Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012
I can't wait to see how this turns out. I haven't heard of this gimmick, but I think it's going to end up being a doozy.

I've had a Diablo itch for a little while now, but don't dare try to run it on a widescreen monitor on Windows 7. Barring the fun of getting it running, having it auto-stretch is nasty, even though I know there are ways around this.

EDIT: I found one way to do it. I'll hold off until queserasera posts about it; wouldn't want to step on any toes.

This makes me wonder if a run like this could even be possible with another class...might have to test it out for fun.

WinterSteel fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

senrath posted:

The link in the OP contains special variant rules for both the Warrior and the Rogue to do this.

Guess I'm not firing on all cylinders tonight. Might just have to read it and go for it.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

queserasera posted:

Done and done on the second thread post. Let's discuss. :)

Well, I'd tried those workarounds as well, but was getting frustrated at having a massive stretch over the widescreen monitor. I did happen to find a file, uploaded in March of 2014; so fairly recently, truth be told, that ended up modifying the directdraw dll file. In short, it enables windowed mode from the get-go, fixes any and all color problems without having to run compatibility mode or kill explorer.exe, and allows you to up the resolution (though it's all still the same graphics, just in a bigger format so you don't have to strain too hard to see those rings in the catacomb floors).

The link is as follows:
http://www.strangebytes.com/index.php/projects/1-diablo-1-windows-7-vista-patch=60

The site gives a brief overview of how it works and how to activate in-game. A few minor bugs exist, but nothing truly noteworthy (namely menu draw issues before you start the game. Game plays just fine, though, and I've been playing a lot since I found this the other day.

However, seeing that HD Diablo mod; Beelzebub, I might just have to try that out.

E;FB: RickVoid provided a better overall link. I haven't noticed any crashing on exiting the game, though, so perhaps that's just me getting lucky.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012
That was quite the run through those levels.

However, that spoiled bit...might want to double-check the facts on that one. If I remember correctly, later on, you'll find out the truth.

Let me know if you want the answer in spoiler quotes or not.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

queserasera posted:

It's not Albrecht--and I know who he really is--but the townies are convinced that he's alive down in the dungeon and Laz probably kidnapped him. I think it's supposed to be a big reveal during the quest to kill Laz.

Oh right, that would make sense. I didn't process that bit while I was reading; I merely went with what I knew, not with what the townsfolk knew.

• Locked thread