Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Nethack, the first roguelike I ever played. It took me five years of play to to beat it, and that was with heavy wiki reference. Combine super high difficulty(at least early game) with random generation and a huge amount of complex gameplay mechanics and you get this shitshow:

- You ate the wrong corpse to avoid starvation? Oops, you got poisoned and died.
- You experimented with alchemy and mixed acid and water? Oops, it exploded and you died.
- You tried zapping an unidentified wand to see what it does? Oops, it was a wand of lightning, and its blast bounced off the wall and killed you.
- You picked up a basilisk corpse? Enjoy being a statue(yes, you're dead).
- You safely picked up a basilisk corpse while wearing gloves? Well you better hope you don't try to walk down any stairs while encumbered, or you'll fall over and stone yourself.
- You read a random scroll to identify it? Enjoy your permanent ball and chain to slow you down.

There are better roguelikes, but nothing will take the place in my heart that Nethack has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread