Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

counterfeitsaint posted:

What happened with the ARG? Was there actually not a statue and instead the puzzle thing?

Unrelated: God I wish that 35,000 posts somewhere else was enough, so SU didn't have to hijack this thread too. Guess not.

Dude, there were literally zero posts in this thread for the entirety of April, May, and June. Talking about how another cartoon compares to GF is far from a highjacking, and in any case it's the best this thread is going to get once the Cipher hunt ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Let the thread die, imo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just unbookmark the thread then. I want to see what happens after the scavenger hunt is solved.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

WarpedNaba posted:

Do you mean the first episode or the pilot?

I haven't actually seen the pilot, if that's the one where the gems all have radically different designs, I've only seen stills and tiny clips of it.

I'm talking about the Cookie Cat episode.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

counterfeitsaint posted:

What happened with the ARG? Was there actually not a statue and instead the puzzle thing?

The jigsaw puzzle contained another clue, and people people are, I believe, currently bashing their collective heads against the final clue. Also nerds managed to derive the clue without finishing the jigsaw puzzle, so Alex Hirsch promised to release the pilot episode if they put the whole thing together.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

The jigsaw puzzle contained another clue, and people people are, I believe, currently bashing their collective heads against the final clue. Also nerds managed to derive the clue without finishing the jigsaw puzzle, so Alex Hirsch promised to release the pilot episode if they put the whole thing together.

Wait, pilot episode? I thought this was just a silly game, what's the endgame here? Just the pilot episode to whatever Hirsch is working on now or is it something GF related?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mystery is its own reward

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Wait, pilot episode? I thought this was just a silly game, what's the endgame here? Just the pilot episode to whatever Hirsch is working on now or is it something GF related?

Gravity Falls had an old pilot episode which was animated in Flash. Alex Hirsch said it was really embarrassing and he'd rather not release it. Shaming Alex seems to be the big prize at stake. I am happy with the reward system.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

TwoPair posted:

He means the Gravity Falls pilot that Hirsch has claimed is embarrassing and awful.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

TwoPair posted:

We're pretty sure the 'actual' endgame is the statue of Bill, the pilot is just the original Gravity Falls pilot. Here's the whole mess as it currently stands: Cipherhunt!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
wrong thread sorry

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1KxUl2Pxo

Maybe it's better this mystery remains unsolved.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I must see his shame!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/shadow_wolfwind oh, ok.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
last thing he tweeted before this was six years ago complaining about his cat peeing on his costumes lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OdJrbAVzOYJX

They found Bill, but this time on video

Lots of jewels and coins there!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so where was it

also steven universe is good, nobody cares if you watched one episode in the middle of the run and didn't think the themes you totally misunderstood anyway make sense

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Escobarbarian posted:

so where was it

Reedsport, Oregon

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Reedsport, Oregon

Wow, seriously? Can't believe it took that long then. I would've figured more... ahem... eccentric fans would've swept the entire Pacific northwest with a fine-toothed comb right after the series finale before doing a whole ARG.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hells yeah, my Journal 3 (that's actually a birthday present for my housemate) was dispatched today. I'm gonna try my best to read it carefully before wrapping it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:rip:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Did the hat fall off?

Also, are they moving it? I feel that it would be cooler to just leave it there and freak some campers out at some point in the future.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

TwoPair posted:

Wow, seriously? Can't believe it took that long then. I would've figured more... ahem... eccentric fans would've swept the entire Pacific northwest with a fine-toothed comb right after the series finale before doing a whole ARG.

I'm pretty sure Hirsch's greatest fear was that people would actually just wander out into the woods and hurt themselves looking for it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pyroi posted:

Did the hat fall off?

Also, are they moving it? I feel that it would be cooler to just leave it there and freak some campers out at some point in the future.

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/760891508924952576

some dude on reddit posted:

https://twitter.com/Tsunami_Holmes was periscoping her visit today, but had to stop because there were guys there and they already had the statue all strapped up. I couldn't make out what the men were saying, but she said something about the police.

See you next summer

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 3, 2016

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Wow, that was all very... underwhelming, thanks to the TurboNerds that figured out everything in just a couple of days.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

To be fair, with the exception of the final clue (it too like 5 days before Alex gave them a hunt to solve it, because no one could figure it out) none of the hints were hard to figure out. The puzzle took a bit longer than expected. But how long did you expect it to go on for, because there's no way it would've taken like. months. Thousands (millions?) of fans working together to solve and find the clues, even including Jason Ritter and Alex's sister is gonna result in the hunt going fairly quick

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/760689120758857729

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

People usually try to avoid getting red eyes from the flash, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vampire children effect was deliberate in this one case.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Update: Bill has been arrested

https://twitter.com/Tsunami_Holmes/status/760911773411139584

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bill also makes a guest appearance in the webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-6-103-to-6-104-war-of-the-teacups/

You should read this, by the way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-6-103-to-6-104-war-of-the-teacups/

Not every pyramid eye thing is a reference to Bill Cipher. Bill Cipher is a reference to a pyramid eye thing that goes back way, way earlier. If a pyramid eye being wears a top hat and behaves like a manic trickster spirit, then you have a case for it being a Gravity Falls reference.

(Sorry, one of my pet peeves is when people say A is a reference to B, when A and B are actually both references to C.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 7, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Say Nothing posted:

Read what? I guess I can't be sure because I can't make any sense of what is going on, but best I can tell there aren't any words.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Did you know the American dollar contains a secret hidden reference to Bill Cipher??? Look closely at the back

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Read what? I guess I can't be sure because I can't make any sense of what is going on, but best I can tell there aren't any words.

Read the whole thing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's a good comic, yes, but basically a huge battle broke out. That's all that's going on in that page.

So back to the Cypher Hunt. Wasn't there are a thumbdrive found at the statue? Did anyone ever put the contents of that online?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

IUG posted:

It's a good comic, yes, but basically a huge battle broke out. That's all that's going on in that page.

So back to the Cypher Hunt. Wasn't there are a thumbdrive found at the statue? Did anyone ever put the contents of that online?

http://i-should-be-in-neverland.tumblr.com/post/148393084534

"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day..."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Cypher Hunt was kind of a crap shoot wasn't it? What with clues being placed in spaces that hadn't agreed and then it turning out even Bill was on land he shouldn't be on. Kind of odd for Alex/Disney, unless the latter wasn't involved, which is the impression I get, in which case it was still drat impressive.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

PriorMarcus posted:

The Cypher Hunt was kind of a crap shoot wasn't it? What with clues being placed in spaces that hadn't agreed and then it turning out even Bill was on land he shouldn't be on. Kind of odd for Alex/Disney, unless the latter wasn't involved, which is the impression I get, in which case it was still drat impressive.

I have the feeling Disney had nothing to do with this. And maybe Alex thought it would take people a real long time to figure out the clues but its the internet, it's full of people with way too much time on their hands.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alex did it all himself, Disney had nothing to do with it. There were a few things that could've been done better on his part, although the final spot of the Bill statue ended up being messier than he planned. He did get permission to put Bill there but other issues cropped up unexpetedly. However there were things like, the Waddles poster ended up getting super damaged by the rain, the puzzle ended up being a bit more complicated than he thought, the final clue took like a week to solve and no one could figure it out until Alex basically gave them the answer, and Alex not telling anyone at that one place that there was a clue behind the Nun picture ended up causing issues that could've been avoided.

Even still though for the most part it went pretty smoothly and it felt like most fans got a big kick out of it. It forced a ton of people to work together to solve it. Although there were a few times where some people actually argued over who got to keep what and it was like eugh stop

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Also, the pilot is up and yeah it's pretty rough as these things usually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Also, the pilot is up and yeah it's pretty rough as these things usually are.

Definitely, but it's also interesting to see what was there from the start and what got changed before the actual first episode.

• Locked thread