Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Congratulations! Due to a series of unexplained deaths and a clerical error in the order of succession, you have been named Emperor-King of your favorite sport. This also means you now outrank the sport's commissioner and ownership committee and can institute sweeping changes of any type you'd like.

Please include the following in your Papal Bulls:

Your Sport.
What the problem is.
How you intend to fix it.

This way other Emperor-Kings who may not be familiar with your particular sport can understand your fix.

My fix:

Basketball
Problem: The last four minutes of the game taking 35 minutes to play
Fix: When the team that is ahead is fouled, instead of taking their free-throws, they can elect to roll 10 seconds off the game clock. This will prevent Hack-a-Shaq style play of fouling players with poor free-throw skills just to get the ball back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zogo posted:

MLB
Problem: Bats break too much and cause danger.
Fix: Introduce a one-size-fits-all metal bat.
I'm curious why you think the occasional bits of splinter or an errant bat going into the stands would be less dangerous that 150mph+ comebackers that would surely decapitate at least 1 pitcher.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Problem: Soccer games end 0-0 way too much not because of good defense but because of the offside trap. Imagine offsides in a game like Basketball "oh no the team was too lazy to defend therefore that sick nasty slam dunk doesn't count"
Solution: get rid of offsides
I've heard this idea floated before, but the general response is "then Team A will just camp a guy next to Team B's net and just lauch bombs to him all day for him to try and tip in."

How does eliminating offsides prevent this 'best strategy' from destroying soccer?

Also I'm now sorry I tried to be funny in the OP. I seriously want to know what people think are the real problems in their sport that are just intractably unsolvable for whatever reason, rather than joke response.

Also basketball power plays sound awesome.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Harlock posted:

NFL
Problem: Concussions

Solution: An 18 game schedule

I would actually be OK with an 18 game schedule if it also meant only two weeks of Preseason. Having to buy 10 home game tickets, when two of them are completely meaningless in August, is ridiculous. Even the players and coaches know four games is too long for a preseason. Make 18 game seasons but don't screw season ticket holders. More games that 'count' are fine by me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone's been reading this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjmm2mSROk

• Locked thread