Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Squack McQuack posted:

This is good advice and it seems like I should do this whether I get formal education or not.

Yes. While an education will help you get past the HR filters, what I look for as a manager are things that indicate that the resume I'm looking at is from someone who would program even if they wouldn't get paid for it. Someone who didn't necessarily think that it would be a 'great career' and who enjoys it.

Doing side projects means I pretty much want to talk to that person over someone who just lists projects they had to do as part of their college degree. If over 4 years you can only talk about 3 projects like that, I won't even bother asking them to come in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread