Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

queserasera posted:

He'll probably be my first death-by-monster.

are you sure about that

For how old it is, Diablo 1 is surprisingly playable. I played the poo poo out of D2 and got D1 when I saw it for little money somewhere on a lark, but I still had a lot of fun (with enough information regarding certain types of yellow zombies and shrine effects, granted). Conversely, I got Fallout 2 for very cheap and had no loving idea what I was doing in that game. Definitely not having fun, though. Too clunky for my refined modern tastes :wotwot:.

Anyway - great job on this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Fornadan posted:

The Butcher: Scariest boss ever
There is something utterly perfect about a dude dying in a puddle of his blood hyping the poo poo out of this boss, you're like :smug: peh this doesn't happen to player characters :smug:, then you find this room that is just stuffed to the gills with dead flesh, and

AH

FRESH

MEAT

and welp you're part of his collection seconds later

It's a Dark Souls moment back when more games did them and it still stuck in everyone's mind. Hell, it worked on me and I played this first in dunno 2007? Butcher will gently caress your poo poo and it's great :D.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sir Shion posted:

No, the worst part about Duriel is that by the time you loaded into his room, you were already dead.
"TP safe?"

"sure sure"

Duriel is abysmal, but nothing is as bad as Duriel with a summon-only Necro (which, for the veterans who stopped playing at some point [or didn't watch the latest LP], is perfectly possible and even very good in most cases ever since patch 1.10). Duriel and Diablo on Normal are the single biggest challenges for the build, everything else is hilariously easy. But one-hit kill on every skeleton and you with no option to hurt the guy yourself is proper nonsense.

Anyway, the Butcher definitely has the same idea behind, he'll just run after you and never stop. With little to no windup OR winddown to his attacks, that's very painful very fast, let alone the sheer damage he deals. If you are a warrior with a somewhat nice armor and a few potions, you can of course avoid all the bullshit by just going toe-to-toe and tanking the hits, but still - Butcher can't be hitstunned at that level probably (can he even in general?), so it's tough no matter what.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did all of the people who didn't understand the D1 tie-ins in D3 miss the giant number of books everywhere meant to narrate the backstory? Usually "you just have to read the datalog!!!" is a stupid argument, but if you for some arcane reason actually care about the horrible story of Diablo, then why don't you read it?

D2 also depends heavily on D1 in Act 1, and NPCs will happily explain to you what poo poo went down. It just doesn't matter because the name of the game is HERE THERE BE DEMONS KILL THEY rear end.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Just played a session of D3 and it's super fun, yes. I didn't dislike it on release like most people, but it did have a few major flaws; now all of those have been adressed and even more cool poo poo was added, it's become a really good game.

Wonder if Hellgate:London could have turned out the same if they hadn't run out of money...

• Locked thread