Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pink Robot Army
Jul 4, 2009

Malloreon posted:

Anyone have recommendations for modern hardboiled detective stuff?

You might dig the Spero Lucas Series by George Pelecanos. There's only a couple books out, but they read fast and smart and definitely feel hardboiled without feeling like a pastiche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Robot Army
Jul 4, 2009
Just finished Bankok 8 by John Burdett and it really kind of blew me away. Definitely has a modern hardboiled feel (instead of existential anti-hero, it's got an outsider buddhist), really filled me with that same sense of mystery and dread. Just picked up A Drink Before the War, so hoping for good things from that.

Pink Robot Army
Jul 4, 2009
Has anyone read any of the 87th Precinct books by Ed McBain? I've heard them mentioned a lot of the same circles as the other big hardboiled authors, but there are so many, I've never known which were good and which were duds. Same kind of goes for the Scudder books by Lawrence Block.

Pink Robot Army
Jul 4, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

I like them. They're quick reads and serve as pretty great historical documents. And I think it's a really neat idea that he follows the life of the precinct.

Is it worth starting from the beginning? Or are there any gems in there?

Pink Robot Army
Jul 4, 2009
Been reading a bunch more of Richard Stark's Parker series again and I'm always reminded of just how much I love these. I've read a bunch of Westlake's other stuff, but I was curious: are there any other good Heist/Robber novels/authors out there? I particularly like how quickly the Parker books move, and how workman-like the approach is. I usually just feel like I'm watching a heist planned and then unfold. Anything else that good out there?

• Locked thread