Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Super Metroid had a really simple yet effective narrative. I was totally ready to destroy mother brain after she kills the baby Metroid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Super Metroid had exactly the amount of story it needed and we were happy with that. Prime's scans were a logical step from that, and we were happy with that too.

I don't know where the hell Other M came from

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
that said going back and replaying Super Metroid I imagined Samus narrating to herself incessantly in her Other M voice while wandering through Brinstar and had a hearty chuckle

Soral
May 30, 2009

the dude who localized other m posted:

Samus's detached monologue speaks to the reticence of a wounded character, one scarred by the tragic events of her childhood. People who call out that scene as anything but empowering are kind of missing the point, in my opinion -- she does end up torching Ridley, after all. There is no courage without fear, in my mind, and knowing that Samus overcomes that repressed terror makes her all the more heroic than someone who plods forward without a hint of humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwN5jS4bt4

hmmm yes there is nothing more courageous than breaking down and sobbing in front of a monster you have murdered like 8 times at this point, and needing to be rescued from said monster by a man

Soral
May 30, 2009

"being infantilized in a literal way is empowering" -- other m developers

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Soral posted:

"being infantilized in a literal way is empowering" -- sakamoto
ftfy. maybe by declaring it a "spinoff" nintendo is setting the gears in motion to pull an Inafune on him

once he's out they should either reboot the series or make Metroid 5 where samus is a fugitive from the galactic federation. either one is fine by me

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well I just got the perfect ending for the NES Metroid for the first time ever.

It has not aged well and is real clunky and it actually has slowdown if more than 5 enemies are on a screen. I forgot how awful most of the bullshit complicated jumps in older games were. Took me like 5 minutes to get back up that line of regrowing blocks after beating Kraid.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Y-Hat posted:

ftfy. maybe by declaring it a "spinoff" nintendo is setting the gears in motion to pull an Inafune on him

once he's out they should either reboot the series or make Metroid 5 where samus is a fugitive from the galactic federation. either one is fine by me

Like i said in some other thread, give retro studios the IP

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
oh God I forgot that Samus literally turns into a child during that scene

SYMBOLISM

Y-Hat posted:

they better ditch the Fusion suit though, it's ugly as hell

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
just loving remake super metroid

every year. treat it like a goddamn madden franchise. new maps but little improvement. just get a bunch of shitball romhackers together and call it a day

it will shut nerds the gently caress up and give other nerds more than enough gristle to gnaw on and whinge about how metroid has been ruined and everyone will be happy

also do this to castlevania SotN

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I am unironically in favor of all those suggestions

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Anatidaephobia posted:

Like i said in some other thread, give retro studios the IP
i would support this wholeheartedly

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Soral posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwN5jS4bt4

hmmm yes there is nothing more courageous than breaking down and sobbing in front of a monster you have murdered like 8 times at this point, and needing to be rescued from said monster by a man

this is so gross
i mean it's just loving vandalism

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

does anyone have that nintendo power page featuring samus detailed to be like 7 feet tall in the varia suit and swole as heck, if so, please post. I cant find it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The suit was really cool when it was actually a suit and not a magic power that samus summoned with sparkly effects.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

The Sharmat posted:

Science Team rules

One of the less talked about atrocities Other M committed was making the change that without the influence of Mother Brain and Ridley the space prate are just mindless animals, essentially erasing Science Team.

Other M could not be less canon.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Poniard posted:

does anyone have that nintendo power page featuring samus detailed to be like 7 feet tall in the varia suit and swole as heck, if so, please post. I cant find it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
metroid is pretty loving simple really. i don;t know how you could gently caress it up. she's a dispassionate killing machine and keeps her feelings to herself and doesn't let them get in the way of her work, showing qualities that are traditionally thought of as masculine

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i mean theres the argument that masculine-izing a female character in the manner of sarah conner in terminator 2 is not making a proper strong female character but thats why we have super metroid where we glimpse her softer maternal side. like we see the poignantly weird and twisted way it comes out "on the battlefield" to quote the guy from metal gear solid. it's very straightforward and economical

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
if you think samus is a ~strong woman~ or a role model then lol

lol if you think that about any loving video game character

"I would not have found the strength to become a senator if not for the 8 billion hours of mental gymnastics I performed to justify having feelings for a videogame lady y'all might know as... SAMUS A-RAN." (pauses for impressed murmur from the crowd, allows self a small smile)

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
sonic the hedgehog is my role model

i dont know about role models i m just talking about the function of samus as a character and not loving it up

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

matrix ripoff posted:

if you think samus is a ~strong woman~ or a role model then lol
agreed

please use this thread to discuss science team instead

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the next, perfect, game will be a 2d sidescroller designed using the zero mission engine where samus has support from npcs

the npcs are the science team and give you stupid gimmick poo poo all the time while you find good powerups in the wild. the combination will turn out to have endless potential.

except the science team morph ball. do not use the science team morph ball.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

matrix ripoff posted:

zac gorman is so loving twee, on the nose and self indulgent that my rear end in a top hat starts itching every time i see one of his cartoons

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
why would i look to a living, breathing human being for inspiration when i have my nintendo right here? gently caress this gay meatspace

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Yeah but how are people supposed to masturbate to this

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
maybe that's still accurate and the average height in the Federation is 7'8"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Samus wears no socks, I wonder how bad her foot fungus gets from being in the suit the entire time.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

The Taint Reaper posted:

Samus wears no socks, I wonder how bad her foot fungus gets from being in the suit the entire time.

mmm hmmm :fap:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mega64 posted:

if you have to ask, you're not a real gamer.

Dec 26, 2012

Mega64 posted:

The Taint Reaper posted:

:ms:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Best rendition of Samus was on the cover of the Action Replay for the GBA and DS.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
best Samus was the Samus at the end of Prime 1 that looked like a person instead of an anime

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

best Samus was the Samus at the end of Prime 1 that looked like a person instead of an anime

all Nintendo games have been anime since the beginning, NOA just didn't market them that way, but NES had green hair anime samus.

Not only that but there's been buttloads of Metroid manga.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 23, 2014

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

The Sharmat posted:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Mario is an anime, Metroid is an anime, Zelda is an anime, f-Zero is an anime, Kid Icarus is an anime, Fre Emblem is Anime, pokemon is an anime.

Donkey Kong might get a pass because he was designed by Americans and Europeans, but his OG leotard look was most definitely anime.

Seriously compare Mario and Luigi to all the bearded/moustache anime guys, they fit right in. And it becomes especially evident when you see "Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen".

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 23, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

but NES had green hair anime samus.

wasn't that due to technical limitations where green was supposed to be blond like Terra from FF6?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Mario is an anime, Metroid is an anime, Zelda is an anime, f-Zero is an anime, Kid Icarus is an anime, Fre Emblem is Anime, pokemon is an anime.

Donkey Kong might get a pass because he was designed by Americans and Europeans, but his OG leotard look was most definitely anime.

Seriously compare Mario and Luigi to all the bearded/moustache anime guys, they fit right in. And it becomes especially evident when you see "Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen".

I'm just saying it suits some franchises more than others

I guess SNES Samus was an anime too but at least she had rock hard abs. Easily second best portrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

wasn't that due to technical limitations where green was supposed to be blond like Terra from FF6?

No the NES version was the only version of the game to have samus playable without the suit on. the Famicom version lacked the feature entirely, it was made specifically for the USA.

The only thing technical that was created due to limitations was the morph ball because the guys couldn't make a crawling animation.

• Locked thread