Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Could you guys elaborate on Hellfire for those of us who never played it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Butcher is Proto-Duriel, basically: a boss who does nothing but run up to you and hit you hard, and who's fast enough that you absolutely cannot avoid taking at least a few hits. This completely wrecks any build that is predicated on not getting hit. The strategy especially for melee classes boils down to "have enough healing potions", which isn't exactly all that interesting.

It's a dumb design and Duriel makes it even worse with his loving frost aura, but that's D2, not D1.

No, the worst part about Duriel is that by the time you loaded into his room, you were already dead.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I had no idea Black Deaths permanently reduced HP. How the gently caress was that supposed to be apparent.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

As someone who's heavily played the entire series, and didn't enjoy D3 on release, the D3 of today is an incredibly different beast than it was on release. There's no PVP still, but the PVE game is rock solid.

No more auction house, characters are not made of paper and no longer collapse at the first sign of enemies, there's a new "adventure mode" wherein you go to places in the world and kill unique bosses for bounties, which give you portal stones you can use to create randomly generated worlds from anywhere in the game, with mixed up enemies, tons of unique and super unique bosses, and once you kill a certain volume of enemies inside the new instance, you have a rift guardian to kill, with an increased chance to drop legendaries.

There's also greater portals (not max level yet, so don't know how to open them) where the portals dont drop any loot unless you kill the boss, but if you do, there's guaranteed legendaries / sets, and if you kill the volume & boss within a certain time limit (variable dependant on difficulty) another - more difficult - portal opens and you keep going and going, with ever increasing chances of drops.

I'm also told that the PS3 version portal stones has a chance to take you to a world from the last of us, not sure if that's true or not though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Aces High posted:

I don't remember D3 being super hard on release, I played it about 1 week after release and beat it within 2 days (after work hours) but that could be because I made a Monk and specced him for dodge and evade, doing so meant I beat Diablo in like 3 minutes :geno:. D3 was the fastest Diablo game for me and well that's just kinda lame when it's your first playthrough

It wasn't super hard until you moved off normal and onto nightmare.

I stopped halfway through act 1 nightmare because I got sick of dealing with groups with prefixes the likes of molten chains, invulnerable minions and walling.

Got real old.

edit: whoops, phone postin'

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 7, 2014

• Locked thread