Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Der Luftwaffle posted:

F-Zero GX. Story mode races needed to unlock the other cars got hard as gently caress really quickly, seemingly everyone is faster than you and you're supposed to compensate by exploiting the physics system by airbrake-turning on open stretches to increase speed to ludicrous levels which game never tells you and which I never got to work properly. I had everything unlocked at every difficulty level in F-Zero X, which was understandably hard as hell towards the end, so I have no idea what possessed the designers to ramp everything into stratospheric difficulty and alienate casual gamers.

This game will forever be cited in conversations about hard games, and it can't really be overstated: The final race on story mode is a race on a frictionless, twisting, wall-less track against one other racer, who is also a ghost, so you can't gently caress up his car or slow him down. He flys around the whole thing at boost speed (so, like 5x times your own speed) like a goddamn slot car, meanwhile you have to carefully, carefully adjust your speed for each and every turn because if you fall off once you die and the race is over. If you're too careful though you'll also lose because you really need to be boosting constantly to win, except you can't because you only get ~5 per lap, and only starting on the second lap, and only supposing that you hit the (one) energy bar at the end of the lap.

Oh, and this is on Normal mode. There's Hard and Very Hard after that.

I had to look up a Youtube to see it being won on Very Hard because I earnestly thought it was impossible. This guy is obviously very good and he kills it, but just to give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCB7Rv0bPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Captain Lavender posted:

Help me out on this video. You say it's a wall-less track, but it looks like he's bouncing of the side and getting a boost for it. Is there some glitch or mechanic he's exploiting? I can't figure it out.

Yeah he's definitely using some kind of technique to get small bursts of speed. I played this game for years and don't know what it is--probably something like slide-boosting in mario kart. He comes very very close, one pixel close to falling off the track many times there.

I was reminded in another thread of Timesplitters 2, a fantastic game that had some very hard story levels as well. The Easy and Normal difficulties were fair enough, but Hard sent it into a new dimension. Level one is a stealth mission, and the number of enemies/cameras increases drastically to the point that not moving at the EXACT right time and killing all the bad guys in EXACTLY the right order at the right time results in a fail. Not to mention the helicopter you have to fight with a stationary gun at the end when a single bullet can kill you. I managed to make it to level four. I did get to level seven by playing co-op by myself and essentially getting two lives-- 7 is a wild west scenario that begins with a guy shooting you within the first second and depleting most of your life, so it was pretty much necessary. after that it's basically High Noon but you're outnumbered 50 to one. I never managed to not get shot at the start. Still couldn't beat it.

doug fuckey has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Jul 24, 2014

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Abugadu posted:

I think that's the one ridiculous game I actually beat.

I got stuck on Snake, Rattle n Roll, also by Rare. Precise 3-D jumping, timed levels, not a lot of lives. I tried using a Game Genie to beat it, only to find out that using the infinite lives code made the final boss unbeatable.

A friend and I poured afternoons into this, being a rare co-op game. It wasn't necessarily cruel in its difficulty, but it did get quite challenging. One or two times one of us made it deep into the higher levels but we never did beat it. Fun game though.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
How can a fun game be bad, isn't that like the sole metric of determining if a game is good or not

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

peter gabriel posted:

Riven is the only game I have ever bought a guide for (pre internet, wow I am old) - what the hell was that game all about? I didn't even know what was happening as I followed the guide.

I played this game a lot as a kid (though I never even beat Myst). Whole different kind of difficulty. There was something about a weird language you had to learn, and the underwater tram was a nightmare. I recall getting into weird situations sometimes and wasn't sure how, since I was basically doing the same thing every time and pulling random levers, so once in a while a giant fish would appear or something. What a bizarre game. If I played it now I'd do so with a notebook. The guide was great though, because it gave you progressive hints before divulging the answer. I read through it some a long time ago too rather than playing the game and some of the stuff you were supposed to figure out was really incredible.

• Locked thread