Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Philip Marlowe: A very dry, cynical, and plodding detective, Marlowe avoids giving direct answers whenever he can, preferring smart alec or purposefully meaningless remarks, and truly seems to delight in his job. I'm currently reading The Big Sleep, Chandler's first novel, and find that Marlowe reminds me a lot of the infamous Jimmy McNulty from The Wire, particularly when Marlowe works himself into a position that will turn half of the police officers in the city from friends into enemies in the name of justice/the client/ his own ego/sense of right and wrong.

Marlowe develops quite a bit throughout the books he's featured in. It's been a while since I've read them, but I remember feeling like the biggest difference between Marlowe and the Op was that underneath his cynicism, Marlowe is a basically good person.

I remember enjoying MacDonald's books quite a bit, too, but I don't remember very much about the details.

For fans of the genre, I would definitely recommend James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series starting with The Neon Rain. I haven't kept up with the series lately, because after a while the plots start to seem a bit interchangeable, but Dave is a great character. He's capable of being a violent monster, but he also knows it is a terribly destructive way to live and usually tries not to be. Some pretty awesome fight scenes and a great "stick it to the rich and powerful" attitude. Plus, I think Burke writes some beautiful prose from time to time. They made a movie out of his book In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead a few years ago with Tommy Lee Jones, but it was just okay.

Malaleb fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread