Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seem to recall that the original Diablo was explicitly designed as being Moria (or maybe it was Angband) with actual production values. Then someone decided to see what would happen if you removed the pause between turns, and they ended up with the "chunky realtime" system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Reicere posted:

All this talk about the butcher being the games hardest boss is kinda freaking me out a little. Am I from some crazy parallel reality where he was a mildly challenging, but still level appropriate boss?

The Butcher is Proto-Duriel, basically: a boss who does nothing but run up to you and hit you hard, and who's fast enough that you absolutely cannot avoid taking at least a few hits. This completely wrecks any build that is predicated on not getting hit. The strategy especially for melee classes boils down to "have enough healing potions", which isn't exactly all that interesting.

It's a dumb design and Duriel makes it even worse with his loving frost aura, but that's D2, not D1.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wow, the screenshot quality has really improved in this update! Great work :golfclap:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sir Shion posted:

I had no idea Black Deaths permanently reduced HP. How the gently caress was that supposed to be apparent.

It wasn't. Diablo 1 was way more in the roguelike genre than its descendents and felt perfectly free to randomly dick you over in obscure ways.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Adventure mode sounds a lot like the Vault in Torchlight y/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

(Any idea why they credited the entire human race there at the end?)

I'm guessing it's like thanking Mom and Dad because without them, you wouldn't exist.

• Locked thread