Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Amgard posted:

Ninja Gaiden 1 isn't just hard, it's malevolent.

BIIIIRDS :argh:

You know, it was really only one bird that caused broken controllers. That one at the end of the snow level (3-2? Not looking it up) at the big jump right before the boss. That guy cost me so many game overs.

Though Ninja Gaiden is unquestionably hard (I can't beat it fairly) going back as an adult I've found a large percentage of nes games' difficulty comes from me having been both a poorly coordinated little kid, and being a total chickenshit then. For instance, there's no way lil Choco would parse that the safest place when dealing with Hammer Bros is right in front of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Abugadu posted:

I think that's the one ridiculous game I actually beat.

I got stuck on Snake, Rattle n Roll, also by Rare. Precise 3-D jumping, timed levels, not a lot of lives. I tried using a Game Genie to beat it, only to find out that using the infinite lives code made the final boss unbeatable.

:respek: Yeah, I had to learn this nasty lesson the hard way too. Haunting Starring Poulterguy for the Genesis did the exact same thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Your Sledgehammer posted:

What I've found fascinating as I've gone back and played old NES games is just how hard some of its most popular and critically acclaimed games are. Super Mario Bros. 3, for instance, was never really touted as a super hard game, but I honestly never beat it until I became an adult, and only then with the help of a little exploit in a room absolutely full of coins in World 7 where you can get 7 or 8 lives before you die via timeout. The platforming in World 7 and 8 of that game is incredibly difficult, especially World 8. There are portions of that where I'd routinely burn through 20 or 30 lives on just one level. It really is brutal.

I dunno, a year ago I ended up playing a bunch of the mario games as an adult, and didn't have nearly as much trouble with them as I did as a child. But part of that is I played with maps in front of me. Also, going from Lost Levels to 3 makes 3 seem a bit easier. I admit, a lot of the airships have crazy frustrating jumping puzzles, and most all of world 8 just isn't loving around anymore, but it's not that hard to get to Bowser's castle if you keep your head about you. Besides, even without the infinite coins exploit, the game just throws 1-ups at you everywhere.

Unrelated, but a game I loved as a kid that was stupid hard was Eternal Champions--both versions actually. Looking back, the game is absoludicrously retarded and is so a product of the early 90's in its style, but it's a game I played far too long. I loved the little "danger room" style minigames you could play especially. But what sets the game as so hard was that the AI very clearly cheats to win. You have a meter for your special moves that refills over time, only the AI's meter never goes down. Also, once you manage to make your way to the eponymous Eternal Champion, you have to fight five versions of him, each of which has cheap super-damaging moves, and if you lose, it's instant game over with no continues allowed, meaning you have to work all that way all over again. Then, in the Sega CD semi-sequel (think of it as 1.5) they added a second boss after him! Then again, they also added other odd characters like a politician (who throws red tape at you and tries to censor your video game violence,) animals that were to scale to the human fighters, and the actual literal Grim Reaper.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Weezy Baby posted:

Does anyone remember Ghoul School on NES? I remember I thought it was hard as hell and I never got far at all in the game, but don't remember enough to actually talk about the game. And I could never beat the pirate level of that Disneyland game on NES either.

I recently did an LP of Adventures in the Magic Kingdom for the Disney Games Megathread. That pirate level was hard, and the only way I can get through it is by using my star power for invincibles half the way to the candle (which trivializes the level) Also, you need to book it the whole way if you want to not run out of time. All that said, it's still easier than the space mountain level. Who thought a high speed QTE would be a good idea in a NES game that was aimed at young kids?!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, the autopia and thunder mountain railroad were fairly simple and the trivia even a toddler could beat through sheer brute force. When I did the LP I ended up finding an interview with the lady who was in charge of Capcom USA's Disney games about it. Turns out the Japanese designers had never even seen pictures of the park, and she forced capcom to ship them out for a tour. Also, they were going to add other levels that just had no bearing on reality, like a splash mountain level that sounds suspiciously like the turbo tunnel, complete with pink walls.

• Locked thread