Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
New teaser video, which I guess is basically Rivers claiming once more that he's a poor soul that's been led astray by the music industry. I'm telling you, his head is going to explode if Everything Will Be Alright In The End gets a lukewarm reception again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US9XVGVxPFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is that Nina Gordon?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DominoDancing posted:

New teaser video, which I guess is basically Rivers claiming once more that he's a poor soul that's been led astray by the music industry. I'm telling you, his head is going to explode if Everything Will Be Alright In The End gets a lukewarm reception again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US9XVGVxPFE

I think the word "pretentious" actually applies here.

baka kaba posted:

Is that Nina Gordon?

I think so. I guess it's supposed to be some kind of joke about how her solo albums were really terrible yet also way more popular than Veruca Salt.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm neither a fan of Weezer nor Rivers, so take this a grain of salt.

Trying to blame a full decade of lovely albums on industry pressure, when you've openly admitted to trying to widen your fanbase by making formulaic pop-rock garbage, is pretty much despicable. If he had stood by his selling out, he'd of at least saved some sort of face, but he's going down slow, trying blame everyone else, rather than taking any ownership of his lovely music.

Also having a band cruise is THE definition of being an industry shill.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
actually kid rock has a cruise and he is not a shill. bob ritchie doesn't play that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

HollisBrown posted:

I'm neither a fan of Weezer nor Rivers, so take this a grain of salt.

Trying to blame a full decade of lovely albums on industry pressure, when you've openly admitted to trying to widen your fanbase by making formulaic pop-rock garbage, is pretty much despicable. If he had stood by his selling out, he'd of at least saved some sort of face, but he's going down slow, trying blame everyone else, rather than taking any ownership of his lovely music.

Also having a band cruise is THE definition of being an industry shill.

Well, it sounds more like he's blaming himself for actively courting the approval of music executives. I mean, he basically says exactly that in that mediocre song they just released, so I'm not sure where you're getting all this self-righteous anger from. I think the industry executives can speak for themselves if need be.

And I also don't get why people are throwing around the "pop-rock" label like it's some sort of derogatory word. Pop-rock's a legitimate genre with some good music to its name. And Weezer's had a pop-rock sensibility right from the very start. Obviously they started out with a harsher sound that owed a lot to punk and heavy metal, and over the years their sound changed into something that fit in better with the more mainstream pop offerings coming out today, but they weren't some sort of totally avant-garde band that totally eschewed catchy hooks and verse-chorus-verse structure.

If you don't like power pop and poo poo, I get that. But it's not like it's some great artistic sin to experiment with different genres, even popular ones. I know there are a lot of quotes from Cuomo about how much he hates the old stuff and intentionally went in a pop direction in order to sell records, but most of the time he just comes across as a massive troll. I mean, read those old message board posts by him that were posted earlier and tell me he isn't intentionally taking the piss out of people. Based on everything I've seen and heard from the guy, he just seems to be a really weird dude who has this weird masochistic compulsion where he desperately wants to be liked and appreciated, but when he finally gets what he wants, actively antagonizes people so they'll be mean to him instead. I don't think you can take anything he says at face value.

After reading this thread, I think I can agree that after Pinkerton he probably just wanted to make catchy music, be successful, and stop pouring his heart and soul out all the time to be judged by the world. If you think about it, it's kind of a lot to ask of someone to continually broadcast their deepest, most private thoughts to a mass audience on album after album. The fact that he's apparently not super depressed anymore is probably part of the change in direction as well.

This admittedly tends to make for music that isn't as emotional and raw as the old stuff, but oh well, I guess. There are other bands.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 14, 2014

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Benedick Cuckold posted:

If you think about it, it's kind of a lot to ask of someone to continually broadcast their deepest, most private thoughts to a mass audience on album after album. The fact that he's apparently not super depressed anymore is probably part of the change in direction as well.

Yeah, this is biggest reason they'll never be another album like Pinkerton. I think by now he's truly lost it. He couldn't even manage to squeeze any inspiration out the bus accident.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Benedick Cuckold posted:

And I also don't get why people are throwing around the "pop-rock" label like it's some sort of derogatory word. Pop-rock's a legitimate genre with some good music to its name. And Weezer's had a pop-rock sensibility right from the very start. Obviously they started out with a harsher sound that owed a lot to punk and heavy metal, and over the years their sound changed into something that fit in better with the more mainstream pop offerings coming out today, but they weren't some sort of totally avant-garde band that totally eschewed catchy hooks and verse-chorus-verse structure ... If you don't like power pop and poo poo, I get that. But it's not like it's some great artistic sin to experiment with different genres, even popular ones.

I've never seen anyone claim that Weezer were avant-garde in the slightest. (Apart from Rivers' band before Weezer, Avant Garde, I mean.) It's just that they used to write great songs and now they don't.

It's not even a genre thing. Whether you like Lady Gaga or not, her music sounds (or sounded) cutting-edge and urgent, whereas Can't Stop Partying sits at the bottom of its barrel. It's an incredibly bland, limp-wristed pastiche of that kind of pop.

quote:

I know there are a lot of quotes from Cuomo about how much he hates the old stuff and intentionally went in a pop direction in order to sell records, but most of the time he just comes across as a massive troll. I mean, read those old message board posts by him that were posted earlier and tell me he isn't intentionally taking the piss out of people.

He very much is, and I don't necessarily believe anything he says about hating Weezer's old songs or Only In Dreams being "disneygay" or anything. But I do think it's revealing that he did that at all, that he deliberately fostered this antagonistic relationship with his fans. The guy's hosed up.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 14, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah one of Rivers' main issues these days is that he wants to be a satirist but is absolutely horrendous at it. Just think about stuff like the Timbaland lines from Pork & Beans.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The other thing is that their music was pop-rock or power-pop or whatever in the first place, and the idea of them becoming "more mainstream" doesn't make sense when their first album is still their best-selling album, with multi-platinum sales figures.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
All I know is that Pinkerton and the Blue Album were good and that everything they've done since then has been poo poo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bown posted:

Yeah one of Rivers' main issues these days is that he wants to be a satirist but is absolutely horrendous at it. Just think about stuff like the Timbaland lines from Pork & Beans.

I felt Pork and Beans was descent satire because it was direct. It felt like something you could believe he felt. I mean, Weezer had a big hit with Beverly Hills, and here's their new LP, and of course, they had been around for a long time. It was a song about being old in a young man's game. Sure, it's not GREAT satire, but it wasn't as bad as Troublemaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LSGvziX_6Y

This is some... I mean come on. Here's the thing about satire - you have to know what you are satirizing. You have to understand it. It's a mixture of being so dumb and being so badly written. It's just a character you can't get into.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Thanks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Why does Rivers sound so different on "My Name is Jonas?" It really doesn't sound like the same dude at all from Pinkerton onwards. Maybe we should let that original guy front the band.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Jeff Wiiver posted:

All I know is that Pinkerton and the Blue Album were good and that everything they've done since then has been poo poo.

Green Album has some fantastic songs like Hash Pipe but yeah everything else is awful, Red Album is maybe the most disappointing album I've ever bought.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Man, I totally forgot Weezer existed.

A song wishing it was the 90s again so Weezer could rake in some positive reception and dough? Jeez. That is literally how not relevant Weezer is to music these days.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 16, 2014

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

blakout posted:

Green Album has some fantastic songs like Hash Pipe but yeah everything else is awful, Red Album is maybe the most disappointing album I've ever bought.
There are a handful of tracks since the first two albums that are good, but probably not enough to make up an entire album. CD2 of the deluxe version of The Blue Album is better than every album they've put out since Pinkerton. It really is amazing how good they were and how quickly everything went to poo poo. One of the most unique career trajectories I can think of in modern music.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are a lot of bands that started strong and went to poo poo for years and years, Weezer just happen to be the one everyone keeps paying attention to for some reason. After Pearl Jam's third or fourth album they have been churning out pretty terrible albums for the past 15 years, Counting Crows first album or two were fine and then they became insufferable, etc. "Had it, lost it" and all that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted:

There are a lot of bands that started strong and went to poo poo for years and years, Weezer just happen to be the one everyone keeps paying attention to for some reason. After Pearl Jam's third or fourth album they have been churning out pretty terrible albums for the past 15 years, Counting Crows first album or two were fine and then they became insufferable, etc. "Had it, lost it" and all that.

In a lot of ways Weezer had higher highs and lower lows, though. I'd hardly call PJ's post-Yield or No Code output bad, just kinda same-y and dull. There's nothing like Troublemaker in there.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Popcorn posted:

Has there ever been a quality drop-off for a band more severe and more sustained than Weezer's? Seriously, any contenders? Liz Phair maybe?

Nah, because even though Liz Phair was a completely pathetic sell-out attempt to be a teenage pop star, the singles were actually pretty good, at least.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Thanks Rivers, that's totally really easy to read and in an order that makes sense.

Edit: so you don't have to squint:
code:
1. Ain't Got Nobody
2. Back To The Shack
3. Eulogy For A Rock Band
4. Lonely Girl
5. I've Had It Up To Here
6. The British Are Coming
7. Da Vinci
8. Go Away
9. Cleopatra
10. Foolish Father
11. The Futurescope Trilogy
    I. The Waste Land
    II. Anonymous
    III. Return To Ithaca

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 21, 2014

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I dig everything up to and including (most) of the Green Album.

The whole deal with Rivers post-Pinkerton to completely disassociate himself with music that had any kinda depth or personal connection is such a layered thing, but it was bound to happen because that's who Rivers is. The dude is really self-aware and figures he can be liked by and please everybody, and as a result you get a smorgasbord of music genres that don't connect whatsoever and he ends up pleasing nobody. That's why you end up with some of the most literal, on-the-surface music ever (eg. "We Are All On Drugs", "Where's My Sex", and just about everything in "Back To The Shack").

I don't know if it's that he's ever lost his touch, because there's been flashes of it this whole time - "Perfect Situation" / "Longtime Sunshine" / "Miss Sweeney" / "Unspoken" ... there's interesting writing to be found on all of these tracks. And "Hash Pipe" / "Ruling Me" are fantastic. To me, Bad Weezer Songs are like a 50/50 split between trying to write plastic radio pop-rock, and Rivers just being an overly self-conscious control freak trying way too hard to be liked.

Homestar Runner fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 21, 2014

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I agree with the general concenus of this thread, in that Green and Maladroit were a step down from the first two, but they were the last albums with more good songs than bad. It's really been a string of either eye-rolling or just downright bad songs since then, with some gems in there such as Ruling Me.

My girlfriend barely tolerates Weezer from any era, and she can't distinguish the difference between a Blue album song or modern Weezer. What's funny is the only Weezer song she'd say she likes is Automatic, which is sung and written by Patrick Wilson, so I guess she just really doesn't like Rivers.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Weezer is The Simpsons of music.

Really, really good. Many many years ago.

But somehow still putting out new material you want to be amazing, but it just wont be.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
sadly such short songs, but if you are itching for more blue/pinkerton sounding stuff, check out ovens. wish the vocals were a little different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGp9kDdFfpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbJGOgxQ6-Q

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

juniperjones posted:

Nah, because even though Liz Phair was a completely pathetic sell-out attempt to be a teenage pop star, the singles were actually pretty good, at least.

Were they, though? I don't remember that. All I remember is something about how she fucks a guy so young he owns an XBox. :monocle:

I really love Liz Phair's first two albums and everything else she's ever done is baffling and painful. How do you go from making an album that regularly makes "100 best albums ever" lists to basically wanting to be "Avril Lavigne, but a MILF".

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

pfs Write posted:

sadly such short songs, but if you are itching for more blue/pinkerton sounding stuff, check out ovens. wish the vocals were a little different.

I really dig these. Thanks for sharing!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

precision posted:

I really love Liz Phair's first two albums and everything else she's ever done is baffling and painful. How do you go from making an album that regularly makes "100 best albums ever" lists to basically wanting to be "Avril Lavigne, but a MILF".
I didn't care for S/T and Somebody's Miracle at all but Whitechocolatespaceegg was great and Funstyle was incredible.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't really paid attention since the Green Album, but I tried Maladroit the other day and liked it way more than I expected to. I'm taking a 5hr bus ride today, so I'm gonna listen to all the allegedly-lovely newer albums in reverse order.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The best thing Weezer's done lately is being poo poo so that this thread could happen, which lead to me discovering Liz Phair. No idea how I'd never heard her before, but there you go.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Did anyone ever actually buy The Pinkerton Diaries? I always wanted to, but $75....

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rusty Staub posted:

Did anyone ever actually buy The Pinkerton Diaries? I always wanted to, but $75....

Ahahaha, oh my God, this thing's existence is just too perfect. Wow.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

pfs Write posted:

Thanks for posting these. Ovens are good, and cool, and their songs are exactly as long as they need to be.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Rusty Staub posted:

I haven't really paid attention since the Green Album, but I tried Maladroit the other day and liked it way more than I expected to. I'm taking a 5hr bus ride today, so I'm gonna listen to all the allegedly-lovely newer albums in reverse order.

Working backwards, Hurley is the best of them until you get to Green imo. But yeah you are gonna experience a whooooole lot of miss and the occasional random "hit", welp enjoy!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Rusty Staub posted:

Maladroit has always been way underrated, in my opinion. There are some really great tunes on that album.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I feel like people who fight that fight are just making the best out of a bad situation. There are some songs that are pretty good, but the best song on Maladroit doesn't hold a candle to the worst song on Blue or Pinkerton.

Anyway, the new Rentals album is dope and you can catch them on tour with Better Weezer (Ozma) currently.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Rusty Staub posted:

I did! I even paid extra to import the book from the US because I'm such a sucker.

It's a beautiful book, and a surprisingly good read. Some of it makes me laugh quite a lot, like when Rivers meets some Japanese girls and tries to impress them with his Japanese, but they call him a pervert and demand free show tickets. He's a good writer, funny and self-deprecating.

I think how much you enjoy the book depends not only on your interest in Pinkerton (and to a lesser extent Blue and Songs From the Black Hole) but also your interest in the twisted enigma that is Rivers Cuomo. It's painful to read his writing after Pinkerton fails, and watch him commit to paper his dedication to writing songs about stupid BS from then on.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 24, 2014

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

trip report!

Death to False Metal: didn't have high hopes, therefore wasn't disappointed. also, lol @ the Unbreak My Heart cover
Hurley: expected to hate this, liked some of it
Raditude: expected to really hate this, instead hated myself for liking so much of it. why are the bonus tracks so much better than the actual album?
Red Album: what IS this poo poo. also, again, why are the bonus tracks the best ones?
Make Believe: i still hate "Beverly Hills," but i'm pretty ok with the rest of the record? who knew
Maladroit: surprisingly excellent
Green: pleasant enough but who cares

The Singing Chav posted:

Blue and Pinkerton. The B-sides from those two are better than anything that came after.

also this

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

precision posted:

Were they, though? I don't remember that. All I remember is something about how she fucks a guy so young he owns an XBox. :monocle:

I believe she explained that it was because she wanted to provide for her child.

Which is an incredibly stupid reason, in my opinion. Cuz I wonder how much more money her lovely half-assed music has been making her lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly don't think liz phair's worst pop poo poo from a decade ago is any worse than say taylor swift or jepsen or whatever other female pop star is getting praise the past few years.

• Locked thread