Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

1969 baby posted:

I've been rereading John Connolly lately. His stuff is like if the supernatural elements of James Lee Burke were the whole point, or if F. Paul Wilson was poetic. He has all the parts though, ex-cop P.I., alcohol, sociopathic partners, tortured conflicted protagonist.

I love Connolly's books, but they are just unrelentingly bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Any Lawrence Block fans in here? I finished Grifter's Game a while back and holy poo poo what a nihilistic ending.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yeah I follow him on Facebook and have read a bunch of interviews and he seems like a great guy. Then I read the ending to Grifter's Game and the protagonist forces a woman to become a heroin addict and largely confines her to a hotel room so he can make her stay with him and have access to her inheritance (that he killed her husband to get for her). :stare:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've read about a dozen or so books from the HCC line and the best has been The Gutter and the Grave by Ed McBain. What I appreciate most about HCC is that they're reprinting stuff that famous authors, like Block, Westland, and Crichton, wrote under pseudonyms.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Xotl posted:

Wow, that's literally the third lost last novel by Westlake. I know the guy was prolific, but how of these things did he have lying around?

Probably a lot. The folks that make their living writing this kind of fiction do it based more on quantity than quality, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise that Westlake passed with half a dozen or more unpublished novels floating around.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Remulak posted:

And while I can believe that Dick Aleas is indeed a pseudonym, good for him, and I owe the dude a beer.

It's a pseudonym for Charles Ardai, the guy that runs HCC. I believe he has largely abandoned it and just publishes under his own name now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any detective series with supernatural elements ? More Gabriel Knight and less Harry Dresden. Urban Fantasy normally has little mystery and way too much spell battles

You'll be wanting the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kaddish posted:

I like how dark the John Connolly books are but man, I'm just not digging his writing style. He's very guilty of the whole blatant foreshadowing trope of, "...and it was the last time I ever saw him alive." Also, it seemed like the first book especially tread the supernatural line very well in that the elements were there but more in the background. It's clear the books are heading are bit too far into Dresden territory to scratch the straight detective itch.

He gets better about the foreshadowing thing, but it never goes away entirely. The supernatural stuff is present but doesn't get really big until book 12 or so, but even then most of the threats are still plain ol' terrible human beings. Even the blatantly supernatural characters are still susceptible to a bullet.

That said, if you aren't digging it, no reason to keep plugging away.

• Locked thread