Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Despite the early game being slow and samey this is pretty darn entertaining to read. I'm also enjoying the various Adria portaits and I look forward to you branching out more and more as you progress :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

queserasera posted:

And Fire Bolt does him in. Boss monsters always drop items and their items are always good magic items. Whatever it is should sell well.
Wait, how are you hitting him with fire bolt from there? Do the stairs not block it? It sure looks like they should.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

How bad is the pixelation if you play on a big screen?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Sindai posted:

Wait, how are you hitting him with fire bolt from there? Do the stairs not block it? It sure looks like they should.

he used Fire Wall, not Fire Bolt

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sindai posted:

Shots from the side won't pass through the wall, but standing at that exact spot, spells pass through the stairs. :iiam:

It goes back to the whole abusing-a-bug argument from back in the day, i.e. why is the Mana Shield bug considered exploitative and stairtrapping the Butcher isn't? From what I remember, the Butcher is coded to get within melee range of the player using the shortest route possible, not taking into account scenery objects. He's simply not smart enough to open doors or walk around gratings. By that reasoning, he's not smart enough to know how stairs work. On the other hand, the Mana Shield bug is a programming error, as the game bases its stun check on your remaining red life pool total, not your combined total with Mana Shield.

Besides, this is the only boss in the game who falls for that trick. The guy on level 3 is way too smart for that. He'll probably be my first death-by-monster.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

queserasera posted:

He'll probably be my first death-by-monster.

are you sure about that

For how old it is, Diablo 1 is surprisingly playable. I played the poo poo out of D2 and got D1 when I saw it for little money somewhere on a lark, but I still had a lot of fun (with enough information regarding certain types of yellow zombies and shrine effects, granted). Conversely, I got Fallout 2 for very cheap and had no loving idea what I was doing in that game. Definitely not having fun, though. Too clunky for my refined modern tastes :wotwot:.

Anyway - great job on this!

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

This really makes me want to reinstall DII. (It would make me want to reinstall DI, but ehhhh.)

Ed. Oh maybe I'll reinstall Torchlight. Thanks, Thread.

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 8, 2014

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010
The Butcher: Scariest boss ever

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Fornadan posted:

The Butcher: Scariest boss ever
There is something utterly perfect about a dude dying in a puddle of his blood hyping the poo poo out of this boss, you're like :smug: peh this doesn't happen to player characters :smug:, then you find this room that is just stuffed to the gills with dead flesh, and

AH

FRESH

MEAT

and welp you're part of his collection seconds later

It's a Dark Souls moment back when more games did them and it still stuck in everyone's mind. Hell, it worked on me and I played this first in dunno 2007? Butcher will gently caress your poo poo and it's great :D.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think I actually took down the butcher without cheesing him once. It was with a warrior that burned all of the potions to do so though.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I don't think I ever killed the Butcher in single-player without cheesing him with gratings. I got a dungeon level 2 without a grating or accidentally blocked the door with a corpse? Try again, Butcher's going to whack me dead.

Speaking of the Butcher, what's the deal with (at least on single player) some quests not spawning every game? I seem to recall the corpse not spawning in town a whole bunch of times, and subsequently no Butcher around.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
IIRC, there are five groups of 2-3 quests each, and one quest in each group is randomly left out of each game. Since the Butcher is part of group 1 and there are three quests in the group, there's a 33% chance of no Butcher.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 9, 2014

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

FoolyCharged posted:

I think I actually took down the butcher without cheesing him once.
All this talk about the butcher being the games hardest boss is kinda freaking me out a little. Am I from some crazy parallel reality where he was a mildly challenging, but still level appropriate boss?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Ottumon posted:

I don't think I ever killed the Butcher in single-player without cheesing him with gratings. I got a dungeon level 2 without a grating or accidentally blocked the door with a corpse? Try again, Butcher's going to whack me dead.

Speaking of the Butcher, what's the deal with (at least on single player) some quests not spawning every game? I seem to recall the corpse not spawning in town a whole bunch of times, and subsequently no Butcher around.

IIRC, you either get the Butcher on level 2, or Leoric on level 4. The way you tell is if the water in the town well is blue or yellow (which also denotes another quest).

More mod talk! In the Awakening mod, the Butcher spawns on DLvl 1.

With the door open.

And with all of the levels being random, you can't guarantee that the opening to his room won't be facing, say, the second half of the dungeon, so you probably won't be able to clear at least the first floor before you have to tackle him.

With regards to The Hell, more things must have changed because I encountered neither the Butcher or Leoric but I did find the meteor on Dlvl 3, which is out of normal depth for it.

Also the Catacombs in The Hell can suck it. Groups of scaled up winged Goat-men that can cast the creeping lightning spell I don't remember the name of but it sucks so much. It's like Diablo 2 super fast lightning enhanced uniques all over again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Reicere posted:

All this talk about the butcher being the games hardest boss is kinda freaking me out a little. Am I from some crazy parallel reality where he was a mildly challenging, but still level appropriate boss?

The Butcher is Proto-Duriel, basically: a boss who does nothing but run up to you and hit you hard, and who's fast enough that you absolutely cannot avoid taking at least a few hits. This completely wrecks any build that is predicated on not getting hit. The strategy especially for melee classes boils down to "have enough healing potions", which isn't exactly all that interesting.

It's a dumb design and Duriel makes it even worse with his loving frost aura, but that's D2, not D1.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
It's been a long time since I played D1. Memories. :)

With regards to the Butcher, that bastard killed me so many times before I decided to learn Stone Curse, then stoning the Butcher and whacking until he's dead. Just so you know, my character was a warrior. :pseudo:

Reading this thread with great interest. Going to see how our beyond naked protagonist handles the nastier things to come.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Butcher is Proto-Duriel, basically: a boss who does nothing but run up to you and hit you hard, and who's fast enough that you absolutely cannot avoid taking at least a few hits. This completely wrecks any build that is predicated on not getting hit. The strategy especially for melee classes boils down to "have enough healing potions", which isn't exactly all that interesting.

It's a dumb design and Duriel makes it even worse with his loving frost aura, but that's D2, not D1.

No, the worst part about Duriel is that by the time you loaded into his room, you were already dead.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sir Shion posted:

No, the worst part about Duriel is that by the time you loaded into his room, you were already dead.
"TP safe?"

"sure sure"

Duriel is abysmal, but nothing is as bad as Duriel with a summon-only Necro (which, for the veterans who stopped playing at some point [or didn't watch the latest LP], is perfectly possible and even very good in most cases ever since patch 1.10). Duriel and Diablo on Normal are the single biggest challenges for the build, everything else is hilariously easy. But one-hit kill on every skeleton and you with no option to hurt the guy yourself is proper nonsense.

Anyway, the Butcher definitely has the same idea behind, he'll just run after you and never stop. With little to no windup OR winddown to his attacks, that's very painful very fast, let alone the sheer damage he deals. If you are a warrior with a somewhat nice armor and a few potions, you can of course avoid all the bullshit by just going toe-to-toe and tanking the hits, but still - Butcher can't be hitstunned at that level probably (can he even in general?), so it's tough no matter what.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

someone didn't watch My Name is Kaz's Skeleton Only LP of Diablo 2 :v:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Aces High posted:

someone didn't watch My Name is Kaz's Skeleton Only LP of Diablo 2 :v:

I know I haven't. And that I would like to.

However, I cannot find it. Would you happen to have a link to this magic?

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

I know I haven't. And that I would like to.

However, I cannot find it. Would you happen to have a link to this magic?

Try skeleton.

(Seems it never got archived. Shame, that.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Fat Swordsman posted:

Try skeleton.

(Seems it never got archived. Shame, that.)

Indeed. it is the most beautiful LP as art example ever. Or one of them, at least.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

RickVoid posted:

IIRC, you either get the Butcher on level 2, or Leoric on level 4. The way you tell is if the water in the town well is blue or yellow (which also denotes another quest).

Nah, you get (pick two) the Butcher, Ogden's Sign, or Gharbad the Weak.

The best week of Summer 1997 for me was when I got Ogden's Sign and Gharbad the Weak.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

betaraywil posted:

Nah, you get (pick two) the Butcher, Ogden's Sign, or Gharbad the Weak.

The best week of Summer 1997 for me was when I got Ogden's Sign and Gharbad the Weak.

Huh. I could swear that you never get the Butcher and Leoric in the same run.

Maybe that's just been my experience.
:negative:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

for whatever reason I don't like playing Diablo without experiencing both Leoric and the Butcher in the same playthrough. Gharbad the Weak is funny and a bit of comedy in a very creepy game but once you've experienced him once he's kind of a letdown (let's be fair, when you kill him your character always responds "I am not impressed :geno:"). Maybe I just feel that way about Leoric and the Butcher because it feeds into the lore of the game more, especially Leoric. Hell, considering that the whole game is based around his son being corrupted and being taken over by one of the Prime Evils you'd think the sidequest that involves exorcising the mad king would always be in the game but alas.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sindai posted:

IIRC, there are five groups of 2-3 quests each, and one quest in each group is randomly left out of each game. Since the Butcher is part of group 1 and there are three quests in the group, there's a 33% chance of no Butcher.

Jarulf's Guide, p. 151-152 posted:

In single player, the quests that will appear in a single game are chosen at random. But there is some structure in the way they are chosen. Three quests are always present in every game: The Chamber of Bone, Archbishop Lazarus, and Diablo. If you play Hellfire, all the new quests will also always be present. The other quests are all organized into groups. From each group a specific number of quests are chosen for every game. The table below summarizes the different groups and how many quests from each group are chosen each game.
  • The Curse of King Leoric / Poisoned Water Supply (chooses 1)
  • The Butcher / Gharbad the Weak / Ogden’s Sign (chooses 2)
  • The Magic Rock / Valor / Halls of the Blind (chooses 2)
  • Zhar the Mad / The Black Mushroom / Anvil of Fury (chooses 2)
  • Warlord of Blood / Lachdanan (chooses 1)

Just for fun, I started a singleplayer game with a warrior and played to dlvl 2 so I could fight the Butcher. If you're playing normally, upgrading your gear, buying potions, and clearing both levels before cracking his door, you can fight him in melee and survive without getting stunlocked.

Purplebeard
Feb 27, 2014
Heh. I always thought that the Butcher was a guaranteed quest in single-player mode.

I still love this game for its atmosphere (I agree with whoever said that the sequel failed to reproduce this) and addictive gameplay. I felt so goddamn smart as a kid when I stumbled upon the strategy of putting every single point into Magic and obtaining a staff/book of Mana Shield. That was one of the first times that I felt I really 'broke' a game, and started a trend of feverishly trying to min-max every other RPG I played after I'd figured out the rough maths behind the mechanics.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

5 - Taking a page from LizardWizard's book

Finally had a couple hours to record an update. Tinkered around with the resolution settings, not having any luck so far.

My original plan: do a quick pass through levels 1 and 2 of the dungeon with a grand tour of level 3.

I scooped up a Cloak of Light from Griswold for +20% light radius. Items with the "of light" suffix are considered cursed items because the higher your light radius, the more critters you activate. 100% light radius means monsters just beyond the edge of the map know exactly where you are and prepare the rotisserie accordingly. Light items are the only cursed items with an enchantment the game considers positive. The opposite, "of dark," gives -20% light radius.

Remind me to dig up the stories of Arnold Layne, the "blind flashlight" BNM, who carried a full set of both Light and Dark gear to activate all the monsters with one set (thanks to a bug) and put on the other set so he saw nothing and the monsters saw everything. Good times, those.

I leveled to 8 while wandering around dlvl 1 looking for books. I think the points went into VIT?

Dlvl 2 spawned the stairs down right next to the Butcher's room. An interesting setup for a stair trap. Misclick and I'm at the mercy of his cleaver. I decide to use Telekinesis to open his door and give myself as much room as possible to survive CD-ROM spinup and running like the dickens afterward.

I manage to trap him and use a scroll of Fire Wall on him...and then I misclick. He's out of the trap, taking off 2/3 of my life in one swing, but he doesn't stunlock me. A few more laps around the stairs and I get far enough ahead to stick him back in the trap and Firebolt him to death.

I decide to go for broke and visit dlvl 3. First, a trip to Adria.

: I sense a soul in search of answers!

I'm torn between two useful books. (I'll never buy a book of Phasing.) Lightning casts a single long bolt of Velveeta shells and cheese lightning in whichever direction you're facing. Unlike Charged Bolt, Lightning doesn't bounce off objects. I've avoided wasting the money on Town Portal scrolls as long as possible; memorizing the spell means I've got a get-out-of-dungeon free card in my back pocket as long as I have the mana. Purchasing either one means selling my cloak of light.

TP it is.

Clearing the first part of dlvl 3, I find three scrolls of Town Portal. :psyduck:

And a bunch of undead. Level 1 Holy Bolt gets it done.

Also a bunch of empty skeleton tome rooms and vacant dungeon space. Where the heck is everybody?

Glowing squares behind doors are a good indicator of boss monsters. I think I've found the Skeleton King.

Like the Butcher, he's resistant to fire, but unlike the Butcher, I can't confuse his pathing and park him somewhere. I get out of range of his big-rear end sword and fire Holy Bolts. I have just enough mana to keep him stunlocked and make him dead.

The Skeleton King has a group of twenty or so skeletons around him. And they're archers. loving arrows. Fortunately, the same grating wall letting their arrows in will let my Holy Bolts out. I figure out where they're standing off screen by their arrow trajectory and aim true.

And then I run out of mana. I have no money to identify the King's drop. I have a choice. I could cut my losses and start a new game, scum up more cash on a newly-spawned dlvl 1. But I distinctly heard a ding on the other side of that door. Some skeleton dropped a piece of jewelry, and if that's a cursed ring or amulet, dammit I want it.

So I decide to do something stupid. I pop a TP scroll, top off my health at Pepin, and head to the catacombs entrance in Tristram. Maybe I'd get lucky and find either mana or gold for mana or items to sell for gold for mana? At this point I have nothing to lose.

I'm lucky to start in an area with three chests. One of them drops a unique ring...and I have no way to identify it.

I sell an unidentified Constricting Ring for 250 gold. :negative:

After that, I come up with a strategy. Return to the dungeon, cast TP. Use remaining mana to kill skeletons. Run into the room and scoop up items and gold. (Telekinesis costs too much.) Take the TP topside, turn items and gold into mana. Repeat until everything's dead. Time: about 45 minutes.

Ran into four--count 'em, four--unique monster bosses in that room. Every monster type has a unique boss, and if that monster type is present on the dungeon level, there's a chance a boss will spawn with a monster pack of the same type. I ran into Pukerat the Unclean (Fallen One boss), Skullfire (Skeleton Archer boss), Brokenhead Bangshield (another skeleton boss), and Goretongue (zombie boss).

And...nothing else interesting happens. I eventually level up to 10 (all points in VIT) and find a single sword of light among all the blues I hauled back to Tristram.

Next time (this Labor Day weekend maybe?) we'll visit the catacombs proper and I'll figure out how to work FRAPS correctly.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Good to see this back. Also good to see the RNG is eternally a douche.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wow, the screenshot quality has really improved in this update! Great work :golfclap:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Just a reminder that whatever you want, the RNG will steadfastly gently caress you out of it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'll be the bummer and say that copying Lizard Wizard is not a good idea, but seeing as that isn't his idea originally it doesn't really matter. Look forward to future updates havin less to do with MS paint.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'll be the bummer and say that copying Lizard Wizard is not a good idea, but seeing as that isn't his idea originally it doesn't really matter. Look forward to future updates havin less to do with MS paint.

It really depends on what you're copying.

At least he's not dual commentating with Gamingo.

Or doing anything at all related.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Never go full Lizard Wizard.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Never go full Lizard Wizard.

Always go full Lizard Wizard :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Also I know it was kind of danced around a page ago, but while Hellfire was official, it wasn't a first-party expansion like Diablo 2 got. It was a third-party deal done by some barely-used subsidary of Sierra, which may be why it mostly used a bunch of Blizzard's assets that were dummied out of the game but were still left in the MPQ file as opposed to creating a huge number of new assets.

It's also why it's buggy as poo poo and seems half-complete despite Blizzard generally putting at least a little polish into their titles. They greenlit someone else to do the project, but didn't put enough focus into it (they were busy working on Starcraft and Diablo 2 at the time, I think?) to make sure it got the same QA they would've gotten it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 30, 2014

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

6 - The long way around

Welcome back! Here's where we are now. Barring any amazing book drops, my MAG will stay where it is until my 20s. For now, points will go into VIT, and possibly into STR and DEX if I can find cursed gear to wear.

I picked up another cloak of light from Griswold during the last session. I'm starting to outlevel the suffix. Soon I'll be able to purchase "of radiance" items for +40% light radius. I also have about 6K in gold and a couple scrolls, probably Healing or Town Portal. Now that I can reliably buy a belt of potions, I tend to forget I'm carrying them.

I buy the Firebolt. I wouldn't buy the book of Mana Shield even if I could afford it--I don't have the mana pool to make it worthwhile.

(Now, before anyone feels like going all :viggo: about all the broken poo poo you can do with the Mana Shield spell, I'm going to devote an entire update to it when I learn it and start buffing with it. Please hold off till then so we can all :viggo: together.)

On the path from Tristram to the cathedral, there's a little side path that seems to go nowhere. Town Portals appear here, and since I'm flying solo, it's a safe place to keep my gold so I don't lose it in the dungeon if I die.

(Remind me at some point to screencap my spellbook.)

Today, we're going to start in the catacombs and traverse backward through the dungeon as far as I feel like going. So let's get started.

Catacombs load screen. The spiral staircase reminds me of the sound booth loft in my college's old theater: straight out of a Scooby-Doo cartoon with less canned laughter.

First level of the catacombs, level five of the dungeon. The bright tiles around my feet mean the cloak's doing its job. The layout down here isn't as square as the cathedral and there are far more paths to nowhere. This isn't to say there aren't familiar features. See that circular thing near the top?

It's a goat shrine. They act like the cathedral shrines except goat ones aren't named. You don't know if you've activated a bad shrine until it's too late.

Speaking of too late, I hate this drat level already.

Black Deaths are the fourth and final class of zombie-type monsters. These guys move fast (for zombies) and have a chance of decreasing your total hit points by one with a successful hit. PERMANENTLY. Given the twisty nature of the catacombs and its love of narrow corridors, it's only a matter of time before I'm ambushed and short a few HP.

I'm going to be avoiding sharp corners as often as possible today, hence the title for this chapter.

Walking around to the other side, I creep close enough to the room opening to get a monster on screen, aim, and fire.

What's a goat shrine without goat demon guardians? Like many other monster classes, these come in four varities, and like skeleton, they come in ranged and melee versions. Unlike skeletons, if you break line of sight with goats, they give chase. Snipe them from a distance to thin out the herd, then wake the rest of them up and pick them off at your leisure.

Scoop up the gold and/or items, and don't touch the shrine. Black Deaths are bad enough.

Only a lone Stone Clan archer on this side. Never hurts to be cautious though.

Say hello to another type of scavenger: the Shadow Beast. The only major difference between scavenger monster types is agility. Hungry Shadow Beasts can take a few bites out of you, run away to gobble up a monster corpse for health, and come back to finish the meal.

After a while, the number of doors, entryways, and room openings get a little Escher-esque.

I beat up a few bats and get to 11.

Glooms are the fourth-tier winged demon but they're not the most obnoxious--that honor's saved for their third-tier cousins and Tyreal help us if they're down here too.

Now that I have Town Portal memorized, I'll be casting one whenever I think I'm about to get my rear end handed to me. This kind of closed-door-with-empty-open-area setup sets off my hand-me-my-rear end alarm.

More Glooms and the other type of scavenger, not bad.

Waking up some goats...

Well now. I can handle the Black Death. Whoever's shooting those arrows refuses to be baited.

Yipe! Definitely skeleton archers. Down in the catacombs, large packs spawn as shrine or skeleton tome guardians.

Fire Wall only hits a few of them. If I want whatever's in that room, I need to carpet the place in fire or take potshots with Fire or Holy Bolt.

And now's a good time to go topside.

But not before I use Telekinesis to grab a blue claymore and this.

Like Mana Shield, Stone Curse is pricey and unnecessary at level 11. If I want to do a successful 3@30, though, being able to transform my enemies into stone for 2-10 seconds is vital. Scrolls of the spell come in handy for boss fights. And it sells for 200 gold.

I waste the rest of my mana orb sniping skeletons before going up.

Screw you, Cain. :mad:

: I sense a soul in search of answers! (source)

Flash creates a ring of energy around you that deals magic damage, and while the animation looks like a phosphorus hula hoop, only the four cardinal directions immediately around you damage enemies. Screw this spell.

And I forget to use Fire Wall. Screw this place.

Ten minutes of dodging arrows later, I find out it's a shrine room. And not even a good shrine at that. Spooky Shrines are one of the two multiplayer-only shrines. You get nothing, and your teammates get potions that completely refill their health and mana.

I hope there isn't a giant sack of disappointment on this side of the room too.

A close-up on the guys who tried to turn me into a pincushion earlier.

Another shrine room--and the stairs up! Levels 5, 9, and 13 have three sets of stairs: one up, one down, one to go to town.

So what's in the shrine room?

:stonk:

augh get away from me

Sure enough, I lose a hit point.

For another loving Spooky Shrine. SCREW THIS PLACE.

I try going around that other useless shrine. Now that's what I want to see: more reading material, less zombie syphilis.

Not this again. It's like the dungeon doesn't want me to be here.

Or maybe it does. #12.

I do the smart thing this time and collect the books first: Telekinesis and Heal Other, how useful :jerkoff: (And yes, Heal Other is pretty much that.)

Not again, you fuckers. Never again.

Okay, this might make up for it. Jewelry has low drop rates and high value--I'll be happy no matter the enchantment on this ring. Once space is at a premium in my pack, I'll keep >5K rings to liquidate as necessary.

That's worth a cool two grand. Not bad. Had I been playing a regular sorceror, I would've kept this for the STR bonus.

And potion money. ("Vendor trash" became a thing in Diablo 2, I believe?)

And back to the dungeon with a full belt. The Town Portal loading screen is still pretty awesome.

My original starting point's where those four parallel yellow lines are. I've cleared out most of the north half of this place, so time for the south half.

Goat demons have magic resistance, and iirc that becomes an immunity at higher difficulty.

I haven't talked that much about spell progression because few spells have clear upgrades. Fire Bolt has a stronger version but I need four or five levels of it to make that version a better choice than plain old Bolt. I have yet to find anything resembling a lightning spell--kind of odd because there are three different ones to choose from. Then there are the buff spells (Healing, Mana Shield), the utility spells (Town Portal, Telekinesis), and the niche spells I haven't really found yet (like Flash).

Right below my pointer is a boss square. As I tried to describe in the previous update, you can tell where a boss is standing if you don't have line of sight because the square where the boss is lights up.

So yeah, that thing about not having a lightning spell.

Meet Foulwing. "Some magic resistances" means he's resistant to fire. (The game doesn't explicitly tell you that. How did people play this game before Jarulf's Guide?)

Like all boss monsters (but not the so-called superuniques like the Butcher) Foulwing shows up with 5-7 monsters of his type. He and his accompanying Glooms have an attack pattern like a different catacombs monster I have yet to see: melee when close and make kind of a beeline/dive bomb attack when there're three or more tiles between them and you.

Keep your distance (but don't make it look like you're keeping your distance) and you'll be okay.

Nobody's resistant to Stone Curse, not even Diablo. Hopefully I can pump enough fire into Foul to kill him before he unfreezes.

Of course, the stronger the enemy, the shorter the duration. Since I haven't learned Stone Curse, I'm casting it as a level 1 spell. So that's what, 5-6 seconds? I got this.

Hrm.

This may be a problem.

No "may be" about it.

This is gonna suck.

Foulwing isn't fast but he's persistent. I run laps around the area, get far enough ahead of him to fire 2-3 shots, run away before he hits me (or just after he hits me), heal, try again.

He doesn't regenerate, but at this rate, neither will I.

Maybe Adria will sell me something lightning-related.

Or maybe Adria's conspiring with the random number god.

Maybe this and the scroll of Stone Curse will make a difference.

He's taken enough damage, probably.

Maybe.

Maybe

you'll think of me

when you are all alone...

Maybe

the one who

is waiting for you

will prove impatient to kill your sorry rear end untrue

Then what will you do

Maybe

you'll sit and sigh

wishing that I were near so you could kill me that much faster

Maybe, you'll ask me

to come back again...

...and maybe, I'll say

gently caress you, Foulwing, I'm going to level 4.

Good loving riddance.

Here's hoping there's a book of lightning somewhere on this level.

Hell, even a can of bug spray. I ain't picky.

...wait a minute. Does this feel boss pack-like to anyone else?

Boss pack-ish?

...you have got to be making GBS threads me.

EXTRAS:

Matt Uelmen - Catacombs theme

(h/t to fleshweasel for the Tindeck hosting)

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
That's amazing :haw:. When I played this game I played pretty much exclusively warrior, sometimes rogue. I also clicked on all the shrines. Black Deaths were one of my two favorite enemies because of their fancy color :downs:. I'm kind of sad that you're playing on multiplayer and will therefore miss a couple of quests and items. It always got me real happy to get Arkaine's Valor in the catacombs. Are there any multiplayer-only quests?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

...I never realized that about Black Deaths.

I also never realized that the little scavenger jobbies regained health when they ran away. I thought they just did that as a fun little animation to provide flavor.

I wonder how much of that is having played as a little kid and how much is that you need to sperg out/read the guide of someone who has sperged out to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

so THAT'S what 'Where Avarice fails, patience gains rewards' gives you.

I did not have the internet when I played Diablo

Also Black Deaths and negative shrines >: (

Though there are also some super neat shrines.

• Locked thread