Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
MLB
Problem:Umpires
Fix:Robot umpires.

It's a sarcastic way to put it, but it would be easy to set up a system where the four umps were on the field to call plays that they are suited for: out/safe. Um..yeah, that's it.

Use pitch f/x in order to get a consistent strike zone. This benefits everyone and evens the playing field. Have a buzzer in the umps ear that dings for strikes. He raises his hand if it goes off. Not hard.

Fair foul would be extremely easy with the same tech that tennis uses. You put a 5th ump in a booth to review every play and immediately call down for reversals.

The umps would be appeased by having 15 extra jobs open up. The stupid "human element" is removed from the game. What is the human element anyway other than a way to allow human non-players to effect the game. It's stupid and antiquated and needs to be resolved tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
NFL:
Problem:
Refs
Fix:Hire refs full time. Have the refs actually enforce the rules. Put a ref in the replay booth to review every play and penalty. Get the right result every time. Everyone would be happier about this and teams would no longer get hosed over by bad calls.

Note: I'm a bitter 49ers fan at this time because they have been hosed over three years in a row by bad ref calls or non calls.

2012 NFCCG. Giants fumble overturned by bad refs calls.
2013 Super Bowl. The entire game pretty much. And the non calls of penalties on the last goal line stand on the final three plays.
2013 @NO where Brooks was penalized for a clean hit on Brees which handed the game to NO and then the 49ers lost home field advantage and had to go to SEA for the NFCCG. Had the refs got that call right, which replay showed was clean, the season ends differently.

Yeah, go ahead and post the crying emote. :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Water Polo
Problem:
No one gives a poo poo.
Fix:Teach horses to swim.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Golf
Problem:
It's slow and/or boring
Fix:Limit golfers to 120 minutes to finish a round. Also, no caddies or golf carts or golf bags.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Consistency in officiating is much more important than accuracy anyways, which is why I sometimes think the mission to get every single call right is a bit misplaced sometimes.

MLB strike zones aren't consistent at all. The same ump will often have a different zone for different pitchers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zogo posted:

I'd actually be interested to see what the MLB would look like if pitchers had to throw tennis balls and just how far those balls would go.

Not as far as baseballs. They are lighter/have less mass and more surface area. So they create more friction in the air. Can't be thrown as fast, are harder to control and won't go as far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Soccer/Football
Problem:
Low scoring/flopping/extra time
Solutions: This is a serious post so here are some serious answers:

There is no reason to have a continually moving clock. If the ball goes out, stop the clock. If play stops due to a guy falling, stop the clock. Goal? Stop the clock. It's just silly to let it run and leads to flopping. This will remove extra time from the game.

Another problem is limited substitutions. This also leads to flopping and pointless stoppages. Just let the coaches sub players in as needed. You will have fresher players and better play as a result.

This also opens up this rule change: if you flop over for whatever reason and pretend or are really hurt, you have to leave the field. You can come back, of course, but not till the next substitution stoppage.

I think these changes would make for a better game. I'd be curious to hear how I am an idiot, though, because I am fairly new to the sport and am looking with US sports biased eyes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Problem:

Sash! posted:

Problem: Baseball has too many baseball games and too many of them are on when people are at work.
Solution: It's not 1883 and you have to make the train trip worth it so you stick around for five days. Cut the schedule down to a third of what it is now. Also, don't play at 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. That one would just be a no brainer really. Maybe even adopt some sort of Monday/Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday schedule were you play on three of those four! This would also work for hockey.

Solution:Dont' let Sash! make decisions for MLB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sash! posted:

So to be profitable, baseball has to have ten times the games as the most popular sport in the country? Maybe baseball has more serious problems than I thought.

Baseball is supposed to be played during the day. It's the summer game. There is more money if they play night games, but it still has some roots in its origins. The season was 154 for many years until they expanded it. It comes with the Spring and leaves us in the Fall. Baseball is life.

• Locked thread