Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, I switched over to Total on my lunch break and now I get cell reception in my office, so it seems pretty great so far.

They have a 5% discount for auto-refill, so it's really only $33.25/month

Tempting - thanks for the heads up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just saw Cricket now has a $30 plan - unlimited talk and text, with 1GB of 4G data (throttled to 128kbs after 1GB is used)

Competition for the Nerd Plan and Fi

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ting - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and need international roaming (T-Mobile network - $30 or less depending on usage)

Google Fi - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and need international roaming (multiple networks - $30 or less depending on usage)

Cricket - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and don't need international roaming (AT&T network - $30)

T-Mobile Nerd Plan - best if you're using more than 1gb data, don't talk a lot, and don't need international roaming (T-Mobile network - $30)

I think that's about it for cheap plans. Total Wireless is around also (Verizon network - $35) but has poor reviews on this site and elsewhere.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought I'd mention this here - Consumer Cellular has a thing for AARP members now that they're not advertising where if you switch to their service, they'll give you either an iPhone 5C for $35 or an iPhone 5S for $50.

Someone in my family just switched and I told them the 5S is a steal at that price.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just switched my wife from her dad's att plan to my cricket plan and she said she's getting worse service then when she was on att. Using the same phone she was using on att.

Any validity to that?

Someone mentioned recently that Cricket's traffic gets routed through a proxy and is throttled at 8mb/s

So yes

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Consumer Reports has their annual ratings for cell plans out:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I switched my dad recently to Consumer Cellular and it's been great for him. I was going to switch him to Cricket, but if he has problems with the service, the only Cricket locations around here are in the hood. Consumer Cellular has a deal with Target where you can just go there for assistance.

For old people who don't use data - highest recommendation. I made sure they put him on AT&T's towers too since I've heard they use either that or T-Mobile. His bill last month was like $16.00 with his AARP discount.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also had the "your account information could not be verified" error when trying to port to Cricket from AT&T last month. Went with Ting instead - no problems.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a race to the bottom - Cricket has dropped their Unlimited plan to $55:

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com/news-releases?item=122578

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ChadSexington posted:

Hmmm, kind of a double-edged sword for them since I was previously locked in to the $55 20GB plan and reluctant to switch. I guess now I can check out some of the unlimited plans with tethering without worrying about losing anything.

It looks like the $55 plan doesn't include Tethering and you have to add it for an extra $10

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

poppingseagull posted:

My family is all on a cricket plan under my name. The keep complaining that caller ID shows my name for all lines. Anybody had luck getting this fixed? I have only found Cricket support to be a complete waste of time so I am hesitant to call about this.

If they're on iPhones, have then disable iMessage in the settings and then re-enable it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Looking for suggestions for an MVNO that lets me handle the occasional trip over the borders (mostly to Canada.) I'm used to the nerd plan so T-mobile coverage is fine. Fi looks to be expensive if I'm away from home and don't have a reliable source of WiFi.

Cricket's Unlimited plan for $55 includes unlimited talk/text/data in US/Mexico/Canada

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If their international roaming wasn't so convoluted, I'd switch to Mint from Ting

quote:

Staying connected while exploring the world just got super F*!ing easy! (We said “Foxing.”) All Mint Mobile accounts now include International Roaming capability!

The first step is to add money to your International Roaming balance with UpRoam. UpRoam allows Mint Mobile subscribers to add money to their International Roaming balance in amounts of $5, $10 or $20 at a time. Subscribers can UpRoam by logging into their account online, or by texting “UPROAM” to 6700 from their Mint Mobile phone.

Once you’ve added money to your International Roaming balance, you’ll pay just $0.05 to send an SMS text message from outside of the US, just $0.25 cents per minute to make and receive calls while roaming internationally, and $0.20 per MB of data. (Receiving SMS text messages is free while roaming internationally.) Unused International Roaming balances carry over from month to month and never expire!

yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh no

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Goodpancakes posted:

Supposedly you can get that for free on Freedompop

Yeah aren't there a bunch of apps that will give you burner numbers on your current phone that you can use through wifi/data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long until free MVNO plans for Prime members

How badly does Amazon want to know my cell habits/location