Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

You guys should try reading falling angel. It starts out as a classic detective mystery and gradually gets creepier and crazier from there. Amazing book.

I finally got around to this. It was quite surprising, but I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Really? I liked it, but my main gripe was with how predictable the ending was.

It was mostly content. I hadn't read anything about it other than the brief description provided and the surprise was more for how it spun away from straight up detective story. You do start to see the ending coming, though I was expecting it to slide more into Dain Curse territory though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Finally got around to reading The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain and I thought it was fairly enjoyable, if a bit brief. It was refreshing to read a hard-boiled book from the criminal's point of view. Can't say I liked it more than anything of Chandler's but it was good enough to induce buying the rest of his bibliography. Also the most recent editions of Cain's books have some great noir inspired cover art that looks great on the shelf.

If you want hardboiled from the criminals point of view, you might want to check out Jim Thompson. I've read The Killer Inside Me and Hell of a Woman by him. They're short, sordid and brutal and they definitely hit that sort of hardboiled feel.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

rocket_man38 posted:

Joe Pitt casebooks by Charlie Huston. I am reading the first one and really enjoying it. The premise turned me off at first, but it is well written.

Huston is generally fun. Hard and action packed. The Caught Stealing series is good non-supernatural in a hardboiled but not really detective way.

I just finished Get Carter and it was decent, but felt a little underwhelming.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

rocket_man38 posted:

I can't stop reading Charlie Huston. Im on book 3 of the "Joe Pitt Casebooks" and putting off my backlog of Chandler, Hammet, etc. He is just too fun. I can't believe they didn't make this into a tv series or something? Sad to hear there is only 5 books though.

Caught Stealing from the Henry Thompson stuff has been optioned for a movie, though there's not too much info, so who knows. I'm not sure what they'd do with Pitt.

Huston is just a fun read. They have a real breakneck pace going on.

• Locked thread