Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

"The place of the permanent armies as we know them will gradually be taken by professional forces of volunteer war-keen soldiers; and from millions we shall revert to hundreds of thousands. But ipso facto this second century will be one of actually Contending States. These armies are not substitutes for war---they are for war, and they want war. Within two generations it will be they whose will prevails over all the comfortables put together. In these wars of theirs for the heritage of the whole world, continents will be staked---India, China, South Africa, Russia, Islam called out, new technics and tactics played and counter-played.... The last race to keep its form, the last living tradition, the last leaders who have both at their back, will pass through and onward, victors."

I'd hate to serious post in GBS, but I'm curious about something, and I'm too dumb for D&D. Is it just me or does Spengler seriously downplay the transformative power of technology? I don't really see how a new warrior aristocracy would even function in a world were war is increasingly mechanized, and the human element is gradually being reduced. Nevermind the fact that he was unable to take into account something like nuclear deterrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

i dont htink you really understand the paragraph youre quoting

I guess I don't :/, It just seems to me that the situation hes describing would ultimately result in nuclear war.

Tautologicus posted:

Um this has already happened

Hes describing the mid 20th century then?

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

hes describing professional, all volunteer armies. all major powers in the world at present are all volunteer. there are only a few countries in europe left with a draft i believe, or none. and the inevitable military worship and benefits for military members thing that happens cause they willingly put their life on the line and all that. it's still happening and is going to continue, until the next major world war if there will be one.

but i think his last sentence is just idealistic and will never happen. and i don't think it was culture clash that caused any of the above to happen, just raw production capacity and industrial efficiency. don't need much culture to field an effective army.

and yea he was partly wrong because nukes but he was right because the threat of military power throughout the 20th century allowed economic warfare and covert operations to make all the gains that the military would have done. and in the rare occurences where it couldn't, the major powers did send their military in to stake their territorial claims etc.

Thank you, also sorry about being a dick to you in previous threads.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

and if you are apologizing because you thought i was an idiot before but you see i actually think things through now, that's cool, but if you feel bad and think i'm still an idiot you don't have to. stick to your guns. don't apologize. (i am dealing with a similar situation in my family life as part of the many troubles and so this is what i am thinking about i guess)

I never thought you were stupid and your obviously more well read than I am. I think I was giving you grief for being one of the people debating nihilist philosophy in a thread about the glory of giving up and drinking beer while wearing sweat pants?

If this were true I'd take even greater pleasure in calling her a racist. Blacks kind of drop the ball in terms of coming up with a slur for white people thats as degrading as niger.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2014

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

That mspaint twitter picture is totally misleading, bitch got a jaw like Baron Ünderbheit.

and politics to match.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Jesus Christ I hate my generation.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

ashgromnies posted:

he has been asking friends for help finding a job in lebanon, maybe just a deep cover troll or he is legit. who loving knows.

did you know weev founded the original SASS? yes, that's right: weev was a goon

God, we can only pray he gets embroiled in the poo poo show in Syria and killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Agag posted:

Man I sure hope so....

Who is weev?

Caro's one man rescue team.

• Locked thread