Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Game's somewhat ok, but it can end rather quickly because of 12 vs 12 and clan mechs. And you'll die lot faster thanks to clan mechs with high alpha damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BULBASAUR posted:

Ghost heat killed all your mechs

I'm sure you can build a sick rad alpha strike clan mech, but half the thread can't be bothered to run the math since it will make us all angry again. Also you probably have to spend money to make it happen.

You can if you go for brawler. Timber/Dire Wolf are especially good with alpha strike brawler build, and they will rip anything to shreds so fast.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Tbh PPC meta for IS mechs is still solid except it's been getting a steady indirect nerf (Jumpjet nerf, Ghost Heat, further nerf may be incoming). PGI may be looking to nerf ballistics as well because of PPC/Ballistics meta. Obviously PGI doesn't have a clue when it comes to balancing. LRM on IS mechs is somewhat viable because most Clan mechs don't come with AMS on their Prime variant.

The problem is that many newer maps favour long range weapons to wear down enemy due to the size of map and openness of terrain with lacking cover, unless it is a city map.

Clan mechs with lasers and LRM rock because of these features (hence why Timber Wolf is popular as well for those who spent $$$), and for close range brawl Clan mechs again excel with brawl build because of their number of hardpoints. Who cares about heat when you can destroy a mech fast before you overheat (or use coolant)? Also heavy/assault Clan mechs are fast enough to close in on distance.

This leaves IS mechs with limited choice of PPC/Ballistics build because at close range IS mechs stand no chance (even Atlas will melt in 15 seconds), and at long range choice of weapons are limited now. So whether you like it or not you will end up following meta just to stand a chance against Clan mechs.

I have Timber Wolf and I enjoy games using it, but with IS mechs it can be hell. If you love brawling then you will be disappointed using IS mechs atm, but if you've been using Gausspult for everything from sniping to brawling like me then it makes no difference apart from the fact that brawling is more dangerous now.

TLDR: Alpha meta is the new thing and Clan mechs will shred IS mechs with ease on this category so your only option with IS mechs is med-long range shootout.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 3, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Clan mediums: Bring lots of weapons and pew pew like they're heavies. Warhawk is pretty good afaik.

IS mediums: get hosed trying to brawl, or try to snipe it out like Cicada :suicide:

Clan mechs have superior firepower, and with everyone preferring high alpha with clan mechs mediums will die so fast.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Good. PPC should have never exceeded over 1,000 m/s considering how easy it was to fire/hit. Maybe increase the recycle duration too :colbert:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Huh so you can fire 2 C-ERLL can fire without ghost heat now again. Maybe they want to sell more Clan mechs for MC.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Hey I bought Timber Wolf and I've been enjoying it. Just that I can't use dual Gauss on it like my K2, because of XL350 engine's weight :(

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
How do you fit a hero Spider (Anansi) anyway? Its weight is bit too low to fit 2 MLas, 2 MGs, 2 AMS, Jumpjets and a NARC. Would have been easy if Spider was 35 tons though. Get rid of NARC because screw tagging bonus?

No I haven't bought it yet. Just curious.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I've given :hirez:, :pgi:, Gaijin and CRoberts some money. What more can go wrong? :suicide:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Fat Samurai posted:

You went and made me reinstall this again. I'm still bad at robbits.

Where's the mumble at?

Currently some of us are taking refuge at Goonrathi.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
12v12 is poo poo on new maps because the maps are way too big and open, which just makes finding enemy take ages and promote sniping until couple of enemy mech explode. 12v12 is poo poo on old maps because there are too many mechs clustered in small pathways. Overall 12v12 is poo poo. But no I can't say this because I haven't updated my game client yet :suicide:

And yes, to make 12v12 on newer maps work they really need to add more objectives to the maps.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

TeeMerk posted:

All of them.

Also a goon was sent a warning email from IGP/PGI for some recent in game comments towards the pubbies, so really nothing has changed.

What did that person say?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Some Omnipods (Such as Timber Wolf S variant) has penalties as well. Not a big deal though.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Dire Wolf is solid because you can fit it for whatever build you want. Timber Wolf is agile and offers Assault class damage, and can also be used for LRM boating such as 4 C-ERML + 2 LRM15+A + TAG. The only big problem with Timber Wolf is that it has XL375 which weighs lots, and therefore the armament can be limited.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Feindfeuer posted:

:v: People will not mix those Pods often, if they do they'll lose the 2.5% xp bonus and only earn as much XP as other, regular mechs.

Which is why you see Timber Wolf Prime and S variants getting stomped by LRM often because only C type has AMS. :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Propagandist posted:

Yeah, my Timberwolf works great as a LRM boat (4xLRM15 or 2xLRM20 or whatever) or a laser boat (5xERML, 2x ERLPL), but I haven't had success with sticking the Gauss on there. You can get one on there, but if you want to go with 2 for some harder hits you can't carry much else. I have seen builds with the Direwolf where you can put 2 Gauss, 6ERML, 2ERLPL and it looks like it just wrecks poo poo.

Yeah the weight of XL375 is too drat heavy. Gauss TW basically has same weapon configuration as Gauss K2 but without AMS and with much bigger (and better) XL engine. Also it comes with 2.5% XP boost! :woop: There is slight danger of losing both C-ERML at once but since nobody targets arms or side torso it should be fine. If you have OCD like me then you can remove 1 ton of ammo, slap on some armour on the other arm and move 1 C-ERML there :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 21, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Lemming posted:

You guys should get Titanfall. You can punch other robots in that game.

But I don't like having to wait until I get on a robot :(

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Propagandist posted:

Artemis: yes or no for LRM boats. I've got a LRM60 and a LRM50+A Timberwolf and I can't really tell the difference.

Warhawk vs. Direwolf: I want to get a clan assault but can't make up my mind. The Direwolf looks amazing but it's just so goddamn slow. The Warhawk is a lot faster, but doesn't have the the same hardpoints. It looks to be a good LRMboat but I've got Timberwolves for that.

It gives you better tracking and such so it's worth having Artemis for missile boats.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hal_2005 posted:

Warthunder is without a doubt better than MWO or anal fisting. Any word yet on when the strategy map / world metgame is to launch ? Or is this one of the things the pubbies stopped asking about.

Although I like Warthunder, the ground force has been pretty boring mostly because of how long it takes to go around and then instantly die to camp fest.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well I do enjoy stompy robuttes despite people telling me to quit.

Yes :pgi: is clueless when it comes to balancing (and also can't develop shits by schedule, as well has having a poo poo community and manager or something) but I enjoy playing it from time to time, spending most of my game time coming up with builds that I would love to use that would also work well.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

OptimusWang posted:

Is there a better Jaeger build right now than 3x UAC5's? My other two are setup as 2x AC 20 and 4x AC5, but unless we get into a brawl I struggle to do much damage with the boom jaeger.

That's normal with boom Jaeger. tbh unless you have clan heavy/assault your armament is restricted so it's better off specializing builds. Also high alpha is the king these days because 12 vs 12 means things explode so fast that you either have time to slow down and cool or die before overheating.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Gauss charge mechanic is dumb. 1 second to charge, and if you don't fire in 2 seconds or so, you get 1 second cool down or something. It shouldn't take that long to cool down or charge.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Are you making GBS threads me? That's the same engine that :pgi: is using? :stare:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Kazvall posted:

CAPTAIN WE'VE SPOTTED CUMBURGS AHEAD! ABOUT TO THE FACE!

CUMRUG

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
What's up with that random portrait on the right side anyway?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Someone invite me too as well. Same name as here.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Vorenus posted:

I too like to go into threads and bitch about people playing games because my opinion is superior and dammit guys you're not allowed to enjoy this.

We have had a lot of matches where we put more effort into making GBS threads up the ingame chat than actually playing, and those are the most fun of all. Harvesting more tears on the SA forums just makes it better. :allears:

But but my KDR!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Remora posted:

Decided against picking up a DWF because I could not handle being any slower. I got out of this when 2xLL+3xSRM6 was a pro Atlas build, any updates? Also in the market for a good Marmoset build if anyone has one.

I agree that XL300 is pretty slow. However with Speed Tweak it should be slightly better. But the real perk of Dire Wolf is that you can fit virtually anything into that thing without weight constraint.

Current engagement is that people start shooting at long range with PPC, LRM or ERLL, then close in when enemy mechs start dying for quick high alpha salvo. Since damage is extremely high thanks to clan mechs everyone just aims at CT. Assuming you're talking about D-DC, 2 LL is probably changed to 2 ERLL and you'll also need AC/20 for pinpoint damage but it's still a good mech that doesn't lack firepower much and provides ECM. Just don't go out brawling like before because you will die in 10~15 seconds. A Timber Wolf with 4 SRM6 and 4 ERML will shred you in 15~20 seconds alone.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

mashed_penguin posted:

I played robots today for pretty much the first time in a year. It is pretty much still the same game with the addition of clan poo poo and different coloured lasers. I did have fun blowing up robots though.

I had the most fun blowing up Sean Lang of NGNG while he was streaming http://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv/b/564549351 at ~50 mins in.

It really is mind blowing how little progress they have made other than making GBS threads out new mechs.

Srms do seem like they work now which is nice.

His face expression when you Squawked was priceless. :v: Also shooting your legs instead of CT when it's 2v1. Hilarious.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Took me 51 games, of 29 games loving around with Spider-5D (14 wins 10 points). Other 22 games were taken seriously, with 16 wins and 10 points. Personally using Timberwolf with 2 C-LRM15+A was the easiest and little :effort:. Just had to stay alive after getting the 1 kill I needed.

Overall this is a poo poo event but I decided to do it because I need 2 Victor variants (now 1).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Went to spin my Gausspult. Holy poo poo, I can't believe the amount of attraction I got. I've had around 5 mechs charging at me per game, and assaults/heavies always trying to shoot me whenever they saw me. Some people even dropped Arty right where I was standing :stare:

It was intense but great fun though, managed to pop 2 light mechs per game and pulled off 1v3 without dying. Gausspult sucked without Quirk but I'd say it's now decent as long as you remember to charge shots and not lose side torso armor. I hope to use it more as med range brawler like I always used to.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

2,696.4 xp with premium, no 2X and 2.5X xp bonus. (13,482 with all bonuses)
Dual Gauss Hellbringer with 4 tons ammo, ECM and virtually no armor cuz no Endo Steel :argh:

It's like faster K2 that is hard to be spotted but slightly weaker and lacks lasers and AMS.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 29, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Not sure if its CT hitbox is big, but yeah I've been getting CT cored easily far too much.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Direwhale-B with 2 Gauss (Reload 5) and 2 ERPPC. I can't believe that pubbies whined about PPC projectile speed nerf, because holy poo poo this thing is so loving easy to use. Just that it gets tedious to lead aim so I just shot at pubbies who stopped to reverse when they saw me. Did need to manage heat because firing ER PPC too fast got me to over 80% heat level fast, but apart from that it was straight forward to use.

XP bonus is 2X daily, 2.5X event and 0.025 from Omnipod set bonus, which means I got 3,129 xp with premium :stare: And with that all Basic skills unlocked in one go.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Not my trial, don't care :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Paramemetic posted:

That was your DWF?

Locust-3M OP plz nerf PGI
That's mere 1,842.8 xp without 2.5X event. :colbert: MY SPIDER-5D CAN DO BETTER

Aesis fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 30, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Welp, that's MWO dont for a week. Dropping solo was so terrible. You just know your pubbie team's going to get wiped if they all look at each other and refuse to move in front of others, and assaults use mediums or heavies as cover. And then they all retreat back to base at the first sign of enemy, because 'turrets will help us win!' :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well the current meta is pretty much hard hitters (mostly fast), LRM or PPC. Who cares about overheat when you can alpha 2~3 times, use coolshot and shoot some more?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
LRM is ok if you want to be lazy. It's just that your average pubbie team's going to get wiped peeking out, or they'll be successful because enemy team's sitting at open field. You want a stalemate when running LRM so you can poo poo as much LRM as possible. Think I managed 2,000 XP (with prem) last night purely making GBS threads 2 LRM20+A with Timberwolf. Did have 4 ML and 1 TAG but didn't use those that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Mindblast posted:

STD in a spider? Are you sure? :stare:
Stock comes with STD 240.

• Locked thread