Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hi, I'm aniviron of the same name from the MWO forums! I used to be a lot more prolific there. PoptartsNinja was kind enough to offer me an account here so I would have a better place to discuss robots of all shapes and stompinesses.

I look forward to watching the latest PR disaster from a safe distance with you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

'sup. Welcome to the fold. Be sure to check out the thread he mentioned and get your name on the waiting list. It's an amazing read.

Yeah, you weren't kidding! It's a lot to take in.

Oh, and you may/may not recognize me as abraxo_cleaner on r/mwo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

wid posted:

*The irony is that they don't even have to be super competent at making games. Take Digital Extremes, maker of Warframne, for example. They're very bad at coding the game itself, each patch would break more stuff before hotfixed hastily and balance is out of whack, while the art department is top notch. Sounds familiar? So why is Warframe sitting on 10 million users while MWO struggling to make ends meet? The different is... *gasp* communication. DE is very open with their community, for good and for ill, and never snarky or showed disdain to dissenters. They patch and shuffle things around often and appear to genuinely enjoy making this game and having us play it. While PGI continues to deal with their own customers as if pulling teeth and ignore (or even stamp out) criticism. They continue to treat their customers like spoiled demanding children (which, honestly, right on the nose) but they should've known this is the side effect of a nostalgic, already established IP. Maybe it's also the reason they made the space game their own IP.

It's to be expected. DE might not be a great studio, but their past releases include Unreal Tournament/2003/4, Bioshock, and Pariah, which was a fun but generic shooter. PGI has Outlaw Chopper, Marine Sharpshooter, DNF's multiplayer, that terrible Die Hard game, and a game that was too awful to even get published and is now getting them sued.

I think you're right on the money about the community interaction though. DE is used to their customers being the people who play UT/Bioshock, PGI is used to their customers being people who buy stuff from the bargain bin for their grandchildren because they don't know the difference.

Fil5000 posted:

A reminder that they HAVE actually been hitting their self declared deadlines this year. They've not delivered a shitload of stuff, but anything they've put a date on has actually shown up on time. I'm as sceptical as the next man, but I don't think they'd be saying December 21st if they weren't drat sure they were going to deliver this stuff by that date.

As everyone else is saying, I'm sure it will be on time; it's just going to be really disappointing when it gets here. They even messed up the release of cockpit glass pretty badly, and UI2 is hardly a glowing example.

Back when Ask the Devs was a thing I got a question answered where the gist was, "Is CW going to be a map that I don't care about or will it actually have attack/defend gameplay, persistent assets that affect match outcome (i.e. buying turrets to garrison planets)" and was enthusiastically told that of course CW is going to have all the things that actually make the game interesting. Yet here we are, over a year later, and it looks an awful lot like CW is going to come out and it's going to be a map for a galaxy that I don't care about, since I'm not unit-affiliated.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neo Helbeast posted:

I believe there is a stipulation in their clause that Microsoft could pull the plug on them at any time as part of the license renewal.

Yeah, but do you think Microsoft is going to do that? It'd have to be something pretty loving egregious for them to say, "Yeah, we're willing to give up the money we got from that license, even though we're not going to use it." MS has no desire to develop PC games anymore, so they won't be making the next Mechwarrior; which means that as far as they're concerned, if someone wants to pay them money for it, that's just grand, it beats having it sitting around making no money at all like it used to be doing.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 12, 2014

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries is still probably my favorite, even though the graphics are super dated. There was just something incredibly fun about being rewarded for NOT doing one of the major story missions by taking a one-off black ops job to steal a Kodiak (and then turning around and killing the people who hired you to steal it for yourself).

Edit: I still have my physical copy. If I could figure out how to get it to run on my computer I'd probably play very little else.

MW2: Mercs runs flawlessly on DOSBox (using w7) if you follow these http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:MechWarrior_2 instructions and disregard the poo poo about the config file, I don't use it and it runs great. Also don't be silly and rip to img like they suggest, iso+cue works better, because then the music actually plays. I'd been trying to get this game working for years, running a VM with windows 98 is full of awful because the game gets too many resources (missiles blow up instantly when leaving tubes, heat has no max capacity, jumpjets never recharge, etc) but the DOSbox setup has none of these problems. I've been working on a speedrun, but I no longer have a joystick and the game is resistant to my attempts to remap some of the controls, which makes it a lot less fun.

Bubbacub posted:

Which version of MW2:Mercs has dynamic salvage? I play an image of my original 1.05 CD in Dosbox, and all the salvage is scripted.

The last patch for MW2: Mercs adds dynamic salvage, but only for the Windows version. There were more patches released for the Windows edition that never made it to the DOS version. I haven't been able to find a way to get the Win version of MW2 Mercs working, or I would totally use that instead for the salvage.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

OB_Juan posted:

I know that this is WAY more than what Russ was looking for, but everything since ECM is balanced around it. Changing one part will only make things worse than they are now. If it's a time issue, I'd be willing to wait waaay longer to get it fixed right than not fixed. I'd bet the farm that I'm not the only one.

You are not. I typed up a loving essay ( http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/171015-information-warfare-role-warfare-and-the-future-of-ecm/page__p__3717238#entry3717238 ) and then minutes later read that Russ is looking for a solution that doesn't involve changing anything else; which is retarded, because the whole point of ECM is interacting with other sensor systems.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hey, so what with PGI putting on a nice smiley public-facing appearance, I think the time might be ripe to resurrect a call for a Tetatae bobblehead cockpit item. For those not familiar, here is A Modest Proposal for Tetatae Bobbleheads.

It'd be a great way to see just how committed PGI are to listening to what people want, and how willing they are to make amends with a group they perceive as having slighted them. Bobbleheads are be a low-investment, high-return item, and if they're not willing to make this (or at least consider it) they won't be taking any difficult suggestions more seriously.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tabletop mechs are also far more maneuverable than any game has tried to mimic. I'm pretty sure jump jets would have actual directional control for one, so you don't just run forward and jump, and hope everything works out for you.

As said prior, you could DFA in 4, but with the actual amount of control you have, it doesn't happen often, or even rarely.

You could DFA in MW2 (And the AI even tried to do it to you! They were pretty bad at it though) but you got a lot of freedom with jump controls. You could full forward/back/left/right, up/down, and hard pivot left/right. MW2's jets also let you get the crazy full hundreds of meters worth of jump out of your jets, you could easily climb skyscrapers with them if you hopped from one to the next. Horizontal movement got you up to 300kph.

Been working on a MW2 speedrun, using a lot of jets. :P

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Great Beer posted:

IGP was basically Hitler, according to PGI. Except all the stupid gameplay things everyone hates were Paul's fault but we ignore that bit.

I think Russ said he's taking over for Paul, at least for some balance stuff? I'd have to dig a little to source that, but I don't think my memory is going that fast.

A part of me wants to say he can't do a worse job, but we'll certainly get ample opportunity to see.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tank Boy Ken posted:

They should add a 1vs1 league system. Call it Solaris/Trials of being TopFurry with 5 different "leagues": Light, Medium, Heavy, "Open" (Open = bring whatever). Split into IS/Clan queues. Use this to calculate Elo ratings.

After a while add team matches (2vs2, 4vs4). Make 3 monthly league fights of X top players/teams. Entry fee is 1k MC, pay out some MC for winners. Use "Duncan Fisher" (George Ledoux as live speaker, for top matches (top 3?). If he can do such things as awesome live as with text. I do realize those are 2 different skill sets. Make profit, get publicity also get some players back (maybe).

In the age of "clouds" server # shouldn't be a real problem. And if my IT knowledge doesn't fail me, 12 Servers with 1vs1 should produce less traffic than 1 Server with 12vs12? Or am I retarded? I know I'm retarded for still caring about MW:O.

PGI once said that it takes the same resources to use a server for a 1v1 or a 12v12 and that's why free private matches have to be 12v12. Not sure if they're full of poo poo and just trying to squeeze money out of people or what. The move to 12v12 in spite of the damage it does to gameplay does lend credence to the idea, however.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dramicus posted:

Man, clans are going to own this mode so hard. Everyone could drop with Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, Stormcrow, Koshi/Kitfox and they would poo poo on pretty much anything the IS could bring to the table.

The KFX-D is pretty great. It's 30 tons, but carries more lurms (40) than a stock catapult (30) with 990 11lb warheads while at max armor.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be not great. It has completely changed my opinion of the Kitfox. It makes assaults cry, particularly IS mechs. Why gently caress around in the danger zone with a JR7-F when I can hold left mouse to 400-700 damage per match in a Kitfox?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

e: Some guy on the brown sea is claiming that there's an upcoming lance challenge although I can't seem to find a news page or whatever he's getting his screenshot from. What is a lance challenge?

If you check your profile -> stats -> challenges it shows an upcoming event, even though it hasn't been announced. It always works like this for some reason, there's no reason not to announce that these events will be happening as soon as that page is up, but they always hold off until the last minute. Here: https://mwomercs.com/profile/stats?type=challenges

A lance challenge means you drop with exactly three friends/confederates/meat shields in the group queue, and accumulate points for doing things like winning, killing, assisting, and you get twice as many points for NARCing or TAGging as you do for those things. The last one was great, nothing but LRMs all weekend long in the group queue. Get enough Piggy Points, and they'll bless you with a few spacebucks or a mech bay or something. Looks like the upcoming challenge gives premium time and GXP.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

I would look at Kit Foxes harder because I have been playing a little in Smurfys and they aren't unsalvagable (SO. SLOW.) but they also cost as much as it would cost for me to buy the two more Stalkers I would need to Elite them out.

So what the gently caress. The winds just aren't blowing in the direction of lights I guess.

Do we know if there will be any new IS lights coming along someday?

Kitfoxes aren't that costly, honestly. To fully kit out a JR7-F with endo, ferro, etc costs just shy of 11m cbills, assuming that you're buying the XL300 to go with it. If you don't mind swapping out the engine every single time you play, it comes to... just short of 6m cbills. Which is the price of a Kitfox, that comes with endo, ferro, and doesn't get to change the engine out.

Clan lights are really bad, but at least they're not unreasonably expensive, compared to IS lights.

Fil5000 posted:

It does mean that you're burning that light slot on it instead of on something that can run like gently caress and hit you in the arse with a bunch of medium lasers.

Clan lights are pretty bad at being lights.

They're really good at being mediums and light heavies though. Well, the Kitfox is. You can take 24 SRMs or 12 SRMs, a PPC, and ECM on one; and your fat friends will appreciate your company, either for your magical EM-wave umbrella or for your ability to hit people in the back for 48 damage over and over while they're distracted. Hell, the stock KFX-D is a good mech, with a slight modification you can be launching 40 LRMs per salvo to help out, or 35 plus ECM. It's not at all the same role as an IS light, but it's undeniably useful.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

So I'm playing around in Smurphy, messing around with the Kit Fox, and I came up with what might be a decent ECM/mop-up build. 3xERML, 2xMG, 2xAMS, ECM, 2xJJ. 14xDHS.

Basically you find yourself some bigger and badder mechs and shadow them, giving an ECM bubble and shooting down missiles. Use your ERMLs to poke at things, and when the brawl is on and internals start opening up you have the MGs to crit-seek with.

Smurphy link

Kind of feel like it's a relatively light loadout though. You could drop 3 DHS and swap to MPLs if you don't mind running hot. Or maybe lose DHS for a targeting computer? Not sure just how much those help.

That's way too much MG ammo for two of them. Drop a ton for two more JJs, or a DHS.

That said, I am really enjoying http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=176&l=f7320c91092908912239b0b6b08164dfa6963d74 . Normally your job in an ECM mech is to sit back being a useless little poo poo while helping your teammates by just sorta walking around slowly with them and hoping a fight breaks out in range of your weapons while some of them are still alive. Well, since it's fragile and slow the Kitfox is great at sitting back with teammates ambling around, but now you're actually, you know, doing damage all match long while you provide an ECM safety blanket. You can dump the medium laser for a ton more ammo, that's up to you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I ended up going with this. 1t of MG ammo, 2.5t of AMS ammo, 14xDHS, uses every crit slot (it doesn't want to save with the RA actuators selected for some reason).

Seems to do surprisingly well, at least until being a 30-ton paper-armored mech gets me dead.

The Kitfox hits pretty hard, my instinct with the mech is like "Yeah you've got 45 tons of swagger, you can take a couple hits" and then a whale or gausscombo takes my leg/side torso off with one shot.

I like your revisions, still recommend trying another two jumpjets for half a ton of ams and half of mg. It's not worth it on most mechs, but the KFX gets a massive boost out of each extra jet because it's only 30 tons. When JJs got reworked the 30-ton slot was set up to be the sweet spot since the Spider's thing is supposed to be how high it can jump, but the KFX reaps the benefit. Helps a bit with survivability.

Also also, does the hand actuator actually do anything? Tried it out in the testing grounds, it doesn't improve my arm reach at all. Am I missing something? Lower arm actuators are great, hand actuators just add dorky protrusions making your big fragile arms even bigger, as far as I cant ell.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

They could probably circumvent the shoddy collision code if they bothered to put some hacks in place. Just put in an invisible box with Speed/Weight > Enemy = Knocks over enemy, then fashion animations for falling over and laying on the floor instead of using physics ragdoll.

It might not be the prettiest thing, but its way better than a Metal Baby somehow blocking Atlas movement.

That's exactly what CB collisions were, and they were still a mess.

It also meant that somehow Jenners could still knock over my Awesomes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

This. If I want to play a boat I'll play a boat, if I want to play an ECM bubble I'll do that, but if I want to light I want to go fast and die hard.

The Kitfox is the only fun I've ever had playing a lurmboat outside of LRM15x4 in an AWS-8R during the various lrmpocalypses. It's fun to have more firepower than a lot of the heavies on the other team. I'm generally a diehard brawler but am having a good time with LRMfox. It's a terrible sniper though.

On the plus side, the KFX gets half of your equation right- it definitely dies hard. All the armor of a spider with none of the speed, and two and a half times as wide!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dramicus posted:

Clan Minimum Viable Product

I like that it has the option of making MVPs of us. \o/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, I just started playing this game last night and I'm currently in the market for some advice. So, I'm thinking about using either a light or a (preferably fast) medium mech, as I prefer flanking and speed over being slow and powerful, but seeing as I'm not actually all that familiar with the MW games (blasphemy, I know) I'm not sure which one to go for. At the moment after looking through the descriptions on the MWO wiki and this thread's OP I'm leaning towards either the Jenner or the Firestarter - preferably equipped primarily (if not entirely - unless this is strongly unrecommended, of course) with lasers. But yeah, I'm also considering going for a medium mech, although if I do, are there any that just have arm slot weapons? Since the way I've played so far, I'm very infrequently facing/shooting forwards, as I tend to just hoon around shooting enemies over my mech's shoulder.

So yeah, if anyone would care to help out an inexperienced MWOer, I would greatly appreciate it! :shobon:

Jenner is a reliable classic and sorta neat looking. Lot of fun to play, and it has missile options.

The Firestarter does pretty much everything the Jenner does better because it has magic hitboxes, unlike the Jenner which is about 45% center torso. It doesn't have a missile variant though, and the best version is cash-only. According to Kiiyor's data though, the cash Firestarter is the best light in the game, and all the Firestarters do well.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

I loving hate Embers with a passion. They're big enough to not die easily at the speeds they can get to, and they can mount 4x medium laser and 4x machine guns. loving vultures come in and carve you up once you have open internals. :mad:

If you believe http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170174-is-vs-clans-with-science/page__p__3695117#entry3695117 (and that's up to you) the Ember is one of the best mechs in the game. Numbers are probably skewed because people who buy heroes are less likely to have no clue at all how to play, they've got at least a bit of experience. Makes sense though, 4ml is easy to keep cool, 4mg does quite a lot of damage once you get through armor plus no heat makes it a pretty good mech. The hosed up hitboxes help a lot too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

This is poetry about lights. I cried a small tear.

It is a thing of beauty.

The Kitfox is only boring if you play it like it's boring through. Sometimes you just, y'know, gently caress giving your team ECM cover, that poo poo's lame. Put four SRM6 on there and go hurt some people.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

I just think weapon-specific quirks open up the possibility of a slippery-slope 'you pretty much have to play this stock/how PGI wants you to to get the best performance out of it' situation.

I mean, granted, we only have a few examples to go by so it might not be this bad. But remember this is :pgi: we're talking about. The guys who thought Ghost Heat was a good idea.

While I do definitely agree that it's a problem in terms of stifling player creativity, the weapon balance was sorta doing that already. Why bring anything but the same few guns on most builds when they're clearly the best?

If done correctly, weapon specific quirks promote varied loadouts that don't suck. I don't think encouraging people to bring canon-ish builds is a bad thing, assuming that it doesn't mean their robots are terrible.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being naive. Everything in the October proposal is a good idea, makes sense, fixes problems people have been talking about, and isn't pitiful or insane. As long as they don't gently caress up the execution of it too badly...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

. . . So they're going to nerf the good lights, and the Victor? These are their priorities?

A Jenner nerf might be exactly what I need to kick this habit, lol

Tier 1 means no quirks. The Victor is considered tier 1 because it has had its negative quirks removed.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

Oh did you find me arguing with that idiot in the roadmap discussion thread? :allears:

Also, I've totally forgotten who it was that was commenting on my Splatfox build earlier tonight, but there's the set-up for the curious. It's honestly kind of a mini-splatfox because no way am I giving up the ECM arm.

e: Fixed armor balance & added arm actuators for crit padding.

It's not a splatfox unless you go all out and do 4SRM6! :mad:

That's a super solid build though. I run a similar fit, but drop the AMS to switch to a pulse laser, and dropped two JJs for two MGs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tank Boy Ken posted:

But butt butt... they talked to competitive team members!? Didn't that solve all problems?

I cringe every time Russ says they talked to some competitive players. There are a lot of competitive idiots in this game. They compete in MWO because they're too stupid and bad at games to compete in games that actually have a large, active player base.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

Oh well. I think the Hunchback's rear hunch torso is small enough that front-loading its armor is a really good option, but I don't know if that's still true either.

Nah, they changed that, which is a shame. I used to be able to get away with having 1 armor on my HBK's rear RT, but I have it at 4 now.

It's a wash anyway, it got +10 internal structure HP in the last quirk balance pass so it still has more health before getting destroyed than it used to, even if the rear never gets touched. We'll see what happens in the new quirk pass, the HBKs are pretty low on the tier list, they should get some great quirks. Really, if that hunch weren't such a liability it'd be one of the best mediums with that godly torso twist and small overall size.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Washout posted:

The last one was great and super easy, I STILL get lost trying to navigate it, and finding my seismic sensor when I first started playing again was a 20 minute ordeal.

Also why wont pgi add the best mech

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/UrbanMech

Edit: I take it back, they need to add this mech instead

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/UrbanMech_IIC

Don't lose hope- Russ said that the IIC mechs were going in once the front line mechs were in. Though he might have been blowing smoke, hard to tell.

I tried to find the post for you, but he's posted so much in the last couple weeks I gave up. Which is not a bad thing, I guess.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

They're both energy boats, both DOA in MWO.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Chrono found out how to collect all the people who don't understand satire into one convenient location!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

People have no loving idea how to react if you use jump jets for anything other than poptarting. It's hilarious. I just had a 2-kill, 390-damage pub drop in my 2xCERML, CSSRM6 Kit Fox because all the low buildings in River City Night let me pop up, alpha, then drop behind cover and reposition.

Jump Jets are great and I am putting them on anything that can mount them.

Yeah, loving SRM poptarting is amazing when you do it right. Had a Nova on top of the citadel on river night, just keep peeking up in a splatfox and he had no loving idea what happened. It's alarming on Caustic too, broke 1k damage in a Kitfox by just popping over the ridges and dumping 48 SRMs into a whale's face and then fading. poo poo's a lot of damage.

Oxyclean posted:

Honestly that's a pretty solid improvement over previous contests. If the point of these contests is supposed to make people log in and play, it really, really helps to offer something more then a small reward to the top 10 players. Not really sure how easy/hard it is to get 130 points.

Although the fact they have a cap is still kinda of funny.

It's not too bad to get 130. First game in I had 1 kill, 9 assists, 400 damage, and got 170 points, so that's not a very high bar.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

RangerAce posted:

Yeah, the game has a pretty steep learning curve, to be honest. Due in no small part to several gameplay mechanics that are completely unintuitive, and are not clearly documented by :pgi:. How do ghost heat, ECM, and jump jets work? I don't even know anymore.

Jump jets have actually gotten better. Now more jumpjets = faster acceleration in air, higher total height, better turn radius. Before 1 jumpjet = 10 jumpjets in terms of lift acceleration and turning, and about half of the max height. It's pretty much linear now I think?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

suchanderp posted:

Something like this monstrosity of an STK-3F? - even has four MLas. Seems waaaay better than my CPLT.

Not going to be cheap, though.

Thanks for the loadout help, goons. I appreciate it.

Be aware that 2x15 + 2x10 will trigger ghost heat on those lurms if you fire them at once. If you switch to 2x20 + 2x5, you get the same number of lurms with no ghost heat. I think it weighs more though.

p.s. because 10s and 15s are linked for ghost heat you get 4x15 ghost heat for your current build.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Edit: what was someone telling me on Mumble last night about just using one of the legs from the KFX-S on any KFX for bringing jumpjets in order to avoid stacking quirk penalties? Does that only allow you to bring 2 Jumpjets if you do that?

I wasn't the one on mumble, but yeah, bring as few KFX-S parts as you can get away with. If you want two jumpjets, bring the two side torsi, if you want four, bring one leg and both side torsi. Each leg reduces your turning speed by like 5% and each side torso reduces your torso twist speed by 5%, which isn't as important. If you have all four KFX-S omnipods you've got Victor-level penalties to your agility, which hurts something fierce.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

Are clan lbx hitscan also?

No, they shoot particles that have travel time. It's quick, but you still need to lead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

The -2X and -4X can go 140kph, that's plenty of speed to disengage.

In fact I'd say that the speed difference (150kph for -3L, 140kph for -2X/-4X) is pretty meaningless, they are all fast enough. The only thing holding the other variants back in your opinion is the lack of ECM. But I don't see anyone calling Jenners poo poo because they can't mount ECM.

It's not that the 2X/4X are unplayable robots, but that they're both objectively worse than even the JR7-K. They go slower, have less hardpoints, and worse hitboxes. There's just no reason to buy either of them for any reason other than eliting the 3L. Even if you're not buying mech bays, buy the three Ravens, sell the bad two, buy the three Jenners, sell the bad one. And I say this as someone who currently has a 2X and 4X sitting at like 100k XP past mastery.

Maybe the quirk pass will change things, but I doubt it. What the Ravens really need is to not have leg hitboxes that are 50% larger than the model though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I can't wait for the AH but I know it's going to be disappointing. I am leveling an AL right now and god drat that arm comes off fast. Going to be worse when people are actively aiming for it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Voyager I posted:

I like where they're going with the Quirks thing but it's so perfectly :pgi: to turn a vague, general rating system into some sort of spreadsheet towards balance nirvana. Apparently it's a hard rule that you get 1 quirk per tier rating while their strength is also linearly related to how crappy a robot is.

Yeah, this was my thought too. Quirks, and having a good idea of which robots are terrible/okay? Good. Insisting that each mech gets exactly the number and percentage based on an arbitrary rating system? Bad. See, giving a 25% range buff to a large laser is a big loving deal. Giving it to a small laser means poo poo all. 25% more damage to an AC20 is great, 25% more damage to an AC2 is retarded.

People are raising these concerns over on the brown sea, reddit, etc., and "Oh nonono this is just the first quirk pass." Right, you're going to follow up later, just like you did after the pulse laser "normalization," right?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

I have dropped half a dozen times this morning in this and it wrecks face despite being 'too slow'. First match ever, 2 kills 4 assists and 394 damage.

The best part about it? The really expensive thing about upgrading mechs is the engine! But I'm going to start leaving stock standards in because 64kph not only feels stompy but is plenty fast enough and it allows you to spend weight on guns and ammo and still be really drat tanky as long as you know your positioning/twisting.

I've run this thing since Beta: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=9&l=dc15573ae8d09ec18382807f268004607e4cc016

Never really felt like I needed the extra engine on it, honestly. Sure, the 250 and lately 275 on the 4P and 4SP are fun and zippy and all, but the 4H isn't about that. It's about stickin' around wit chya booye Atlas and backing him up if anyone tries to step. 45 points of alpha and a nearly 180 degree torso twist, many many people have underestimated it.

Sorta sad that the coming quirks are going to obsolete my build :| But overall it's a positive step, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

So I've never actually piloted a Shadowhawk except for the trial one, but I am considering dumping some (in-game) space bucks on them if this event sale thing gets up to a decent discount.

If you were going to buy 3 variants to master the chassis, which three would give the most variety in hardpoints/build options?

The SCR-D, SCR-C, and SCR-Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hav posted:

I fired this up the other night, mainly just to annoy Chomp. While the mech is powering up, it's reacting to my TrackIR. Is trackIR viable for this game, or am I just seeing the remnants of something cooler?

I don't have trackIR but word has it that the game fully supports it. Whether it's a good control scheme I have no idea though.

• Locked thread