Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
all I know is that when she takes the suit off in Prime 2 and Prime 3 anime Samus is jarring as gently caress compare to the art style of the whole rest of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i'm a feminist *jams metroid cart into chinese pawn shop famicom clone*

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

all I know is that when she takes the suit off in Prime 2 and Prime 3 anime Samus is jarring as gently caress compare to the art style of the whole rest of the game

How is it jarring when people praise Nintendo for always including brightly colored cartoon characters?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Seriously compare Mario and Luigi to all the bearded/moustache anime guys, they fit right in. And it becomes especially evident when you see "Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen".

i really wish mario had evolved more like armstrong from full metal alchemist than the way he did

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
samus shouldn't have a personality ("strong, silent type" is good enough) and metroid games shouldn't have stories. no NPCs either, there should be a prime objective and that's it, the rest is just lonely exploration

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Prime's logs are the perfect point between NPC interaction and loneliness

Samus all readin' blogs off pirate computers and going "Heh, that science team." and going back to exploring

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

The Taint Reaper posted:

How is it jarring when people praise Nintendo for always including brightly colored cartoon characters?

read the second half of their post

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JethroMcB posted:

samus shouldn't have a personality ("strong, silent type" is good enough) and metroid games shouldn't have stories. no NPCs either, there should be a prime objective and that's it, the rest is just lonely exploration

But Metroid has never conveyed loneliness because you're always surrounded by room fulls of enemies.

Dark Souls did a better job at conveying loneliness, bar has been raised. Dark Souls even has people who you meet and tell you to go away or be overly caustic to you further enforcing the loneliness.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hog Butcher posted:

Samus all readin' blogs off pirate computers and going "Heh, that science team." and going back to exploring

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
when does Science Team get its own game?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hog Butcher posted:

Yeah Prime was the platonic ideal of how I would want story in a Metroid game. On the fringes, there if I want to explore it.

The Taint Reaper posted:

But Metroid has never conveyed loneliness because you're always surrounded by room fulls of enemies.

But the enemies are just part of the atmosphere; alien obstacles that are faceless, voiceless. They exist only to kill or be killed, the only meaningful interaction you can have with them is through the barrel of your gun.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

when does Science Team get its own game?

Science Team needs no game, Science Team is a state of mind.

JethroMcB posted:

But the enemies are just part of the atmosphere; alien obstacles that are faceless, voiceless. They exist only to kill or be killed, the only meaningful interaction you can have with them is through the barrel of your gun.

Which is pretty much every single player shooting game ever. Do people feel the same way about Doom? No they don't. That was just stuff the fans built up to try and raise Metroid up and above what was physically there.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 23, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Science Team needs no game, Science Team is a state of mind.

I want to play the poo poo out of that state of mind then

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

:frogout:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dark Souls is pretty good game if you care about atmosphere as well as Riven and Myst. You have time to actually take it in since it's a very slow and methodical game. If a game is non-stop action you tend to miss the actual atmosphere.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
The whole "Metroid is so lonely" thing is mostly nerds projecting being lonely themselves because they only bought cool singleplayer games. If you were at all disempowered or there were signs of decay or abandonment in any Metroid environments other than like the wrecked ship then it might have an argument but yeah no.

The whole "faceless enemies" thing is also kind of bunk because of the entire concept of Prime scan logs. The Space Pirates have a legitimate hierarchy and community and you're exploring their stuff, often with them still in it, and all the creatures aren't far off in terms of detail and trying to seem like an ecology.

Basically, I'd probably give a kidney for another Metroid at this point, but

The Taint Reaper posted:

That was just stuff the fans built up to try and raise Metroid up and above what was physically there.

e: I'll start rolling my eyes at people bringing up Dark Souls comparisons as soon as games start doing things that Dark Souls does as well as it does.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I will never buy a dark souls because the fans are worse than juggalos

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
not buying a game because it's "too popular" is pretty dumb

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I played it for like ten minutes once and yeah it's hard as hell because the controls are loving retarded

I'd say it's on par with superman 64

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Flynn Taggart posted:

I will never buy a dark souls because the fans are worse than juggalos

dark souls fans are pretty loving awful but i think they're cool games once you get around the learning curve

really overrated games, sure, but pretty cool

the series peaked with dark souls anyway :smug:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If I knew Dark Souls was so triggering I would have said Shadow of Colossus, Gone Home or Stanley parable.

The point still remains that the crushing loneliness for 8-16bit games is mostly projection

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I'm gonna project my foot up your rear end

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Flynn Taggart posted:

I'm gonna project my foot up your rear end

Fine I'll say Journey and Flower, gawd.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

yeah, a game where you always have some dork by your side does a great job projecting a feeling of loneliness.

super metroid has a better atmosphere than dark "oops we forgot to write the story, item descriptions are enough right???" souls

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

yeah, a game where you always have some dork by your side does a great job projecting a feeling of loneliness.

I played it in offline mode. Nobody can bother you.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Why the hell would you play Journey offline

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ladyboy pancake posted:

Why the hell would you play Journey offline

Because maybe I don't want to feel rushed when looking for that magic flower?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Flynn Taggart posted:

I played it for like ten minutes once and yeah it's hard as hell because the controls are loving retarded

I'd say it's on par with superman 64

you're not even trying

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Silver Striker posted:

super metroid has a better atmosphere than dark "oops we forgot to write the story, item descriptions are enough right???" souls

are you being serious here

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Super Metroid is pretty awesome

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Samus wears no socks, I wonder how bad her foot fungus gets from being in the suit the entire time.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
some people lead exciting lives

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

quakster posted:

some people lead exciting lives

Samus leads an exciting life

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

If I knew Dark Souls was so triggering I would have said Shadow of Colossus, Gone Home or Stanley parable.

The point still remains that the crushing loneliness for 8-16bit games is mostly projection

It's very intentional and effective in Super Metroid though. Having mindless aliens and space pirates around doesn't make it lively.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
when people talk about metroid being 'empty' and 'lonely' i assume they're talking about metroid 2 which was really empty and had you crawling along the walls of big caverns with little reason or direction

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

when people talk about metroid being 'empty' and 'lonely' i assume they're talking about metroid 2 which was really empty and had you crawling along the walls of big caverns with little reason or direction

metroid 2 was my first metroid and it was pretty atmospheric for a game boy game when i was a kid. i really didn't like having to go further and further into the bowels of the horrible planet alone

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

welp I was gonna talk about sentimental stuff but jesus christ that picture

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The combination of horrible fantasy and child like technical execution really gives that image serial killer vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
is that from the same guy who makes all those comics about people being turned into clothes

I remember that poo poo from the old YCS webcomics thread and I refuse to believe that more than one person could have that hosed up fetish

• Locked thread