Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only thing I like better is Dipper and Mabel's designs. They look more like their age, and less round and small. Other than that yeah, I probably wouldn't have watched the show if it looked like that. The animation, especially in the opening credits, is what hooked me from the start. It's so goddamn smooth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having seen the pilot now that actually wasn't as bad as I'd expected, in fact I kind of like a lot of the earlier designs (except for Stan who looks really weird). It's also kind of odd that Dipper just kind of has the Journal rather than being shown finding it like in the actual premiere (I guess the idea for Ford hadn't been thought up just yet, in fact the whole thing seems like the show originally had a slightly different premise, not to mention the fact that having something called the Book of the Damned obviously wouldn't fly on a Disney show).

But yeah, not bad overall but it would probably have been a very different show if they kept it like that (and possibly a lot less succesful).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 15, 2016

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokemon-movie-writers-guardians-of-the-galaxy-gravity-falls-1201831694/

Alex and Nicole Perlman from Guardians of the Galaxy is negotiating to write the live action Pokemon movie about a Pikachu detective.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wellp. The only news that would be better than that would be the Clone High dudes writing it. Totally down for that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I hope there will be some patronizing puns, perhaps about pikaing a bad day to stop eating rare candy, or about biting more than they can chu.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mokinokaro posted:

Also, the pilot is up and yeah it's pretty rough as these things usually are.
That's way, way higher in quality than any other pre-series cartoon pilot I've ever seen. Visually and sonically

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Electric Phantasm posted:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/pokemon-movie-writers-guardians-of-the-galaxy-gravity-falls-1201831694/

Alex and Nicole Perlman from Guardians of the Galaxy is negotiating to write the live action Pokemon movie about a Pikachu detective.

Should be excited, but I could absolutely not give a poo poo about this until they hire Danny Devito to star as Pikachu.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm excited for feature-length Ducktective with a gravelly-voiced Pikachu playing the duck.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

I'm excited for feature-length Ducktective with a gravelly-voiced Pikachu playing the duck.

ASH: Wow, Detective Pikachu, you caught the criminal so fast it was shocking!

PIKACHU: Pika. [subtitle: Don't patronize me.]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/790762437666414594

Gravity falls limited edition journal 3 special edition.

"Each has new invisible ink messages, leathery cover, monocle, removable photos & my signature! Only 1,000 made"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
$150.

I love this show to death, but no.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I did it. I love the journal as is, but this would tip over into perfect for me. Plus I've got till February for the £ to get better.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, here's something fun and cool! Apparently Bill was going to open Weirdmaggedon with a full-blown musical number, but the song was cut for time and replaced with the opening we got instead. Fortunately for all of us, the song's writer decided to release it anyway and some nice youtuber did a little animatic of what it might have looked like! BEHOLD: It's Gonna Get Weird!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The_Doctor posted:

Plus I've got till February for the £ to get better.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spergatory posted:

So, here's something fun and cool! Apparently Bill was going to open Weirdmaggedon with a full-blown musical number, but the song was cut for time and replaced with the opening we got instead. Fortunately for all of us, the song's writer decided to release it anyway and some nice youtuber did a little animatic of what it might have looked like! BEHOLD: It's Gonna Get Weird!

At least the replacement opening was still really good. And we got "How about I shuffle the functions of every hole in your face" out of it too.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,this is a newcomer here. I just started watching the show (finished the first couple of episodes, and I like it so far),but this one rather obnoxious determined friend of mine keeps telling me that this show is just another dime-a-dozen cartoon,that jumps the shark halfway through the first season (apparently)and has a really lovely finale (also apparently). He capped this all off by saying I'm better off watching MLP. Which kinda makes all of his other points suspect. Am I smart for ignoring him,or was he actually right all along?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ignore him, he's an idiot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Smart for ignoring him.
It actually gets a lot better in the second season and the finale was loved by everyone, and it's the one cartoon I've watched that I've seen the most unexpected references to by other adults. I didn't like everything it did but it had a unique sense of humor that I miss and a good ongoing plot as well. I wholeheartedly recommend watching it. Track the online shorts down, top.
I have no idea how someone could say the shark was jumped in season two.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Smart for ignoring him.
It actually gets a lot better in the second season and the finale was loved by everyone, and it's the one cartoon I've watched that I've seen the most unexpected references to by other adults. I didn't like everything it did but it had a unique sense of humor that I miss and a good ongoing plot as well. I wholeheartedly recommend watching it. Track the online shorts down, top.
I have no idea how someone could say the shark was jumped in season two.

Alright. Also,he said that it was first jumped in season one,apparently. Also,that there are several plot points pulled outta the writers' asses. (As opposed to MLP. :rolleyes:) And the finale's apparently resolved by a Deus ex Machina. (*cough*MLP*cough*)

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 2, 2016

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first episode of Season two is honestly one of my favorite episodes of anything.

VolticSurge posted:

Alright. Also,my friend said that it was first jumped in season one,apparently. Also,that there are several plot points pulled outta the writers' asses. (As opposed to MLP. :rolleyes:) And the finale's apparently resolved by a Deus ex Machina.

Okay your friend is an idiot, if he thinks anything was an asspull or a Deus Ex Machina he has managed to ignore every single piece of foreshadowing and also has a misunderstanding of basic character and narrative themes.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 2, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why didn't you dump their gimp rear end the second they started making MLP comparisons

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
:sever:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Okay your friend is an idiot, if he thinks anything was an asspull or a Deus Ex Machina he has managed to ignore every single piece of foreshadowing and also has a misunderstanding of basic character and narrative themes.

Well,he likes MLP,so it comes with the territory. According to all of my other friends, MLP is pretty much full of asspulls and Deus ex Machinas, so the idiot's kind of a hypocrite.

Escobarbarian posted:

Why didn't you dump their gimp rear end the second they started making MLP comparisons

He's one of my co-workers,unfortunately.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 2, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I would argue that the Finale is super great and perfectly caps off the series as a whole.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's one (1) plot point in the finale that I thought was a bit of a cop-out but everything else was so awesome it doesn't change my opinion that the finale was great.

For those who've seen it: it was Stan getting his memory back so easily.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Pakled posted:

There's one (1) plot point in the finale that I thought was a bit of a cop-out but everything else was so awesome it doesn't change my opinion that the finale was great.

For those who've seen it: it was Stan getting his memory back so easily.

Sounds like a Disney mandate,maybe? They're known for those kinda cop-out happy endings.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Aside from perhaps feeling a tad rushed in season 2, it's pretty drat hard to claim this show wasn't a masterpiece of the genre.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For sure. I also feel like the criticisms in the last few posts go together - it's been mentioned before, but a longer version of this show would likely have had the climactic battle be in the penultimate episode and end with the memory loss, which when would have had a bigger focus in the finale and have felt more earned when he regained em.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Someone who think highly of MLP really shouldn't talk about Deus Ex Machinas and rear end pulls. I could buy that they don't bother him in a cartoon aimed at young children, but you can't look at GF and think that's beyond the pale if you're used to that.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

So,I've gotten up to the halfway point of the first season,really digging the show so far. My "friend" has gotten more...aggressive in his attempts to "enlighten" me. Even going as far as making me watch this on our lunch break. I am a bit torn now,honestly-apparently Mabel gets no development,Wendy gets ignored by the writers,and the show is overrated...apparently.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 19, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Stop hanging out with your friend or hang out but put a conversation veto against cartoons

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Stop hanging out with your friend or hang out but put a conversation veto against cartoons

Thing is,he's my co-worker at my dad's business. So not hanging out isn't an option. The latter might work,though it would be difficult-he seemingly belabors that MLP supposedly is a better show,mockingly comparing Gravity Falls and Steven Universe (my two favorite cartoons right now) with cheap-rear end beef you find at the local Co-Op while MLP is like a fine filet mignon. That's usually when I tell him to shut the gently caress up.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Take him out back and beat him with a trashcan lid

That's all a man with such bad opinions about cartoons deserves

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

Take him out back and beat him with a trashcan lid

That's all a man with such bad opinions about cartoons deserves

I'm halfway convinced he's secretly a colony of Gnomes. That would explain why he's so out of touch with the rest of the world. Now where did I put my leaf blower?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
All that matters is that you enjoy it and it sounds like you do. Who's your favorite character and why is it Grunkle Stan?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Tell this man that his weird obsession to what TV shows other people watch is off-putting, ridiculous, and probably reduces workplace synergy. Either that or every time he brings up MLP, share an interesting fact about birds. Either he doesn't like birds and will back off, or he'll realize that birds are great and share bird facts of his own. It's win-win.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Imagine being so deeply insecure that you literally cannot handle someone liking something different from you. Imagine NEEDING everyone to like and dislike exactly the same things you do for exactly the same reasons. Imagine needing it so much that you devote every interaction with another human being to the express purpose of changing their opinions to be more like yours. Just... imagine.

It boggles the mind.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

VolticSurge posted:

So,I've gotten up to the halfway point of the first season,really digging the show so far. My "friend" has gotten more...aggressive in his attempts to "enlighten" me. Even going as far as making me watch this on our lunch break. I am a bit torn now,honestly-apparently Mabel gets no development,Wendy gets ignored by the writers,and the show is overrated...apparently.

He made you watch something that is clearly made by someone who loves the show despite the nitpicking?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Spergatory posted:

Imagine being so deeply insecure that you literally cannot handle someone liking something different from you. Imagine NEEDING everyone to like and dislike exactly the same things you do for exactly the same reasons. Imagine needing it so much that you devote every interaction with another human being to the express purpose of changing their opinions to be more like yours. Just... imagine.

It boggles the mind.

I agree that it's terrible and bad, but we probably should be careful throwing stones, that describes at least half the posters on SA.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Spergatory posted:

It boggles the mind.

No it doesn't, that's more or less the entirety of D&D.

That and lovely music.

• Locked thread