Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
The OP is awful and I don't want to read the mostly butthurt previous 190-odd pages before people started actually playing again, so anyone want to tell me what the best way to drop with goons is? I've mostly been solo queueing on and off since the beta while I waited for things to gently caress and then unfuck themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

axelsoar posted:

[comms instructions]

Heh, ok

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Darwinism posted:

I gave in and reinstalled this game because giant stompy robots, where do you people hang out and form lances?

axelsoar posted:

Stalkerr posted:
Mumble Instructions for Robots
Download Mumble: http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page
Server: mumble.goonrathi.com
Server Password: mellon

Just log in with that password and any username other than veedubfreak and you're good to go. No Goonrathi membership is required to play robots. See you in the MWO rooms!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Having stuff shoot from below your field of view is unintuitive, at least for me, and it makes eyeballing your convergence for snap shots weird as well.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

axelsoar posted:

Got 1 hour and 40 minutes so far, also, is it odd that during 'Killing in the Name of' I whisper 'Lowtax' every time they say that?

Yes

axelsoar posted:

:negative: I tried. I tried so hard

How do you have your Jenner fit, because I have a founder's Jenner that I can't seem to make nearly that good. Also a description of how you fight with the fit would be helpful.

I'm also a bad player which likely contributed but anything helps.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Huh, I saw someone be pretty effective with 2x llas so had been trying that but haven't played enough in the new meta to see other options. Think I like these better. I'm also cbill poor so never seem to have enough for engine upgrades :smith:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Part of my problem is I like to sneak up the sides of the map and can't resist taking potshots whenever I see an exposed back. I then get mobbed by all of whoever's buddies. Maybe I should just stick to assaults where my tendency to red mist is less destructive.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

If you can resist the temptation to red mist until the big push happens, drawing all the fire of the enemy team is actually a p. useful skill as an assault.

It's so hard to resist but I am definitely good at drawing fire

:negative:

To be clear, I usually stay with the group in an assault but I sometimes find I have a hard time knowing when to disengage or picking the right targets in the first place, hopefully that's more an experience thing.

What's the best atlas in the current meta? I used to run a Llas / uac5 fit that had a mediocre alpha but really high sustained output. E: it was a DDC

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

Community warfare Dec 16 patch, along with the Gargoyle and King Crab. Hell-bringer is the Dec 3 patch.

UI 3.0 almost done with smurfy style mech building almost done.

Links or lies

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

axelsoar posted:

IT IS NOT A CRIME.

I feel like I'm missing some context on this one.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Baudin posted:

Pretty sure some scum enterprising goon will put together a group of bads willing to endure clan bullshit so you won't have to be alone. Hopefully this will provide plenty of goon on goon violence, butt hurt recriminations, and other entertainment for the majority of us.

Pretty sure someone last night was saying they had already done this, oddly enough, with the tag BADS.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Banano posted:

Come back alpine all is forgiven

I like the new map other than the dumb tree hitboxes.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

axelsoar and parametric!

I took your guides and added them to the new MWO section of the wiki.

FAKEEDIT: Oh, there's a MWO section on the wiki now.

Link?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Do the cooldown modules have any effect on heat generation? It would seem that increasing your rate of fire on already hot weapons wouldn't have much effect as you'd be constrained by over heating? These things didn't exist last time I played though so I'm clueless.

I'm just getting back into it but I think your burst is generally more important than your sustained firepower, since with a high burst you can knock something down before it has time to shoot back much. Once you kill something you often can pause for a moment to cool off.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Anyone have a good Jenner 7-D fit they can suggest? I have the founders one so want to try to get some mileage out of it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Thanks. Was using 4xmpl but didn't have a good idea of how to better use the mech's quirks.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I got my first solo wounded gazelle kill tonight, I think I'm going to enjoy this as a change from my fatlas.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hellbringer / Loki used to be one of my favourites in MW2 I think?

Also, server's up if any nerds want to shot robit

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I've never understood the relationship between IGP and PGI. I originally understood them to be owned by the same people and just separated for legal reasons but that doesn't seem to be the case based on recent activities.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Gotta say, I own way harder on solo queue than on the group queue, but mainly because I run lights and just harass and gently caress poo poo up. Same thing doesn't work as well if the other team is coordinated enough to say "hey don't chase Jenners."

Yeah, I rolled a facefuck Jenner last night in solo and tonight in group and it was like night and day.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

The issue with LRM in the current "competitive" meta is that the current meta is all about direct fire pinpoint damage making GBS threads, ideally from a range. So for example twin gauss, PPCs, etc. slamming out damage at 800+ meters but with direct line of sight. The problem with this with regards to LRMs is either the LRM boats have to expose themselves to get a line of sight for a shot, in which case they get wrecked by gauss fire, or the spotters have to expose themselves, and get wrecked the same way. Even the sneakiest spotters won't last long because as soon as LRMs start falling the other team knows to look for spotters, and with BAP nerfed back down to 240, it's not really possible to get close enough to counter ECM. Also, competitive teams will bring 2-3 ECM dudes and then that's that, the bubble can't be pierced and if it is, the pierce is getting popped.

The other problem is that those pinpoint damage monsters can brawl, whereas LRM boats can't. LRMs are useless when the brawl commences, but ERPPCs and Gauss Rifles still wreck your poo poo immediately.

They're just not great in the current state of the game except for peppering damage onto poo poo or beating the absolute gently caress out of someone caught foolishly in the open, which happens plenty in pub drops and occasionally in group queue but you won't see pro teams that are coordinating leaving dudes out to get LRMed to death.

That said, goons are notorious for brawling, it's kind of a trademark, and the important thing is brawling is still viable if you can close the gap. The problem with the current meta is that it's easy to close the gap on LRM boats, you just bring an ECM bubble or AMS umbrella, use good positioning, and so on. It's much harder to close the gap on direct fire poo poo, because the only option is positioning, and moving a blob through cover is difficult if not impossible for assaults.

But goons brawl fantastically. In truth our best bet would be to either evolve with the meta to figure out how to break direct damage poo poo, or split to 50/50 brawl/snipe where we can move a few big brawlers across the field while keeping counterfire minimized with our own sniper dudes.

IDK, I'm not an expert at this poo poo, I usually do okay versus current "meta" builds because they are hard to use against lights that don't stop, but if you stop you get popped in one shot is the other side of things, and most competitive players are good enough to lead a light properly. So I dunno.

What I do know is that we have a lot of lovable spergs who can't wait to turn this into a serious business game again, and if we can filter those dudes through our good cat herding leader types, we'll be in business within a week or two of CW starting. Basically our higher up math warriors who understand the meta way better than I go "loving goons suck at doing ___________ which is how you win," and then myself and some other dudes from back in the Before Times will go "okay guys here's how we're gonna do this" and filter it through by writing guides and straight up leading a battlefield, and then, then we will gently caress poo poo Up.

I am really hopeful for a day when we can run a squad of 3-4 lights and wolfpack poo poo, the most fun I've had in this game was running light squads through the tunnel to gently caress up the backsides of other teams back before Clans and poo poo.

Incidentally when CW becomes a thing I will be writing a whole thing on the Incident Command System and what it teaches us about leadership, like scope of command being 6 dudes so we probably want to run two groups instead of 12 just for good unit discipline and so on. I would love to be the sperg who runs two different PTT buttons for two different mumble channels so I can talk to the main force command guy while I lead my little lance of scrappy lights around. But that's probably a thing they do in EVE and I don't want to get too serious until we figure out if this will be a serious CW.

Mainly, I yearn to return goons to our glorious Goatse Citadel at our native Butte Hold, and then to just absolutely wreck the roleplaying dreams of pubbies. And I know you goons yearn for it with me. No sound so sweet to the ears as "gently caress goons."

This is literally EVE fleet commanding although on a small scale, so if you want to build a fort on tryhard mountain, this is the way to do it. One difference is that FCs / lance leaders in MWO won't be able to specialize nearly as much as the nature of the game means their damage matters much more than in EVE.

Baudin posted:

Or sitting right behind that dire whale, coring it from behind while it gets distracted by a few heavies on your team.

Oh wait, never mind I'm the one on the other end of the laser barrels in that case :v:

I did this in a Jenner the other night and it was immensely satisfying. I then got instacored the next 5 times I tried but hey that one time

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's basically how I imagine Elemental pilots would look.

Close:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Top Goon! :dukedog:

That's like claiming to have the least padded helmet

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Why are they calling you cheaters near the end? Teamwork is op?

You may have missed that it was eatpants saying "they are cheaters"

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Kazvall posted:

You shoulda seen it from my helmets point of view man!

We were doing well enough last night that I was getting delusions of getting better at the game. This only lasted until tried to do some pub dropping in my Jenner :negative:

I need lessons or something, poo poo is hard

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Jenner lessons are my roots, son. We'll drop Jenners together sometime, idk tomorrow or Thursday night maybe. I'll teach you to die harder.

Yeah, I was following you around the other night when you were running a locust for challenge mode. I should be around a couple nights this week.

Kazvall posted:

Find a mech you like and play the poo poo out of it. I have something like 2 days in game playtime on my Atlas D-DC. It feels very comfortable to drive and I know what I am capable of with it.

E: Archived and current playtime over 2 years or whenever they started keeping track.

Yeah, I normally use my dad and am much more solid in it. Part of the problem might have been that I went from half a dozen drops in my dad where we stomped straight to solo drops in the Jenner. Such a different playstyle.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ripersnifel made fun of me last night for being bad

i am bad and deserved it

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Let's be serious for a second. If the powers that be don't step up and help out for CW I'm starting my own drat unit so we can take over the map. Someone is going to commit suicide, god drat.

Call it LoL: Losers of Lowtax

Appropriate in several ways

Especially funny if we get a LoL ticker all over the map

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Stalkerr posted:

That sounds great. Thanks for doing all that work.

We'll continue to use that wiki. I'm still investigating possibly moving to confluence, but that's far enough out on the timetable that we can plan a migration when we cross that bridge.

I'll post a link to it on the MOTD tonight.

That's the plan. We tried to do that awhile back, but only Anders had privs. I'll shame him to log back on and fix the priv issues so we can get more folks to invite, and just overall manage, the in-game org.

EDIT: OK, I can't blame Anders entirely. According to 19, there's a bug where only the leader can actually change ranks, and the privilege to do so can't be given out. Anders will need to transfer leadership for us to address the issue (or we'll open a support ticket to have that done).

Don't use confluence. GSF tried it for ages in EVE and mediawiki is better, inspire if it's problems.

I'll put my hand up to help with stuff. I'm an FC in EVE so know how to herd nerds, although I need to do some more work on sucking less at robots. We've had some good runs the last few nights I've been on. To the extent we need to do internet diplomacy with other nerds I'd be interested in that sort of thing as well, although I suspect there won't be much room for it in the initial iteration of CW.

Mindblast posted:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here.

My guess is self-immolation

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Willfrey posted:

Man i am upset about robot vido gam

The best part about the last couple nights had been listening to Wicaeed get increasingly angry about everything

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

sebmojo posted:

haha those stats are just loving retarded

do you have any videos of you playing? because i am bad and i harbour a sweet deathless dream of one day being less bad.

Seconding this, I would like to know more about how to robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Haha. No thanks, buddy. :D

I'll keep playing my garbage builds.

I will stand in dunceUAC5 corner with you

E: oh, :rip:

• Locked thread