Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

everyone loves the first Diablo, there's a certain charm to it (like walking in town)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have played this game I don't know how many times and I always find new uniques (even though there are only a certain amount programmed into the game)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah when I first went online (this was LONG after I had beaten the game as a kid since it took a while for the family to get internet, and for the parents to let me play anything online) I spawned in town and a decked out Rogue walked by and dropped a bunch of "of the Stars" or whichever were the "+x to all attributes" suffixes in front of me and then just disappeared. I was grateful, sure, but man it was probably the nicest experience I ever had online. I have fond memories of Diablo 2 online of walking outside town and being instagibbed by people's damaging auras

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Leif. posted:

My nostalgia bone is thrumming right now. Something about Diablo 1 is still fresh and unique. Very psyched for this LP so far.

For me it's the music. Even though there are only six pieces written for the game they are so memorable. Hell Tristram's theme can be found in all three of the games (and my personal favourite is hearing that familiar strumming lick when you kill Diablo in D2) and I feel that a huge part of why this game is a different beast than its followers has to do with the atmosphere it sets up.

I remember a long time ago when I was kicking around gamefaqs (so a LONG time ago) and I was reading some user-submitted reviews for games I grew up playing, such as Diablo and this person gave the music a low score and he said something about how the music was discordant and out of tune. Now musician he was not but whatever, that struck me with how weird the Tristram theme is. You start the game and you are listening to this hellish march that is the title and menu theme and then you are transported into this desolated town and it's kind of like you're listening to the last local musicians play this dirge to point out that yes this town has been rocked with disaster and you should turn away if you are not prepared for what it will entail.

Of course as the game goes on the music gets more and more unsettling (the Caves are my favourite, especially since you can hear a child crying at one point). The more I think about it, the more I like Diablo for it being more of a survival horror RPG as compared to D2 and D3, which are more just regular action RPGs, definitely the whole idea that when you die you die instead of just respawning back in town (ok, that happened in multiplayer in D1 but you know what I mean) makes you think more strategically when fighting.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

why would a Paladin class have no magic :raise:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

someone didn't watch My Name is Kaz's Skeleton Only LP of Diablo 2 :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

for whatever reason I don't like playing Diablo without experiencing both Leoric and the Butcher in the same playthrough. Gharbad the Weak is funny and a bit of comedy in a very creepy game but once you've experienced him once he's kind of a letdown (let's be fair, when you kill him your character always responds "I am not impressed :geno:"). Maybe I just feel that way about Leoric and the Butcher because it feeds into the lore of the game more, especially Leoric. Hell, considering that the whole game is based around his son being corrupted and being taken over by one of the Prime Evils you'd think the sidequest that involves exorcising the mad king would always be in the game but alas.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh goatmen, they are a quick way to death if you get bogged down in melee with even ONE if you are not a Warrior. They attack so drat fast that it is pretty easy to get stun locked, so much so that even running away can be a challenge.

Truly when this naked man meets Diablo he will have many scars marking his journey :allears:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that's debatable, I have friends that loved playing D2 but never touched the original and so when D3 came along the asked me (because I was/am a huge Diablo fan) who the gently caress Lacdanaan and Adria and the others were and I just said "this makes a shitload more sense if you played Diablo" and it actually turned them away from D3. I'll be honest it left a bad taste in my mouth too. The stories in D1 and D2 were not spectacular but Blizzard tried their best to make sure the two were still fairly separate entities. Pretty much the only true links between D1 and D2 is Cain, Tristram and everything you find there, and the fact that the Dark Wanderer is the PC from D1 (although the Rogue and Sorcerer make cameos as well).

The stuff from D1 that was found in D2 didn't bear a huge impact on the overall story so it was more like set dressing. However that changed in D3 and it kind of soured my opinion of the game, that and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy in comparison and the incorporation of WoW features kind of took away the uniqueness of the Diablo universe. Sure D2 was more straight RPG instead of Roguelike that Diablo was but it was still a little challenging and you didn't really get a handle on your builds until after a couple playthroughs. I felt D3 cut out a lot of that experimentation

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Toad posted:

No more auction house, characters are not made of paper and no longer collapse at the first sign of enemies, there's a new "adventure mode" wherein you go to places in the world and kill unique bosses for bounties, which give you portal stones you can use to create randomly generated worlds from anywhere in the game, with mixed up enemies, tons of unique and super unique bosses, and once you kill a certain volume of enemies inside the new instance, you have a rift guardian to kill, with an increased chance to drop legendaries.

I don't remember D3 being super hard on release, I played it about 1 week after release and beat it within 2 days (after work hours) but that could be because I made a Monk and specced him for dodge and evade, doing so meant I beat Diablo in like 3 minutes :geno:. D3 was the fastest Diablo game for me and well that's just kinda lame when it's your first playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

maybe it's Diablo thanking humanity so he can prey on them :tinfoil:

No they probably just wanted to be weird and throw something different into the thank yous, you see that a lot in video games

• Locked thread