Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

Man you guys lied to me when you said CS:GO was good. I tried it out and my guns appeared to mostly shoot coughs and whispers instead of bullets, also the Games thread told me that I just need to practice for hundreds of hours for it to be fun. This is the shooter thread, please do not recommend dota again

Edit: Also Hawken seems okay but pretty boring if you don't have buddies to play with and all of my buddies are addicted to dota, which is a neverending thorn in my side

i recommend dota. or new friends. or no friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Great Joe posted:

cs is poo poo

your loving mom, douchebag

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

DoubleDonut posted:

Man you guys lied to me when you said CS:GO was good. I tried it out and my guns appeared to mostly shoot coughs and whispers instead of bullets, also the Games thread told me that I just need to practice for hundreds of hours for it to be fun.

nah. it's not hundreds of hour or anything dumb like that and they're dumb if they say that, maybe that's to learn every little map trick or something. it isn't long before you figure out "oh always try to shoot them in the head" and "oh this gun sucks if they have armor" and "oh just use the M4/AK if I can afford it" and poo poo but it can take a few matches.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm not that great at it but the largest part of shooting and aiming in CS is to already be aiming certain places rather than trying to aim there when you realize you have to. Also do not move if your trying to shoot.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If you do have to move then you gotta like cancel your momentum and poo poo before you try to shoot. Just don't shoot while your moving if at all possible because it's probably not gonna be cool.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The best thing I ever learned about CS shooting is to not think you can do what it looks like the people are doing in spectator mode, not least of all because the spectator mode in valve FPSes is one of the least accurate things I've ever seen.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Wormskull posted:

If you do have to move then you gotta like cancel your momentum and poo poo before you try to shoot. Just don't shoot while your moving if at all possible because it's probably not gonna be cool.

thats a real fuckin dumb way to say ' quickly tap the opposite movement key every time you stop to shoot'

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I assume I'm not talking to complete babies usually.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Bloodmobile posted:

thats a real fuckin dumb way to say ' quickly tap the opposite movement key every time you stop to shoot'

no wormskulls way was better

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
insurgency is good

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

oh just use the M4/AK if I can afford it

Wormskull posted:

do not move if your trying to shoot
congratulations you are now "good" at counterstrike

now kill yourself because counterstrike is bad

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Also do not move if your trying to shoot.

So that's why CS appeals to retards that can't walk and chew at the same time...

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
use a gun with a high fire rate and move while shooting to own all the dudes who stop

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The realistic FPS movement needs to die. I want to shoot guns I cannot buy in real life. I want devs to be creative rather than try to please the faggots.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Hog Butcher posted:

use a gun with a high fire rate and move while shooting to own all the dudes who stop

yes the p90 is quite good too

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
goldeneye sealed my love of the p90 forever

Dec 26, 2012

Kazvall posted:

The realistic FPS movement needs to die. I want to shoot guns I cannot buy in real life. I want devs to be creative rather than try to please the faggots.

im fine with realistic fps if it holds to that standard and doesnt try to be arcadey. if you want the game to be arcadey (most fps games do) then yeah bring on the cool fuckin weapons and not realistic poo poo

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
resistance's weapons are cool as gently caress

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think the shooter that CS tries to be is like a cerebral awareness/reading thing more than a simulator or whatever. I know you can do that otherwise (like Quake) but at least the reason you don't want to move and shoot in CS is consistent with what the game is about and not just simulation for simulation's sake.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
America's Army, lol :shepface:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

lol

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

it was a fun game

when i was 14

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kazvall posted:

this

10000000000x this, jesus christ.

I want repeating nailguns, plasma rifles and other bullshit from the doom/quake/unreal era.

not to mention that way we might get a shooter that isn't completely brown and gray

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like ut's weapon set a lot even without the sniper rifle. chaosUT owned a lot and the crossbow from it would be a perfect replacement for the sniper rifle

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Not multiplayer, but Tower of Guns has weapons that nail a few classic FPS archetypes, yet still manage to be fun

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

never played it, is it as URRAH and jingoist as I expected it to be?

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

DoubleDonut posted:

I still remember the precise point I stopped playing that loving game

It's the update that added the Javelin

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SWAT 3 and 4 had really good single player because it wasn't just hide and seek. You seriously got to feel like you were playing the role of a cop going up against dangerous odds. You had tools that weren't guns, grenades and a knife, you had tactics that weren't "hope I hear that guy's footsteps and catch him from behind"

AS AN ELEMENT...BREACH, BANG AND CLEAR. GO WHEN READY.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ekster posted:

never played it, is it as URRAH and jingoist as I expected it to be?

There is actually no overt propaganda beyond the fact that you are always playing the Americans and your opponents are always the Insert Enemy Here. But the guys who play it are dumbfucks and the game itself is kinda bad

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Great Joe posted:

SWAT 3 and 4 had really good single player because it wasn't just hide and seek. You seriously got to feel like you were playing the role of a cop going up against dangerous odds. You had tools that weren't guns, grenades and a knife, you had tactics that weren't "hope I hear that guy's footsteps and catch him from behind"

AS AN ELEMENT...BREACH, BANG AND CLEAR. GO WHEN READY.

I die a little inside knowing that we'll never see a proper SWAT 5. Heard the co-op is fantastic too but I never had the chance to play it before the online died.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the f2p tribes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The other day, RPS had an article about "Shootmania." What is this.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

DoubleDonut posted:

Tribes was cool until Hi-Rez realized that they were Hi-Rez, TF2 used to be a cool class-based game but now everyone has weird laser beams and candy canes and poo poo, CS:GO appears to be a choice between whether I want to play CoD with a mouse or learn every map perfectly and turn my mouse sensitivity way down so I can point at the exact right pixel forever, killing floor is dead, payday 2 has godawful stealth segments and random drops, CoD and BF are CoD and BF, I guess Chivalry is pretty cool.

What game should I play, Imp Zone??????

Th ere were some pretty good shooters for the gambo color

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The other day, RPS had an article about "Shootmania." What is this.

an absolutely horrid fps that tries so hard to be an "e-sport" its ridiculous

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

an absolutely horrid fps that tries so hard to be an "e-sport" its ridiculous

Oh. It is unfortunate that such a title should be wasted on such a game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think shootmania helped murder Quake Live because it took away a few pro players for a month or two and I guess sapped there will to game because they were never seen again.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I think shootmania helped murder Quake Live because it took away a few pro players for a month or two and I guess sapped there will to game because they were never seen again.

most of them never even took a break from ql to focus on shootmania because it was apparent to everyone that it was doa and the only reason it had any scene at all was because the publisher was paying out the rear end to make tourneys happen

e: also id is solely responsible for the death of ql, id never gave a flying gently caress about the game after the adware scheme didnt work out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

god drat i didnt know people really played quake live

i just played it for an hour straight and god drat is it fun. why cant people make games like this anymore

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

god drat i didnt know people really played quake live

i just played it for an hour straight and god drat is it fun. why cant people make games like this anymore

Because people like camping and shooting things without thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
people are making them. projects like reflex, reborn, rekt, telos and deftgrinders are in development but being tiny indie projects they are taking forever to come out. reflex is going to fuckin own if they ever manage to finish it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khf-kI7j9Eo

• Locked thread