Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SedanChair posted:

If eight year olds could destroy America's workforce.

But enough about financiers! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zachack posted:

I'd like a citation for that ranking process and as for the Patent Exam:

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/exam/OED_GRB.pdf

The FE counts as a alternative to having the degree. I guess if the PTO is trying to get students prior to graduation that could be useful but it looks like the test is given pretty frequently so it's not like they can't do like everyone else and hire grads into sub positions until they pass the test.

This has not been my experience at either side of the table and since the FE basically passes on a C- grade (roughly 70% although I think it shifts) it's not like it means much besides "this person is not a retard", and that should be covered by transcripts/GPA/school accreditation.

FE % used to be really weird. Like, I just put "C" down the entire dynamics and statics sections excepting one or two trivial problems because as an EE I didn't even know what the symbols meant. Other engineering disciplines would have their equivalents. They've changed the exam around a bit now though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

FE % used to be really weird. Like, I just put "C" down the entire dynamics and statics sections excepting one or two trivial problems because as an EE I didn't even know what the symbols meant. Other engineering disciplines would have their equivalents. They've changed the exam around a bit now though.

Yeah, the Elec./Comp. Engineering FE doesn't have dynamics or statics anymore: http://cdn3.ncees.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FE-Ele-CBT-specs_with-ranges.pdf

These are pass rates not score % but you can see the differences.

quote:

First-time takers (%)
Chemical 82
Civil 74
Electrical and Computer 82
Environmental 79
Industrial 70
Mechanical 84
Other Disciplines 86

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I don't remember the EE section having any material beyond what a sophomore would know, and that disappointed me.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, the Elec./Comp. Engineering FE doesn't have dynamics or statics anymore: http://cdn3.ncees.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FE-Ele-CBT-specs_with-ranges.pdf

These are pass rates not score % but you can see the differences.

I kinda wish that version of the test existed when I took it years ago, because it looks hella more interesting and challenging.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

I don't remember the EE section having any material beyond what a sophomore would know, and that disappointed me.

I kinda wish that version of the test existed when I took it years ago, because it looks hella more interesting and challenging.

The old FE's morning session was all stuff you'd get in sophomore level classes, I doubt you actually covered everything in the afternoon sessions before the end of your junior year (and remember - you can take it your senior year so that's how it's supposed to work).

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
wow, almost everyone who posted in here that claimed to be a software developer is kind of a smug twat huh? weird

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Just so you know "20 years of VMWare experience" is literally impossible. The company didn't exist 20 years ago.

Which is why I assumed that example was histrionic hyperbole and didn't take it literally. Longer than the tech existed postings tend to be 5 years experience for a 3-4 year old language.

The desired applicant will be an early adopter and have something they've agreed to treat as equivalent for the additional years. Or possibly literally be someone who helped invent the language/toolset in some (possibly very minor) way and as such can claim a head start on everyone else.

computer parts posted:

There is also a long standing and well noted phenomenon of HR people wanting a lot of conditions in an applicant that don't actually come into consideration in an interview for the position.

And those conditions won't be technical because HR goons don't know what any of the tech stuff being asked for means so the just copy that stuff boilerplate and play word-match with resumes.

They do know, however, what a college is and may insist on various levels of education or certification that may not be needed.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Prospective employers will look at you askance if you haven't passed or even attempted the FE exactly because it's just an overall final exam for the hodgepodge of things you were supposed to learn in your engineering academic career.

Not in the vast majority of cases for Electrical Engineers, and from what I hear, they don't really care for Chemical Engineers either.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Student workers != Interns; most jurisdictions don't count student experience as valid toward licensure reqs.

And almost all (reputable) engineering programs require their students to pass the FE their senior year as contingent to graduation, regardless of field. It's a major part of how these programs are ranked, particularly since the NCEES decided long ago that ranking students by FE and PE passing grades (like med school does for board exams) was detrimental to the profession. Even people like EE grads not going into power generation, who wouldn't normally need even an EIT to practice, are almost always required to pass the FE anyway. But those are somewhat edge cases anyway; the vast majority of graduating engineers are civil and mechanical, and they absolutely need all of that stuff to practice.
I don't know of any program that requires people to pass the FE. It sounds like you're a Civil, so your experience is not the norm for the rest of the engineering world. Every EE I know who has their PE license did it because the company paid for it, so they had nothing to lose.

Civil and Mechanical only represent a tad under 40% of engineering degrees awarded each year. And MechEs don't really need it most of the time, since they usually work in industry. They don't give a poo poo if you're a PE if you design car axles or work in industrial reliability.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flectarn posted:

wow, almost everyone who posted in here that claimed to be a software developer is kind of a smug twat huh? weird

Step 1: go into a thread that insults an entire profession
Step 2: point out that people of that profession who care enough to defend themselves and their peers are "smug twats"
Step 3: win SA ironic post of the year award

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

Step 1: go into a thread that insults an entire profession
Step 2: point out that people of that profession who care enough to defend themselves and their peers are "smug twats"
Step 3: win SA ironic post of the year award

I have to admit, I'm wondering what the ratio of engineers to software people in this thread is.

I went to an engineering college and my husband has his degree in civil engineering so I've never called myself an engineer since I've never passed the EIT which I thought was necessary for the title.

But I had no idea how emotional other engineers get over it.

Let's try some engineering sperg bait.

"I'm working on my patio now so I'm going to head out back and pour some concrete. Bye!"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I'm a solutions architect, I engineer solutions for critical business needs and improve our ROI by embracing dynamic processes

*makes some more pivot tables*

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Did engineers exist before accreditation existed? Was the word "engineer" ever used before the ABET existed?

Going by the title "software engineer" feels a little gross, but at the same time, I fail to see the difference between designing a system to reliably move data around with a high uptime and, say, designing a system that can be placed physically in a bedroom window and cool your room for less than $150.

Being the person who fixes AC units doesn't make you an engineer, and neither does debugging someone's lovely code, but it's not the case that the entirety of your work as a "software engineer" consists of debugging someone's lovely code.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm curious why a bunch of people seem to simultaneously want one of the best-paid professions to unionize and become even more better-paid and better-benefitting (thus separating them further from the rest of the working class) and at the same time are seemingly rooting for this profession to crash and "teach them a lesson" or something.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

EB Nulshit posted:

at the same time, I fail to see the difference between designing a system to reliably move data around with a high uptime and, say, designing a system that can be placed physically in a bedroom window and cool your room

Are marketers "language engineers"?

edit: I mean there seems to be some difference between "engineering" as a physically constructive activity and the act of "thinking through an idea and making it happen".

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 4, 2014

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Software Dev naturally attracts wannabe John Galts because they can be an 'Engineer' and an 'Architect' while putting in less effort than either.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EB Nulshit posted:

Did engineers exist before accreditation existed? Was the word "engineer" ever used before the ABET existed?

You'd have to define accreditation. Engineering societies existed before ABET and they had to be made up of engineers.

Trains existed before ABET as well, so "Yes".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EB Nulshit posted:

Going by the title "software engineer" feels a little gross, but at the same time, I fail to see the difference between designing a system to reliably move data around with a high uptime and, say, designing a system that can be placed physically in a bedroom window and cool your room for less than $150.

Being the person who fixes AC units doesn't make you an engineer, and neither does debugging someone's lovely code, but it's not the case that the entirety of your work as a "software engineer" consists of debugging someone's lovely code.

Here's the wikipedia definition, which includes ABET's definition:

quote:

Engineering (from Latin ingenium, meaning "cleverness" and ingeniare, meaning "to contrive, devise") is the application of scientific, economic, social, and practical knowledge in order to invent, design, build, maintain, and improve structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes. The discipline of engineering is extremely broad, and encompasses a range of more specialized fields of engineering, each with a more specific emphasis on particular areas of applied science, technology and types of application.

The American Engineers' Council for Professional Development (ECPD, the predecessor of ABET)[1] has defined "engineering" as:

quote:

The creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation or safety to life and property.[2][3]

One who practices engineering is called an engineer, and those licensed to do so may have more formal designations such as Professional Engineer, Designated Engineering Representative, Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer, Ingenieur or European Engineer.

By these definitions, people who develop software can definitely be considered engineers.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

There's a difference between someone designing a bridge and someone designing the UX for fart and burp piano.apk, I'll leave it to the reader to figure out what that difference is.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

There's a difference between someone designing a bridge and someone designing the UX for fart and burp piano.apk, I'll leave it to the reader to figure out what that difference is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

uncurable mlady posted:

Well, to be fair there's an entire field devoted to UX and none of them really go by engineer so you're going to have to come up with some better hyperbole

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I didn't realize traditional engineers had such a strong inferiority complex wrt software engineers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

Ah, but you see some people are writing software for life support systems therefore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I didn't realize traditional engineers had such a strong inferiority complex wrt software engineers.

In Texas its a crime to call yourself a software engineer without an engineering license

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

Part of this stems from the fact that there a good portion of the curriculum for actually obtaining a PE license is about how to act ethically, and how to best serve the public.

This includes not lying about your credentials or license, which can in fact be an actual civil or criminal penalty.

It's been somewhat weakened over the years by use of the industrial exemption for titling.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

down with slavery posted:

Well, to be fair there's an entire field devoted to UX and none of them really go by engineer so you're going to have to come up with some better hyperbole

Someone should tell the 18021 job listings on LinkedIn for "User Experience Engineer" that they don't exist. :ohdear:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

down with slavery, aren't you a web dev anyway? Did all the PHP Engineers get phased out in favor of Node Samurai?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

Someone should tell the 18021 job listings on LinkedIn for "User Experience Engineer" that they don't exist. :ohdear:

Surely you mean the same job posted 18021 times.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

User Experience Engineers do exist, but they are different from UX designers in that they actually develop software. In my company the two have very distinct skill sets and responsibilities. I realize of course that this is not an established standard, since UX itself is even newer than software engineering as a field.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The point is that outside of people who are churning out terrifyingly obtuse ADA for DoD missile guidance and/or other similar software packages, the vast majority of "software engineers" don't have to abide by similar licensure because an unhandled exception in your fart app isn't going to loving kill someone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brannock posted:

I'm curious why a bunch of people seem to simultaneously want one of the best-paid professions to unionize and become even more better-paid and better-benefitting (thus separating them further from the rest of the working class) and at the same time are seemingly rooting for this profession to crash and "teach them a lesson" or something.

Alternatively, people are warning that if they don't unionize their future is lower wages and worse conditions.

uncurable mlady posted:

The point is that outside of people who are churning out terrifyingly obtuse ADA for DoD missile guidance and/or other similar software packages, the vast majority of "software engineers" don't have to abide by similar licensure because an unhandled exception in your fart app isn't going to loving kill someone.

Which is why a PE for software engineers makes so much sense and why it is funny to watch other people "in the industry" fight it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Which is why a PE for software engineers makes so much sense and why it is funny to watch other people "in the industry" fight it.

I agree, it's almost as if a lot of software developers are slavish devotees of Ayn Rand. :v:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I'm neither and it really seems to be the other way around. The entire issue is about programmers claiming to be engineers and not vice versa. "That person I'm pretending to be is soooooo jealous of me, it's like, oh my god."

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 4, 2014

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Sooo ... I'm comfortable admitting that the people who made fart.app are software devs.

Do engineers admit that they make whoopee cushions, fabricate sex toys, and make ez bake ovens or do we pretend that these things spring forth fully formed from the head of Zeus?

If so, is it fair to stereotype one of the two fields based on its best work and the other on its most trivial?

Also, Therac 25 happened - for the folks out there who think software is all safe and friendly and harmless.

http://courses.cs.vt.edu/professionalism/Therac_25/Therac_1.html

McAlister fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 4, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There're probably more software developers involved in low level embedded/kernel/realtime programming than there are engineers building bridges anyway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

shrike82 posted:

There're probably more software developers involved in low level embedded/kernel/realtime programming than there are engineers building bridges anyway.

Exactly. Most engineers I know don't even build anything. They are simply consultants.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Therac 25, which (if it isn't already) should be drilled into the skull of every CS freshman is a great example of why we should hold software devs to the same standards we hold engineers.

The Toyota unintended acceleration case is another example of where better software engineering would have helped. I can't say for sure that accreditation and licensure would have made it better, but I also can't say it would have made things worse.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

Therac 25, which (if it isn't already) should be drilled into the skull of every CS freshman is a great example of why we should hold software devs to the same standards we hold engineers.

The Toyota unintended acceleration case is another example of where better software engineering would have helped. I can't say for sure that accreditation and licensure would have made it better, but I also can't say it would have made things worse.

If a carpenter does a shoddy job when building a chair, it can put someone in danger and might even kill them. Shall we hold carpenters to the same standards we hold engineers?

Yep, I am unironically comparing carpenters to software developers. Because hey, apparently they are sooooo similar.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

shrike82 posted:

/Sigh

And if the GOP keeps throttling our infrastructure budgets at all levels of government ...

/Sigh

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

Accreditation and a "PE for software engineers" is not going to result in "better software engineering". My school switched their CS major to software engineering. The result was extra courses on:
- Software specification
- Software design

This comes at the cost of classes on:
- Algorithms
- Computer architecture

And they don't offer a class on the theory of computation, because that's considered too theoretical.

So the graduates from my school will not know what a Turing machine is, they won't know what a regular expression is, they won't know how a computer works, and they won't have any real algorithms knowledge. But they'll know how to write a design document. :toot:

And this is expected to be ABET-accredited. They had a reviewer come out when I was still there, and his feedback was very positive.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

uncurable mlady posted:

I've gotten a lot of informal training on these topics on the job as I've worked in industries where we were working on systems that impact health and safety. So corporate training. Didn't hear about Therac in school and only got ethics type stuff as a byproduct of being in an engineering college as they were required of everyone.

/Shrug

Also, keep in mind, a lot of devs skip the school route entirely so even if there were more classes they would have missed them. So corporate training does have the virtue if catching everyone though there are clearly some interest conflicts there.

• Locked thread