Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Badcounterpoint posted:

Well you guys convinced me to at least try this game. Any suggestions on how to start? Mechs to work towards?

You can't go too wrong with a Jaegermech, particularly the JM6-S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vorenus posted:

I just want to mention I got all 20 of my challenge kills in an Awesome with an XL engine. Because pubbies are that loving terrible.

Didn't they tweak Awesome structure hitpoints or something?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Feindfeuer posted:

The beta that I played and enjoyed had collision/ramming, no ghost heat and no 3rd person pop-tart cam.
If it would've gotten better since than I'd gladly play it, I'd love it. But for me, the beta was the better game. :colbert:

Poptarts are weapon balancing, not 3pv.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wid posted:

But you're giving them content. The more people play the more robits they can shoot and the people you crushed over and over again will end up buying some overpowered $50 bullshit mech just so they can have an edge.

that is between you and your robot 'god'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oxyclean posted:

A bunch of mechs and few maps were added to the game, plenty of cash-grab early-access bundles, a bunch of retarded overly-complex balancing mechanics to solve problems that simple weapon tweaks may have solved that didn't really end up working anyways. UI 2.0 finally came out and really didn't improve much. Matches got upped to 12v12 which honestly feels worse on every map that isn't Alpine (which is still a poo poo map.) LRMS swinging between "poo poo" and "OP poo poo." several times if memory serves.

This should go in the OP.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. Modules are stupid expensive in both GXP and CBills--which actually just illuminates how dumb PGI are: they even screwed up cash grabs.

When they debuted modules you couldn't directly convert MC to CB, and yet they made these modules more expensive than most Mech chassis. So you either had to grind it up over 30+ matches, or you had to buy a chassis with MC and resell it for CB. Had they just had an alternate MC price for them (or even included the MC-->CB converter from jump) it would have at least been a straightforward impulse transaction. But odds are you had to jump through a lot of hoops for a useful customization.

That most modules are crap doesn't help.

Plus good luck finding your module somewhere in your 20+ mechs.

I've never minded the actual gameplay, even ghost heat and 3pv don't bother me, but hoooooly poo poo that mechlab UI

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Next test is 24 hours long, has the new Mech Factory map and the Unit Creation UI. 21 August, Noon PDT.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 21, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Number19 posted:

I am playing robots now. Come shoot at me if you feel like it.

e: on Public Test

I jumped on to see the new map this morning, just after it went up.

It was a weird cloud cuckoo land of hovering pyramids and incessant rubberbanding.

Map looks nice, though!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Voyager I posted:

Hey Number 19, do you know if your higher ups at least have any inkling of just how desperately we wanted their game to be good?

I am pretty sure they thought #savemwo was a diabolical goonplot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OAquinas posted:

For Jagers I've had some success with 2x Gauss, 2x med lasers, and AMS. 4 tons of ammo for the Gauss is usually sufficient. Largest XL engine you can fit (200?). DHS means you can fire all day. Armor your arms--they blow up,good chance you'll crit your side XL.

A Jaeger DD with twin space shotguns, four MG and double medium lazers is fun if you can stay alive to the end of the map. Bits just fly everywhere, and it's hard to overheat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I remember getting into closed beta and my first map was frozen city. Of course everyone fires up thermal vision, and the original effect was way better than it is now. The blue-red heat map just worked awesome, even if it was generally more useful than any other vision mode in any situation.

I thought it could lead to some neat strategies, because the fire from the dropship would completely camouflage any mechs that were near it. It would have been cool if they added more environmental hazards like that to prevent thermal-vision abuse, and other situations could stall the other non-implemented modes.

Now, the whole vision mode looks like smudged rear end, and environmental fires like that have barely any effect on the vision.

More wasted potential...

I quite like the weird green colour that smoke goes in thermal, makes it less bland. Luckily it's viewed as a bug so should be in for a while.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Webdo, robutt Jeremiah

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Feindfeuer posted:

At the beginning I thought/hoped that was what they were planning with the 4 mechs you pre-selected with the old UI. You select 4 mechs and than choose the fitting one for the map... but that was probably too good of an idea to make it into MW:O.

They have a proposed design for this where pubbies have to fit all 12 mechs into a weight limit while a Bonus CB counter counts down and it's going to be a glorious loving trainwreck where everyone picks assault while shouting in all caps.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WebDO posted:

This period of time would be ideal to invest in learning War Thunder, a legit good game. And goons are always playing that, essentially 24/7.

you are posting these with a bot, go on admit it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drewjitsu posted:

What's going on that warrants 24hrs of down time? That's crazy.

Shifting data centres to a cheaper one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Execu-speak posted:

Holy poo poo the degree to which this interface is worse in every way than the old one is just mind blowing. Its made so much worse by the fact that they repeatedly pushed back work on other things for UI 2.0 and this abortion is what it ended up being.

Niko advises that being able to filter the engine list for engines you've bought (instead of scanning the dozens of identical items for the '1') is too hard to do until they've finished CW.

The non-interactive smurfy view is almost adequate as a stopgap, but with UI 2 the fun minigame of mech-tweaking is an ugly slog.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kazvall posted:

Schrodinger's cock is violently raping me, possibly.

THIS IS SHRODONGERS COCK ACTUAL

RESPOND

OVER

OVER

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kavros posted:

Whenever I try to convince someone to come back and robot a bit with me, the absolute first thing I do is warn them about the UI. I tell them it is kind of like an anthropological experiment. If you remember the old UI, and you come in and start trying to deal with the new UI, you become inordinately fascinated with really trying to figure out how the new UI came to be. Why it would be designed like it is. Why.

Adages about learning what happens in sausage factories don't really cut it. It's more like getting used to a sausage factory as-is and then ... learning that Sausage 2.0 is just filling the sausages with duck poop, or something. Why would you spend all this time and effort to convert the old sausage process to a new duck poop sausage injection system? Why did you invest all the time and effort into it in the first place. More importantly how could you look at the end product and still release it with the (most likely hopefully) full knowledge that it was a worse system?

truth

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fil5000 posted:

It's got the basics right, but it's a bit of a mess, difficult to navigate and, when it comes down to it, not really worth the effort.

:v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vorenus posted:

I can't be arsed to browse UI2.0 to look, so can someone tell me if it's possible to recreate the MW4 Daishi with 3 LBX-20s and 4 Medium lasers? I want to know because it was the best thing in MW4 for making things insta-melt and I'm certain it would be completely lovely in MWO.

LBX's are actually decent if you can survive to the end of the match when everyone's armour is chewed up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

can i get an invite too as well

same name as here

e:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fat Samurai posted:

Is the Zombie CN9-A still a thing?

I think it's back to being okay after a long time in the wilderness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

axelsoar posted:

They added it for all mechs, prepare to leg yourself in a light mech without jumpjets.

it's been toned down a bit, but yeah you need to be careful. There's a fall damage reducing module if you can bear their hideous module interface (and have 6 mill cbills or w/e to spare).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fil5000 posted:

Ahahaha, the cUAC-5 gets a heat penalty if you fire more than three, so you will probably explode if you double tap that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmzlJasuxvI

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hoboskins posted:

the Stormcrow C variant has a ballistic slot SCR-C I made this in a couple of minutes, I guess I could trade a heatsink for ammo?

A friend made one of these but with an LBX... 20? 15? It is the terminator at the end of a match, i saw him get like four kills in a single minute.

e: i think he might have had some armour though? not sure

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 3, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok, you jerks did it. You got me to reinstall this terrible game.

Holy hell is the new mechlab atrocious. Just give us a readout that shows us everything our `Mech has, another readout that shows us our upgrades and poo poo, another page that gives us a summary of our machine's performance and lets us set our weapon groups, and then a final screen where we can play with the 3D model and maybe trigger it to shoot its weapons or something.

I am comparing The Old Republic's Starfighter PVP mode UI favorably to this. That isn't a thing that should happen. :psyduck:

Edit: Why do the UI elements block my ability to spin the 3D model around? I can seriously spin it farther if I pick a spot that doesn't run into the UI as soon?

It is honestly a hole with no bottom finding ways in which UI 2.0 is terrible. And they've even done a run of minor improvements too - so, yes, it used to be worse.

For e.g to launch you had to click three boxes, all in different places. You couldn't cancel out of a match once you'd launched. You couldn't tell if a mech was launchable except by going into the configure screen. And the (decent, if non-interactive) smurfy overview wasn't there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kingcom posted:

Two possibilities:

A) PGI is loving retarded
B) PGI is making the interface so frustrating that you never want to customize your mechs. This means you set your mech up ones, put the expensive engine and modules in. Then buy a new engine and modules to fit in your other mech because its too frustrating to try and take it off the old mech and move it to the new one.

EDIT: The idea being that you buying more engines/modules will force you to burn through cbills fast then say gently caress it and buy MC or something. Except this is what dumb people do and just makes people grind more or beat their heads against the lovely interface.

The answer is probably both.

the idea that some of their UI bullshit is directed at being a Cbill sink is both pants-shittingly retarded and worryingly plausible.

I do at least have some faith they'll come back to it after CW, which isn't something I had before though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thronde posted:

I'm back, sitting on 12.5mil cbills I dunno what to do with. I have a D-DC atlas, Stalker 5M and my Founder Atlas all fit. See a trend in my robitting? I'm terrible in lights. Any recommendations?

Also requesting an invite to the community thing. Thronde should be correct (Posting from phone)

Jaegers (S or DD) are fun and versatile.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TeeMerk posted:

If you wait until friday alot of the mechs will be 35% off for cbills.

If I have 12 mill or so and want a clan mech for pretend money but don't care how long I wait, what's the one to wait for? I mainly drive heavies and lights rather than assaults.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dMastri posted:

I've been out of the loop for a bit. How's the new factory map? Any new developments? How's the guild/clan organization system? Any fixes to UI 2.0?

I want to stomp robot, but bringing myself to install this poo poo game yet again takes a whole lot of effort. Especially when last time I lasted all of 2 matches before UI 2.0 sent me reeling.

Factory map is decent and brawly, but not in the rotation yet (I don't think?). No major new developments, but the meta is in an ok place right now (SRMs fixed, poptarting mainly gone, ghost heat still ghost heat). Guild/clan system... exists? UI 2.0 marginally less horrible than when it started but still pretty bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Are we using mumble this time? I lost all the old WoL stuff when I got a new computer

the mumble details are in the clubhouse thread on the goonrathi forum (p 25 of this thread for details of how to sign up)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pattonesque posted:

The ones that come to mind are the Misery, Dragon Slayer, and Ember.

That being said, don't spend money on this game until they actually deliver on CW (hahaha)

Marmoset. (Ilya Muromets)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wales Grey posted:

Yes, .2 damage is absolutely noticeable. :rolleye:

little XML tweaks rather than inventing huge dumb subsystems like ghost heat is good though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

LANCE CHALLENGE

Greetings MechWarriors,

We are pleased to invite you all to try out our first ever Lance Challenge.

You can track your progress in the Challenges page here: https://mwomercs.com/profile/stats?type=challenges.
You are automatically entered into any challenge, no opt-in required.

There are three tiers to this challenge, each with their own reward unlocked upon completion. Points are assigned based on Kills, Assists, TAG, NARC and Spotting. If your team successfully wins the match, 4 additional points will be added your total. In order for points to be awarded, you MUST be in a group of 4 players: No more, no less. You may, however, mix and match your lancemates across the weekend, as well as play in any game modes.

Please see the notes below for more specific details on the Challenge. See you on the battlefield!

Event Type: Challenge.
Event Begins: Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.
Event Ends: Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.

Prizes:
Tier 1 (200 Points): 3-days of Premium Time.
Tier 2 (550 Points): 1 Free Mechbay.
Tier 3 (950 Points): 6 million C-Bills.

Scoring:
Points are only awarded while playing in a Group of 4.
Kill: 1 Point.
Assist: 2 Points.
Spot Bonus: 2 Points.
TAG Assist: 2 Points.
NARC Assist: 2 Points.
Victory: 4 Points.

This is not a terrible idea.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo this is like Christmas.

Hahaha get hosed Battletech fans. It's fitting that this announcement came like two weeks after goons inexplicably flocked back to this pile of poo poo.

It is p fuckin hilarious.

They are gonna get showered in rage.

It will be like loathing bukkake.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 6, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chomp8645 posted:

From what I can tell PGI just declared community warfare on their founders.

Lol

E: lololol

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 6, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That thread is gold

quote:

I think it's time I nerf something. That thing is my wallet. Think of it like a range nerf. It can no longer be reached.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AP posted:

A new game would cure the IP issue that they are always going to have with mechwarrior. Plus it gives exposure too as all the mechwarrior fans that gave them money, they at least will want to see where all that money went.

If it is a spaceship something game I really hope they go the whole hog and have "lifetime insurance" and the ability to gift pledges founder packs for early backers.

The potential for new PGI game forum with a thread bitching about broken promises in Star Citizen that links back to a RSI thread thread bitching about mwo has me excited. A never ending circle of broken promises, delays and doom.

It's not a coincidence the goons came back just as this happened; it's destiny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's OK.

He can't hear our complaints over the sound of the gold-plated Cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

This would all be well and good were it not for the fact that we have observed these same individuals openly mocking us and our players in third-party channels.

GOOOOOOOOOONS :argh:

• Locked thread