Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Just finished The Long Goodbye after reading the previous ones in succession. I haven't read the last couple yet but I have heard it goes downhill from here.

The Marlowe book that spans the longest timeframe -3, 4 months- with the most interwoven threads; the first time Marlowe really "gets the girl" explicitly (though I won't mention which girl it is) and the return of Bernie Ohls. This story really has it all and it's my favorite so far. Like all the best long running detective stories it's not only firmly based in places is set but has a sense of its own history- written 14 years after The Big Sleep, it visits some of the same places with the same characters and reminisces on how they used to be. We see Marlowes sentimental side and it really rings true. It's one of the few times in hard boiled fiction that a man does this much not for a pretty face or a big paycheck but just because a man bought him a gimlet a couple of times.

My favorite so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread