Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can someone post the MMS APN for Cricket? I just switched today, and everything seems to be working fine except MMS. My phone automatically added an MMS apn, I just want to see if it was the right one or not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Do you have any additional settings if you scroll down?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I tried the settings listed on crickets site, and while the Internet works mms does not. Any tricks to this?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BonoMan posted:

Dumb question, but have you rebooted your phone? My MMS just randomly stopped working the other day (coincidentally after a call to get my address changed) and a reboot ended up fixing it.

Yeah, multiple times. I actually just got off chat with support at Cricket, where he apparently "reset my IP" in their system (probably bullshit) and suggested I wait 5-7 minutes before turning my phone back on. I waited ~10-15, turned my phone on, still doesn't work :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Athenry posted:

Are you using stock messaging? I use evolvsms and had a lot of issues until I got the settings entered in just right

It's the stock messaging app that comes with the Droid Razr M on 4.4, so...kind of? I'll try switching to hangouts and seeing if it makes any difference.

E: Are you using Cricket? If so, what settings are you using? The same ones that were linked on Cricket's site above?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cojawfee posted:

What of MMS is it? There was one group text that my phone would absolutely not send anything in. I could send texts in other group texts just fine. But the one I could receive but couldn't send.

It was a test picture I sent from my Girlfriends phone to see if MMS was working, because I did some research before I jumped ship from Verizon and saw that MMS was usually the area that people had trouble in. It's sitting in the messaging app now, but If I hit download it takes a few seconds and just says it failed. MMS sure seems to be a weird thing when you google it, because you have people entering in three different types of settings and saying this one worked, while that one didn't, while another person says that had to wait a day before they were allowed to send/receive MMS etc. There doesn't really seem to be a clear answer :(

I switched to hangouts for a bit, but the way hangouts works it doesn't even show you that you have an MMS waiting in the wings. I let it sit for a bit, but it never materialized so I switched back to stock.

Here are the settings I'm using: anyone spot anything that would make this go wrong?
http://imgur.com/a/weykG

Edit :google: suggested to try and gain access to the "messaging center" by entering in a code in the phone dialer and checking my "smsc" settings. unfortunately, it looks like they took out the messaging center in 4.4 and entering in the code does nothing :(

SB35 posted:

I know many may disagree, but seriously, gently caress MMS. That poo poo barely ever works. I can't wait until it's deprecated and disposed of.

Ugh, let's not do this. Everyone knows MMS sucks, but there's really not much you can do about it when a lot of your friends/relatives/people you know use it, so I'd really like to get it working. Let's not go down the MMS warpath :)

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 31, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Ok, after all that bitching I deleted my APN and put in the same settings I did as before (from the website) rebooted my phone and...MMS works now.

I'm happy, and I'm not touching those loving settings again!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

MMS is a bitch to get working. Not going down the anti-MMS warpath just saying that most MMS problems on GSM lie with the APN usually. Even if you entered it to the letter it can still be finicky for whatever reason.

Sometimes it's the carrier needing to actually fix something on their end, but sometimes it's the APN settings in your phone.

Yeah like I said that seems to be where the bulk of problems are when you start googling it, and everyone has a different story and method to how they got it working. I'm just glad I got it to work somehow.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So I'm testing some stuff out, and took the sim out of my phone and popped it into another unlocked android device (it's actually the same exact make and model phone, Razr M) but it doesen't seem to pick up any signal - does Cricket only provision the sim for one phone or something?

If I put it back into my original phone, it works fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

tonic posted:

My SIM definitely works on multiple devices, don't think it is IMEI locked. Tested on two iPhones and my beater SGS2 with a SIM adaptor. Took a few minutes and a restart before the phones connected though.

Guess I'll just leave it in the other phone overnight and see if it eventually connects.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Gotta say after a rough first day or two trying to get MMS working and needing to root and freeze some poo poo process bug that Motorola introduced on my phone in a recent update when using it on GSM networks, Cricket has been pretty drat good. The fact that it uses ATT towers has so far meant that I haven't really noticed any drop off in signal from Verizon.

Pretty happy so far for only 35 a month.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I'm about to hit my 500mb monthly data limit on cricket, and I'm curious to see what my speeds will be once they throttle me down. I've read various reports on different forums about people being throttled down so much they could barely use the data function on their phones, yet others have said it was just slow, but tolerable. Cricket's site says "up to" 128Kbps, so that does give them some flexibility. Of course, I wouldn't be in this situation if the built-in Amazon app hadn't decided to blow through ~120MB while I was at work for some reason...

Only 40MB more until I find out! :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FISHMANPET posted:

In my experience, it wasn't the "speed" but the latency (or maybe speed was so low that the low speed called the latency). If I wanted to open a web page, it would just be a blank white screen for a few seconds while it resolved the address. Google Maps was basically unusable. Background data (email, twitter, etc) was fine, because it could just take its sweet time but get there eventually.

Google Maps being unusable would suck, the others are just whatever to me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I'm glad mvnos and t-mobile are starting to chip away at Verizon and att's pricing. About time...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You have to buy a month of service when you get a phone through cricket.

I hit my throttle limit: .12 Mpbs down and . 40 Mpbs up. It's pretty drat slow, but bearable for Facebook twitter etc.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Brock Landers posted:

Does pandora or any other streaming service work? Maps/navigation?

Pandora took a long time to start playing (over a minute) but it seems like once it starts going it's fine. Skipping songs would probably be pretty painful, though. Google music is the same, long time to start up but once it does its fine.

I'll try navigation when I leave work in a few hours. If maps works, I'll be very happy with the service.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BonoMan posted:

Which is just kind of strange when you're already an subscriber using autopay...but it's all good. Looking forward to Windows 8.1 and a not tiny as gently caress screen.

I mean at least you get an extra month of service I guess? Right?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

I would be ok with this, I think.

Hopefully Maps works though...

I drove home from work with navigation on. It found a route home fine, but any recalculation takes a little longer than I would like. Perfectly usable, though.

It's definitely not an ideal situation, but it doesn't exactly cripple your phone. I'm pretty happy with it :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

Did you burn through your monthly data? I noticed my MMS and visual voicemail stopped when I did.

Huh, is this an official thing?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

I can only offer anecdotal evidence about what happened. It could have been another error going on that prevented me from accessing but when I added another gig of data everything was restored. I was getting login errors to the visual voicemail and all of my MMS was timing out. I am not sure what would have happened if I were on wifi, I didn't care THAT much about testing it out.

MMS uses cellular data even when you're on wifi.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this behavior next time I hit my throttle...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I'm being throttled on Cricket right now and I was able to send an MMS no problem (well, it took too long.)

Welp, that solves that!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
If you're really sticking to your six month time-line, there's a good chance that an LTE variant will be out by then.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Where'd he go, anyway?

Looks like Android L should fix the MMS issues people have been having on Cricket.

There is a bug in Hangouts that stops MMS from working on AT&T and T-Mobile. Google has fixed it for Android L. So, if you have a Nexus 5, Moto X, and Moto G, you should be alright in a few months. Nexus 4...most likely. If the G can do it, then the 4 should be able to as well.

I wonder why they wouldn't roll out the fix to the hangouts app itself?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Heads up guys, Cricket just increased their data allotments across all of their plans in a new promo. It's for new and existing customers!

http://www.androidcentral.com/cricket-raises-data-allotments-new-and-existing-customers-get-10gb-just-55

With their coverage and prices, Cricket really has to be one of the best deals out there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BonoMan posted:

Anybody had any experience moving from Verizon to Cricket? Have a friend that wants to, but don't have any experience good or bad with it... so I figure I'd ask here before recommending.

I switched from Verizon to cricket. It was pretty smooth, I was even able to use my Verizon phone because I unlocked it and it was a "global" phone so it had GSM radios built into it (like most of verizons smartphones sold within the past 2 years).

Of course coverage depends on your area, but Cricket uses ATT so coverage should be roughly similar to Verizon in most places. I've been on Cricket for almost 2 months now and it was a great decision to switch.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rastor posted:

Does everyone know that there is now such a thing as a Google Hangouts dialer app which lets you make outbound calls for free via data? Might make low-minutes plans more appealing (though the direction of the business is clearly unlimited minutes).

I'd hold off on this for now because I think Google rolled a lot of this stuff back if the android app thread is any indication. Functionality seems busted in a special kind of way only Google could manage :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Its worth noting that most newer Verizon phones come sold unlocked already, but since mine was a bit older (Droid Razr M) I had to unlock it myself. Works great though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Cricket is going to be selling the Moto G LTE for $150 with a new plan.

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.co...w-4G-LTE-Moto-G

So existing customers are SOL? I can't really tell from the press release - it says " At $149.99 with activation of one of our popular smartphone plans" and they usually make you add on a month of service if you purchase a phone through their website anyway...it's a bit ambiguous.

If I can get it for $149, I'm gonna probably hop on it. My Droid Razr M's battery is really tanking, and I need a phone with an SD card slot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm coming from a Razr M too, hoping the Moto G's same 1 gig of RAM isn't a serious limitation. My M feels pretty drat slow and clogged up now.

My M feels mostly fine actually - the 4.4 upgrade really helped with it's performance. It's one of the reasons I don't really care that the Moto G LTE has 1GB of ram. Honestly, I would stick with my Razr M if the battery wasn't so bad. It's really tanked the last month or two, it's almost two years old though so I guess it's about that time.

I figure I could probably get rid of my M and put it towards a G LTE (if existing customers can get it for that price) and at that point it's pretty much a no brainer.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

I must be totally paranoid about my phone, I make sure I have it when getting out of my car, same as I do with my keys and wallet.

Nah, let's not go down this road. Thanks!!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I saw earlier that you managed to unlock your M while switching from Verizon. While it's not really a necessity since I have another unlocked phone for this (two, actually), I'm currently using an M, as well, and am interested in what you did to unlock it to GSM-only service.

Keep in mind that the latest software versions of the M have a devastatingly crippling bug with the wireless radios in them where if you use them on a GSM network, you get a crazy amount of lockups and battery drain. I lucked out and my friend/neighboor had a razr M on an older software version so I could gain root access and disable the service that goes crazy. You can unlock the phone without root, but you can't disable the service that makes it unusable.

Having said that, I basically just followed what this dude did:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2389740

The guide was written when the phone was still on 4.1.2, but it works fine with 4.4

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone here on Cricket with an iPhone?

How the heck do you get iMessage to work? My girlfriend just switched from Verizon and ported her number, and now her iMessage doesn't download picture messages and doesn't let her send messages through her phone number (only through email address).

Almost seems like an APN or activation issue. Her old Verizon phone is still receiving iMessage text and picture messages when on WiFi to and from her phone number that was ported away.

When I switched to Cricket, it took me about 2 days to get MMS working. I kept re-entering the APN settings and restarting my phone. Eventually, it just started to work. APN settings are weird things, I guess.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pissingintowind posted:

Where do you even enter the APN settings? She's telling me that she doesn't have access to the Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Network menu that I see for APN adjustments.

No idea on iphone. That's probably a question for the iphone thread :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

FWIW, my wifes iPhone 5 just worked when I popped the Cricket sim in. She was on AT&T GoPhone previously, however.

Most phones pull the APN settings automatically the first time you put in the sim, but it's easy for a phone to require slightly different settings or for the user to dismiss it by accident.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bigfabdaddy posted:

I'm currently using ST and have had no problems other than the customer service. My phone was the ZTE Z930L until I fell asleep with it in my pocket and woke up to the phone still turning on volume controls working but the screen stayed black the entire time. So now i have stayed with them but switched back to my original Samsung SCH-S738C. It's a small screen but still usable unless your watching alot of media on it. Only thing I can really complain about is the slower than advertised 1 Ghz processor. Sometimes when trying to do things it will freeze for a few seconds. I have only had to do a battery pull on it 4 times and all of them were needed after trying to open the Official Facebook app.

I did a call to them about my ZTE phone and they claimed that within 5-7 days i would get a package to send the phone to them so they could determine if it could be fixed under their warranty. I have yet to see anything in the mail from them and that was 10 days ago. I am considering just eating the cost of buying another phone in the coming weeks. Just to have the faster processor for multitasking.

Overall other than the issue with my ZTE Z930L I can't complain about the service provided for the cost. Coverage in my area seems very good other than when going in to Wal-mart (I think that is more the fault of the building construction rather than the cellphone service). I can't really complain so until the time comes that ST is no longer viable for my needs I will continue to use them for my cellphone carrier.

Might as well just pickup a Moto E on amazon for like $100 if you don't care about it not having a front facing camera.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
What are the cellular bands that cricket uses?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Athenry posted:

I like cricket's visual voicemail, but I hate how I get 2 notifications whenever I have a voicemail (one from the visual voicemail app, and the native one from my phone.)

Yeah, that bugs me too. I also hate how it doesn't take into account the proximity sensor in your phone, so the screen stays on when you're trying to listen to the message...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Nope. Roaming agreements are one of the last major things that separate prepaid from postpaid these days.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anybody in this thread have any experience or advice about signal boosters? I love cricket, except when I'm in my basement at home :( there's very little service down there, to the point where texts will sometimes come in an hour late and routinely fail to send. My new Moto G seems to have a much harder time than my old Razr M in this regard.

Anybody got a link to a good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

Not sure if they require a service contract with the carrier but I think you can get an ATT femtocell for like $200. Boosters/repeaters start at nearly 400 though.

I was thinking about the att femtocell route, but wasn't sure if they needed a contract or any sort of provisioning. Just sucks, especially since my old Razr M didn't really have as much of a problem :(

Moto G otherwise is leaps and bounds better though.

E: some quick searching suggest that the att femtocell only works with phones that are actually on att and not mvnos.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 28, 2014