link

Gotta get a referral before you sign up, so yep, you're outta luck.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Does anyone else have issues with iMessage on straight talk?

I wasn't having problems for a while then it stopped working completely if I wasn't on wifi. I found out that installing the apn profile made it work again, but still every once in a while an iMessage fails to send, but I have 3 bars connection. Is there any fix for this or should I switch to cricket or something?

It could just be that AT&T has shoddy coverage so cricket wouldn't fix it. Although other apps work on data while iMessage is timing out. Or maybe straighttalk is throttling imessage?

venkman is right. Switch to Cricket. ST will tell you the only way to fix it is jailbreak and change the APN manually. gently caress em. Cricket sim works right out of the box no fuckery. When you switch make sure you get a referral for a $25 credit, myself and several other goons can help you with that via PM.

TLG James posted:

Looking to replace my GS3 in the next 6 months or so. I just can't understand why the Moto X doesn't have a micro sd card, but the G does. Hopefully they release a G with LTE soon.

Try looking harder. The Moto G LTE already exists.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Why? because google hates users.

If ExcessBLarge was here he'd explain it to you, but basically Android is better without SD cards and you should blame manufacturers for skimping on what amounts to a couple of dollars more for a reasonable amount of flash storage.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I can't hear you over my gozillions of offline videos, podcasts and audiobooks.

[/url]

We don't all need to watch 4K anime every waking moment.

eddiewalker posted:

Depending on how high the outright price is, wifi calling on the just-announced iPhone makes the T-Mobile "dork plan" look even more tempting.

I'm a little scared to jump ship from my ATT contract plan with some grandfathered discounts, though. Do the android devices that already have wifi calling on T-Mo support it on prepaid plans?

edit: "If you have a Pay In Advance line, calls made over Wi-Fi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls." ...oh

This is basically double-dipping. Going to take your phone minutes, but also gonna take your wifi too! (good thing most ISPs don't have data caps, and calls should be minimal on data)

clockworx posted:

Hoping someone on Verizon Prepaid with an iPhone an answer this question.

My wife has an existing Sprint account that is going out of contract, an Apple Store gift card from trading in her iPhone 5 (she's using a temp phone) and wants to switch to Verizon Prepaid with an iPhone. My understanding that the Apple Store doesn't sell new Prepaid lines on Verizon, and if you're not opening a new line, they only sell you a Verizon iPhone if you already have an account number to check upgrade eligibility against.

So this is her plan:
Open new verizon prepaid line with a junker phone, porting in her Sprint # to close her Sprint account.
Use newly-opened Verizon prepaid account to check upgrade eligibility , and hopefully be allowed to buy off-contract iPhone due to no upgrade eligibility.

The last step is the part that I have no idea about whether or not it works. Will Apple let you go in with an existing Verizon prepaid account to buy an off-contract phone from them? Yes, she could buy directly from Verizon, but she already has the gift card.

This seems completely unnecessary. You should be able to just buy online/walk into an Apple store and buy a Verizon phone for the $650 off-contract without doing all this.

That is, unless the online store will only let you do upgrades/new lines like they've done in the past :argh: thus forcing you to basically walk into the store every single day to see if they've got one available for you to buy.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

If I text "what" to 96500 on my AT&T contract phone, I immediately get a text back with the last three songs on the radio.

If I do it on my wife's tmobile contract phone, I get an "access denied" reply.

On GV, the texts seem to go through but I get no response.

My experience as well. I don't think Gvoice handles short codes well, because i never get a response to them (that's kinda the point isn't it?) so I gave up on it.

But you do have 5GB of data to get what you want, and you could just use your unlimited SMS via the actual messaging app. It is 100min/Unl SMS/5GB.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 12, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Finisher1 posted:

All right, now that the data limits have been extended I'm think I'm ready to go ahead and take the plunge on Cricket. Before I do though, does anyone have any recommendations for smartphones from them? I'd have gone with the Moto G, but that's been out of stock every time I've checked, and I'm not really in the mood to spend ~$500 on one of the Galaxy models. The Sonata and the Overture are both tempting, being free after rebate, but I've never used a ZTE smartphone and I'm not sure about their reliability.

Also, would anyone be willing to give me a referral?

Like eric said, moto g LTE or wait a bit, they'll most likely have the new moto g available soon. Do not buy one of those other lovely phones, the G is the only worthwhile cheap phone.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Finisher1 posted:

The Motorola website is already selling 2nd generation Moto G's for $180. Is there any advantage to spending $200 on the LTE variant of the 1st generation versus just going ahead and buying the new one?

I guess I meant you can probably wait a little bit and get the new G from Cricket on discount. But you can of course just buy it outright from Moto as well.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'll have to post a trip report. Just got in 2 2nd Gen G's yesterday. Been playing around with them at home, but haven't gotten over to the tmobile store yet to pick up sim cards. I was also debating on getting the LTE 1st gen but I figured I'd go for the new one. However, looking up the IMEI on the tmobile website yeilds no results for which sim card to get. Also there are literally no cases anywhere for the 2nd gen. Maybe they'll have some at the store.

Just excited to finally GTFO verizon.
Micro SIM. It might take a little bit for the new Moto G, there's a huge following for the original because it was the first great phone for super cheap. We'll see if the 2014 version sells anywhere near as well. There should be cases available within a month or so.

tonic posted:

As a current Cricket pro plan customer, how do I get the double data promotion?

It will automatically upgrade starting with your first billing cycle after 9/13/14

SB35 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 14, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Thanks for the input. You say it might take a little while, do you mean I won't be able to activate it? Or should I just be able to pop a micro SIM in and be all set?

Oh, ha. I meant it might take a little while before there's a bunch of cases available. Looks like that was poorly worded. Put in the sim and adjust your APN info and you should be good to go.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Thinking of switching to Cricket. I need to get a pair of basic phones for my parents - any good source for cheap refurbs, or should I just go for the "LG True" that Cricket sells for $30?

Make sure you get a referral first off. And yeah, unless you wanna go check on eBay or something, the cheap phone from Cricket is probably fine. Hard to beat $30 for a new device.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

If I already have an unlocked phone, would I be able to get a referral and use it to get into the Bring Your Own Phone setup? This additional data gig looks pretty appealing, as I really only need 1GB to handle a little minimal browsing/searching on top of the work I've done making my phone 90% internal GPS/data reliant.

It's just too bad I'm switching a Verizon number and not a T-mobile one, I'd really like that $100 credit...

You could port to a T-Mobile prepaid sim for a couple days and then port to Cricket and get the $100.

Yes, get a referral too and get that $25 credit as well. You can PM me or any other Cricket subscriber with your first and last name and email.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I tried tmo with the new Moto G, and the coverage at my house isn't as good as the coverage map implied. Probably going to Net10 as AT&T covers it all with no gaps.

Had a question about their 2 people family plan: does is the 3gb shared or per line? It's 5 bucks cheaper than if you do both lines separately with auto-refill.

Also the OP needs to be updated with new pricing http://www.net10wireless.com/#/plans

Net10 = expensive straight talk. Should be 3gb per line.

Cricket is better service for the same price.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Can I ask what the difference is? Is it customer service?

With Cricket for 2 lines would it be 45 per line with auto-pay and then 10 bucks off second line = 80/mo??
Cricket has better customer service, better app, better online dashboard. The family and auto pay discounts don't stack so for 2 phones it's the same either way.

Cricket does have a good deal going getting $100 credit for switching from T-Mobile as well as a good referral program $25 per. So get a referral from another goon if you want to sign up.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Do you have good T-Mobile coverage and 4 lines? Yes? Go with this. No? Cricket's is probably better and on AT&Ts network.
$90/Mo for unl/unl/3gb is pretty decent comparatively.

Cowjawfree I think it was me who referred you, glad it had worked out so well for you.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Merv Burger posted:

I assume that the $100 switch credit for Cricket can apply if you're switching from a pre-paid T-Mobile account? Can you also stack the $25 referral on it, too?

Thinking about switching since some life changes makes the lack of LTE or HSPA everywhere in my area a bit of a deal breaker, and the poor building penetration makes me a little frustrated, too.

They stack, yes. Get a referral and switch if you have good AT&T service in your area.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

carb0nex posted:

Any goon know how difficult it is to switch from StraightTalk to Cricket? I have been on ST since January, but a few times a day, I get zero service out of no where in places I have always gotten service. I don't know if it's ST or AT&T, but I'd still like to switch for all that extra data.

I had these issues for awhile, it's more likely your local tower or your phone than the actual service. That said, cricket is pretty great so you should switch anyway. Seriously, gently caress ST.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Cricket does not roam. I drove through Wyoming and had zero service pretty much the entire day.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

clockworx posted:

Does Cricket hit you with an activation fee if you order online? My wife did her signup in-store, and paid $10 for the sim and another $20 for activation (or $25, I forget).

Order online and pay for the Sim+first month, get 2 day shipping and activate it online. $25 fee for activation in store.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

nimper posted:

So if you're on the T-Mobile dork plan and you have a Google Voice number, you can use the Hangouts dialer to do unlimited VOIP calling and it's no longer a dork plan.

I just started this week and so far Hangouts has only used about 3mb of data (including texts/chats) for 10 or so phone calls.

Well it's still a dork plan because normal people probably don't have this setup, but yep pretty cool.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

8Mbs is good enough for anything you're going to do on your phone unless you are torrenting very large linux ISOs.

Or need to win internet dick measuring contests

Brock Landers posted:

As far as bandwidth goes, that's correct. Ping times are higher on Cricket too because of their proxy. As a Cricket user who was previously on both Att and Tmobile, I can say that the delay caused by higher pings is ever so slightly more noticeable but not at all times.

I definitely don't notice any slow ping times anymore, I think they've increased the throughput of their proxy by quite a bit.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

carb0nex posted:

Yep, 10 digit number, my email, and the referral code. It gets submitted, then a day-ish later, I get an email saying it failed. I received the code 10 days ago, so it shouldn't be expired.

It wouldn't hurt to open a chat with support. Most have been able to redeem within hours of activating.

ErikTheRed posted:

So I'm looking to switch onto Cricket next week, as I have a new Moto X coming on the 30th. Is there a way to get the activation kit ahead of time? I couldn't find a way to order it without having to enter an IMEI. I know I'm just being impatient but I'm dying to get off of this GS3.

Also, I'll take a referral.

A question on this too: eventually we'll be adding two more lines, can a referral be applied to each of those as well?

They do do 2 day shipping typically so you shouldn't need to wait long. You could open the other lines individually and then after 60 days merge them.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

carb0nex posted:

I just finished talking to a support person and he says I had to redeem the referral code before activating my account. The referral requires a Cricket number, and a Cricket number requires an active SIM card and phone number.

Does the guy who referred me need to do something on his end? I don't know. :(

The support person is clearly uninformed. Try again. You literally cannot redeem the referral until AFTER you activate your Cricket account. Jesus, sounds like support is going steadily down hill...

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TLG James posted:

Isn't that still worse than Criket?

Unless GoPhone isn't limited to 8 mbps or whatever.

It is not limited to 8mb/s and 512kbps is much better than Cricket's throttled speeds of ~128kbps. The interesting part is how that will trickle down to the other MVNOs

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

The more interesting part is the lawsuit that the FTC hit AT&T with last week about throttling when they claim something is unlimited.

Granted, it probably won't get far as they tried the same thing against Verizon and I believe they just threw money at it all until it went away but...yeah.

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/10/ftc-says-att-has-misled-millions-consumers-unlimited-data

Even more interesting is this article and FCC filing that reveals the rates MVNOs are paying for data as well as what Tmo is paying for roaming data. The TLDR here is that MVNOs are running on razor thin margins.
TF Article

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can someone toss me a referral for Cricket please?

Did you already order your SIM card? Because if you did, you're outta luck. You have to get the referral BEFORE you order the SIM. If you did not, I can help you out. Just PM me your first/last name and email and I'll get it submitted.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

poppingseagull posted:

I feel like Cricket is terrible with IT. Constantly had issues trying to sign up. Now I can't enable auto-pay (tech support said the auto-pay server is down) and the app on my phone errors out every time I log in.

Meanwhile, I can only sign up for one line at a time online? So annoying. I want to transfer 3 lines and don't want to do it one at a time. Meanwhile I tried to go to the store and the only "stores" within 30 minutes are gamestops. I went to two and both said they don't have Cricket set up yet.

You aren't the only one. People have been complaining on reddit and HoFo too. App was broken for me yesterday but is working now. Have not had an auto pay issue or any other issues. Knock on wood.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Bay area goon here, Cricket has been perfectly fine for me lately as far as speeds go. Haven't noticed any network, ping, or speed issues on LTE or HSPA.

Hope I'm not jinxing myself. I white knight cricket a lot but their apparent growing pains have been getting pretty frustrating lately.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

crondaily posted:

Anyone have this slowness issues on Cricket while using straight talk?

Um what? Those are 2 different carriers. Do you mean to ask if ST is also slow?

If you check hofo or reddit you'll see it looks to be an issue with the cricket proxy being the bottleneck.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

eric posted:

Anyone's cricket speeds better? I'm now getting sub 100ms pings and maxing out the download in Las Vegas.

150ms ping but 8 down and 16 up this morning in the bay area.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

tonic posted:

Where is everyone having all these issues with Cricket? Never had any issues in Northern California. Pretty much always on LTE, 8/4mbit speeds, quick page loads. Only thing I've ever noticed is that their app seems to be down at night a lot, making it difficult to check data usage.

Going to bum me out if their service is slipping, been recommending it to a lot of people.

Same in the bay area. Service is good here. All these complainers are in the flyover states, ignore them.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Rastor posted:

T-mobile only just recently started rolling out 700MHz service, which has much better coverage than their other bands. If you're in the painted part of the map, the TM coverage situation may be improving for you.

What the gently caress is Thomas Kurian and when is this gonna happen? :ohdear:

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 18, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Allaniis posted:

I ended up getting that Moto G LTE for the $75 rebate from Cricket. How's the rebate situation with Cricket?

You should be OK, just make sure you make a copy of everything before you send it off. Standard practice for big rebates really.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

First month free :words:

Oooh, this is interesting. If i didn't have so much credit built up in Cricket I'd probably give this a try. Please report back and let us know how it goes.

If it takes 1-2 days to activate do you plan to just activate it a couple days before the previous sim runs out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I was referred to this thread after posting in the Sprint thread how done I am with their bullshit. After reviewing the OP, seems like my two best options are the tmobile dork plan or Ting. I actually talked quite a bit with Ting on the phone earlier. I really pretty much never use data, looks like 311mb since Dec 8. 8.55GB on Wifi. ~117 texts, not too much time spent talking.

I know Ting will let me keep my number and Nexus 5 and pay part of my ETF, does T-mob pay any ETF and let me keep my number, or is that what this business about GV is about. I'm too old and stoned to learn a new number and I know there are people who have my number but I don't have theirs, so switching numbers isn't a good option for me.

I'm still kind of floored, I've been paying this poo poo company between 50-100 bucks a month for like 8 years, I clearly don't matter to them as a customer, and it looks like the best option is to seriously pay someone else less money for essentially the same service, possibly even using the same cell towers?? This poo poo is bonkers, but whatever, it sounds like I can got from a 100 bill I can't afford and makes me hungry, to a reasonable price and the only catch really is the early termination fee Sprint does so they don't actually have to feel penalized when we switch. Whoever I do end up with is getting a personal Nobel Prize, Obama-style, simply for not being Sprint. Can one get a refund on unused data? I must have a TB or two over the years paid for and never used hahaha.

You sound like a perfect candidate for Ting.

T-Mobile also pays etf as well but you'll need to trade in some kind of phone, and get on a postpaid plan.

If you can avoid the etf the T-Mobile dork plan may be good for you too and doesn't require any phone trade in or whatever.