Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Problems with number porting are almost always on the part of the old carrier, not the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What are some of the apps? I genuinely don't know any others. Handcent was a bit hosed up, so I moved to Chomp, and I moved to Messages since Chomp wouldn't send the mms.

I dunno what kind of limit Cricket has on file size, but I'm always open to trying other apps that do better stuff.

What he's saying is: Don't use MMS, use another protocol.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Humerus posted:

When you say the coverage map is a joke, do you mean the map itself is not indicative of their coverage or do you mean their coverage is just bad. Because the map says everywhere in my city/where I would go is LTE Plus or "Fair."

A bigger issue with Sprint is that their spectrum is so lovely. Building penetration is laughable.

I mean you're going to get what you're paying for, but let's be real here: Sprint's terrible. That said you're looking at saving $1000 just for using their lovely network. For that kind of money it's probably worth checking out which is what they're banking on. Maybe you'll be satisfied enough to stay at the end of it.

I have a feeling that it will be just like Mitsubishi gave people no payments for a year, the kind of person attracted to something-for-nothing deals have no loyalty and don't really have the means to pay anyway which is why they look for such things. In the end they'll get a bump in their subscriber numbers enough to hopefully attract a buyer (their finances are a dumpster fire and they're rapidly losing customers) but when the promo ends and all these people leave, they'll be worse off than before they started.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Given T-Mobile's spectrum holdings now "merging" with Sprint (it'd be a de facto buyout) would be nothing more than absorbing their customer base. They'd transition their postpaid over to a real network and maybe keep the prepaid poors on the old Sprint network while dismantling their tremendously horrible patchwork LTE entirely. The prepaids will get degraded service until they're fed up and leave and they'll shutter them one by one while they herd them onto better but more expensive captive MVNOs.

Given Sprint's enormous debt, broken infrastructure, and really bad spectrum it's hard to see where there's much value unless SoftBank is forced to eat the debt. By the time T-Mo is done rolling out its 5G 600MHz network they'll have so much extra (bad) spectrum to sell it will be unreal. It makes sense when you look at the towers they'll acquire and the areas they'll likely be able to fill in on their coverage map (both in rural areas and low frequency coverage in cities when they double their subscriber numbers) but it's hard to see that kind of investment paying back until their 5G 600MHz is ubiquitous and they can put out Sprint's many fires.

On the plus side this would indicate that DT is looking to stay in the US for a good 3-5 years since in the short term this will hurt more than it helps. They wouldn't be looking to crush the yippy dog nibbling at their heels if they were planning to exit like they were five years ago. What a difference a smart CEO makes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

600mhz is not the only spectrum that matters, though. Sprint's 2600mhz holdings will almost certainly be very valuable to T-mobile for the 5G network.

No one puts anything that needs to be used that high in the frequency range because the tighter the wavelength, the less the wave can penetrate solid objects. That's why Verizon and AT&T paid through the nose for 700MHz and why the 600MHz band is so huge for T-Mobile. T-Mo's first 3G spectrum was on AWS, 710 to 1755MHz for uplink, and from 2110 to 2155MHz for downlink, and was vastly inferior to ATT/VZ because of those high-end spectrum bands. T-Mobile's other band is 1900MHz which is the PCS band. They almost have total coverage in 600MHz and what's not will almost certainly be transitioned to Sprint's 800MHz band which also covers everything else. Sprint also has substantial PCS holdings so it's also a viable option, though it makes sense to use that band to supplement T-Mo's PCS band while the 600MHz buildout is in motion then they can dump CDMA off 800MHz and use that for additional coverage on 5G.

tl;dr: Sprint's 2.5GHz band is now and always was useless and they'll almost certainly sell that off to recoup merging costs. It's the main reason Sprint is in the position they're in now, which is completely noncompetitive and it's an albatross of a network. It's less than valuable, it's a liability.

Edit: I should add that 600MHz is the only band that matters. T-Mobile getting that (thank you, Tom Wheeler!) means they'll not only have a nationwide network, but 600MHz means that the towers can be farther apart. Why do you think Verizon has such great coverage? It's not because they love plopping towers down in Wyoming and Montana, it's because 700MHz travels farther, better, than lovely rear end AWS/PCS. which are almost 2GHz. One can't overstate how great of a position T-Mobile is in because of that auction. They'll still be subservient to AT&T and Verizon because they don't own the backhaul, but it will ensure that for a generation at least they'll have the best network in America.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 22, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

I'm gonna disagree with you there. Yes, the 600-700 MHz spectrum is vitally important for coverage and building penetration and those are the two factors consumers care about most. But, the 2.5-2.6 GHz stuff is useful for covering outdoor locations like parks and stadiums and for coming out on top in speed tests. And if you can spread load across frequencies that's also valuable.

But how many upper band frequencies does this company need? Obviously in the short term, they'll be maintaining a hodgepodge of devices with CDMA and GSM and HSPA and LTE and now whatever 5G is going to be, but there's no sensible long term strategy in keeping six networks running concurrently (unless you're Sprint :v: ).

They're going to consolidate on 600 and 800 and use AWS or maybe PCS as a faillback. I'm not sure if combined a Sprint/T-Mo entity controls a wide enough swath of PCS to be worthwhile (AT&T has 2G deployed on PCS) but AWS would be more readily refarmed so I'm guessing they'll go that route since they'd have to keep Sprint's legacy PCS going for a bit.

T-Mobile also has some C-Block 700 that they've generally used to trade for Verizon AWS in some markets that they'll probably also unload (now that there's little benefit to Verizon to hold it since they only bought it to lock out T-Mobile in the first place). 2.5GHz just doesn't matter that much when every other spectrum they own is better and better deployed. They're going to unload some spectrum no matter what they do simply to recoup costs and a complete band is worth more to a potential buyer than their incomplete AWS/PCS networks. No one's going to deploy a cell network on that band anyway just because it's useless without a lower band to actually grab a signal so it's appealing to other industries outside of wireless carriers.

As for the speed tests, it's not faster because of the frequency, it's faster because it's more recently deployed and therefore newer. It's the same reason T-Mobile's 3G HSPA+ was so much faster than AT&T's HSPA, the equipment was a generation newer on the towers, of course it's twice as fast. Verizon and AT&T's 5G networks will be faster than T-Mobile's too, since it will also benefit from newer equipment at a cost of lagging behind T-Mobile by a year or two.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tonic posted:

Has anyone used this? https://www.bevisible.com

$40 unlimited prepaid on Verizon. I think it’s only 5mbps, but no throtttling at 22GB? Would love to hear from someone who has tried it. Looks like you can signup right away.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but how many people could possibly care so little about data that 5mbps is enough but use so much of it that no throttling after 22GB is a selling point?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just switched tot he ATT prepaid $50/8gb plan from the old T-Mobile nerd $30 plan.

Holy poo poo having unlimited minutes is so liberating.

The best part is deleting every saved wifi network but your own because public wifi is like public transportation, slow and for poors only.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

:rip: Sprint: U.S. Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger, a Deal That Would Reshape the Industry. The deal was approved with the conceit that Dish will start a new national wireless network to compete with the now-Big 3. Dish is getting Sprint's prepaid customers (first-party (Boost/Virgin/Sprint-branded) only I think but I'm not sure) and band 26 (800 MHz), 20k cell sites, and a 7-year roaming agreement with T-Mobile. T-Mobile in-turn gets to keep the rest of Sprint's spectrum/cell sites/customers and has also agreed to lease some of Dish's band 71 (600 MHz) spectrum.

That's a way better deal for T-Mobile than had been rumored. They get to dump all the prepaid losers on Dish, get access to Dish's 600 hoard, and get to essentially be Dish's network while they build out. It's difficult to see why Dish wanted to do this at all since it really seems like all upside for T-Mo and all downside for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Lol at dish

"yeah we got satellite TV and prepaid mobile service, you wanna bundle that poo poo"

To be fair, Dish was always the poverty-tier television option. I'll bet their customer demographics line up almost exactly with those of Sprint prepaid options. If Dish merges with Snappy Tomato Pizza they will effectively control the lives of every person south of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Mississippi.