Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blizzard got the barrels from the same factory that manufactured them for the Donkey Kong universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The biggest crime D3, technically just Blizzard, pulled was the carbon copy of world locations. Look at D2 and D3: Act 1 involves hilly grasslands, main locations include a cathedral, cemetaries and underground lair/religious sect. Act 2 is desert world, a mosque-styled building, a weird extra-dimensional location that may be a laboratory. Act 3 starts to get a little different but is incredibly reminiscent of Throne of Baal, snow world and finding allies in the wastes, caves. Act 4 is the first original location, but has influences of D2's fourth act.

You could also argue that Act 2 in D3 has influences of both Act 2 and some Act 3 (with the jungle themed areas) and Act 3 has a mix of Act 4 and 5 from D2.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. :downs:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

D3's Act 5 also shits all over Pandemonium now that i think about it. Then again if they could have made that place look like it does in D3 back in 2000-ish they probably would have.

Don't forget the fact that they incorporate the lovely Jungle maps in Act 5!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
D3 started out as a horrible mess because the item drops were utter poo poo and it had a P2W system with the auction house, not that that mattered since they didn't have (Do they even have it yet?) PVP system so everything was PVE.

If I had to suggest a Diablo game for someone who's never played it before, 2 would definitely be my recommendation.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

QuarkJets posted:

The game was so easy on normal difficulty that it really wasn't P2W at all. It was only P2W if you wanted to be some sort of elite Inferno running top tier player (for neckbeard reasons). Inferno was so loving hard at release that the only people who could beat Inferno Diablo were luck-based gimmick builds and people who found glitches, like the Wizard God Mode exploit or the glitch that allowed Barbarians to regain 8% of their health with every hit. But Blizzard did a pretty good job of slowly balancing the game into something playable, and from what I hear they even made the game pretty fun in the months leading up to the expansion. I've heard great things about the patch that rebalanced legendaries, making them actually pretty useful and fun and not completely useless

High end items were all poo poo because they rolled almost all their stats randomly and legendaries were such a joke that nobody dared use them. If you wanted to have good items you really had to search the AH and have a huge amount of gold or $$ to afford getting into the higher/highest tier stuff. Patches did a great job at balancing it out, but I disagree that Blizzard did a good job in slowly balancing it. It should've been balanced, or had way less fuckery for item stats/attributes, from the start and Blizzard should drat well know better.

E: So as not to derail the thread, I'll stop posting about D3 and my gripes with it. Loving this LP and keep up the good work queserasera!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 7, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

It's weird - I seem to have had the exact opposite experience as everyone else with D3. I played it at launch and had a mindless blast with it, ignoring the auction house and just fighting through the campaign and everything seemed pretty well-balanced. I just recently tried starting over with my brother and we got halfway through act 3 without ever once being mildly threatened.

On normal? Diablo is easy peasy and the real gripes against it are at the end-game portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

It wasn't exactly a difficult game, no, but when I was fighting, say, the Act 2 endboss, there were definitely attacks I needed to make some effort to avoid or take pretty serious damage. I fought him this time and neither of us dropped below like 70% health despite making no effort to dodge anything.

Again, what difficulty? Once you get to the higher difficulties, you really have to be geared or else you either die or he hits his rage timer... and then you die.

• Locked thread