Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I was pretty active during the open beta, had a lot of fun but had a subpar computer. Now I have a nice computer, but I'm glad to see that I won't need to spend my time shooting robbits because this game looks like it's worse than it was even then, and back then it was only starting to get bad.

I miss gooning with you goons but I don't have that much interest in starting up on a game that's well established unless it's for some prime time griefing.

Anyways, it's too bad this game still sucks because it would've been a lot of fun shooting some things with lasers on a computer that is nearly decent now. Maybe next time a beta game promises the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
So I have a modern computer now what can probably handle lights at full speed. Also a hangar full of lights and mediums. Are lights playable at all for those of us with the need for speed? Streak Jenners for harassment etc?

Y'all making me want to reinstall this bad game for the regoonion tour.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I used to have to use streaks because my computer sucked, it'll be nice dropping ten million srm4s into something accurately then disappearing into the bullshit. Ugh I can't believe I'm gonna play this dumb game with goons.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Is it possible to pack enough double HS on a suitably large clan mech to make it an alpha blaster gimmick robit that can one shot most anything and still wash ghost heat? Like, just fuckin' 4 CERPPCs or 4 gauss cannons or some dumb poo poo, glass cannon, but it has 30 DHS and can shrug off ghost heat?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
lol at this game. I have it installed, if I ever get a free moment again I am going to get killed in a Jenner so fast then ragequit after my stompy speed robot fix is fixed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It looks like KitFox goes slow as hell compared to Jenners is this true? Because I'd almost be tempted to play with a lovely clan robit just to see if I could make it gimmicky, but 95 km/h is just way too drat slow for a Light.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Should've made our unit tag SQOK

e: SQWK?

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 14, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
So it turns out I must've sold my cool Jenners for lovely robits when I had an older shittier computer that could barely Jenner. I have 1.2M cbills, and 7 robits. A stalker 3F and 5M, a cataphract 4X, hunches 4SP and 4P, and a Raven 3L. I understand almost all of those are garbage now except maybe the Stalkers since I can make them LRM boats. What should I sell to buy and reoutfit a glorious suicide SRM Jenner?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm pretty sure its engine came from my old Jenner, I recall running through light mechs just shuffling the engine around. I'm sure I have enough SRMs divided among them robots to outfit a Jenner, too. I just need to figure out the right incantations to move poo poo around between mechs.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Okay I should probably just play with what I have and grind out a million or so chills that's only what like 10 or 20 matches? I'll join you all tomorrow night but someone will need to PM me the mumble info since I have not had it on for a while. Did we ever get the overlay working well?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kazvall posted:

Having a human being raven narc and tag your targets.

I just happen to have a human being raven and need to grind cbills for a jenner. Someone PM me the old fleet info for the mumble so I can get up inz tonight as I try to stay up until 2AM since I work late tomorrow.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Don Gato posted:

Before I make a very bad life decision and reinstall, I have one import an question: Can the Highlander do a :krad::black101:HIGHLANDER BURIAL:black101::krad: and crush other mechs beneath my Highlander's 90 feet? Or are jump jets only useful for SICK NASTY NOSCOPE SNIPES like in every other loving MechWarrior?

Search your heart, you know the answer.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm in for this slosh op action tomorrow night.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
For some reason when I use mumble MWO says I have an incompatible video card.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kazvall posted:

Turn off overlay?w

Yeah I just remembered that, it's been a while and I remembered I had a problem but didn't remember what it was. That'll do.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
We've managed to sync drop a 7 and 5 man group twice so far, it's everything you'd hoped.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'd be happy to play WT as a casual "pop in for a few games the one evening a week I actually have time off" sort of thing. That could be fun. I'm down for that too.

I'm kind of ashamed to say that after last night managing to do an old school sync drop twice, I'm kinda excited about tonight's slosh op.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It was a sad thing logging back on and realizing my 24SRM rocket vomiting stalkers were not longer cool. =[

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

A.o.D. posted:

Romping around in a stormcrow packing 3x SSRM 6's and 2x SSRM4's can be fun so long as you remember to pack a tag and an active probe so that ecm doesn't render you useless. It makes for a very effective scout hunter, and if you can survive to the late match, can terrify big mechs too.

And someday when Stormcrows don't require me to spend actual human money I'll give that a shot. They are the coolest clan mech imo but all clans are poo poo and Ravens are still the best mech.

Actually I'm also toying with a laserboat firestarter that is just an upgraded XWing Jenner.

I miss the mechromancer tool, Hubis bring it back.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Are clan streaks good because I was under the impression normal streaks sucked now, and I ran face to face into a hilarious catapult build that was 6 SSRM2s and it shot me in a Jenner and basically painted me light yellow. Did they do that thing where streaks don't hit specific places they spread the damage all over in a dumb way?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Wow. Those are really gorgeous, and it would be great to play with those art assets in a setting that was as pretty and with a scale that works. As it is everything is 3x taller than it should be relative to foliage and also the game is unbalanced and bad.

That said I've had fun popping on for an hour or two every few days. Once you resign yourself to realizing the game will never be more than deathmatch robots against people who paid money that could've gone towards something more useful like coffee or food or a good game but who kinda suck at video games generally, it is tolerable. And it's especially fun when we group drop with goons and roll dudes who paid $500 for robots because teamwork is still OP.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I used to play on a Core2Duo (later a Core2Quad) and a GT430 card. The game was actually pretty playable until the DX11 "upgrade" dropped and made it so I couldn't play any robot that went faster than about 95kph without my framerate dropping to the single digits. Even my hunches were sometimes too fast. I have a bay full of stalkers because they were the only robot that moved slowly enough that my computer could handle it, and this definitely contributed to my quitting (along with the general goon exodus) because I like gofast light robots.

I have a decent computer now and that's another reason I think I'm having fun, is I can play lights for the first time and actually aim. I used to have to run streaks because without streaks I couldn't hit anything, period, due to the screen jumping around while I tracked people.

Anyways, I guess at some point they fixed the numerous, numerous CTD issues? Because I've only had one in the last probably 100 matches.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
At the time they had hosed it up but now it seems to be fixed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I usually quack, and make true and unopinionated factual statements about Hitler. I also tell everyone that has clan mechs that they're dumb, then double down on that when I kill them in a Jenner or Raven.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Dire wolf, stalker, catapults, and pure lrm boats remain like a flame to my spastic 150kph moth. Matching speed to a dire wolf from behind and just spamming lasers and missiles into its rear end in a cheap light is the total fulfillment of this game.

As an added bonus dire wolves get stranded super easily. What is their top speed like 45?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Feindfeuer posted:

Should be 54km/h according to sarna.net, so about as fast as well armed Atlas (that still carries less weapons compared to the Dire Wolf). What's probably almost more important in that situation is the torso twist speed and range, but that's MW:O specific but probably too low to counter light harassment.

Yeah I used to be afraid of DWs but now I only worry about them if they get the drop on me or I run out directly in front of them, which usually results in an insta-core.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I for one appreciate the gold mechs in the way I appreciate people wearing giant election pins for dudes I oppose politically. It sends a clear message, "I am a gigantic tool who makes poor life decisions." The bonus in MWO, however, is that it makes it that much easier as a light to decide who exactly I'm going to harass like so many swarms of gnats.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

I'm glad I did not incorrectly remember PGI's bullshit. I wonder what sort of drugs they were doing that led them to believe someone would purchase the 240$ bundle + a 500$ gold mech. I wonder if anyone did. (Someone probably loving did.)

And that guy that did? He's always the one you see and shoot the poo poo out of.

But yes they look orange in game it's super dumb, I didn't even know what it was originally.

I'm still a little miffed that all the color scheme options I had bought in 2012-2013 are no longer available. I only have the PC Gamer colors and options available anymore, and all my robots are green again.

Edit: my color scheme poo poo might have turned back into MC via a "mech customization refund" on February 5, is that a thing?

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 27, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I generally don't shoot blues even in clan mechs at this point. There are enough idiots on the other team and it is more fun to rub salt in their wounds when you just kill them naturally. Even if you lose the match you can be there in the void going "drat dude you had $500 on that robot how did I kill you I was in a Jenner, also Hitler was a male and really loved dogs."

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Anybody group dropping this lovely game tonight? I've got like an hour or two to play later tonight to just straight grind cbills.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
What balance issues? LRMs aren't OP, you just need to be more skilled at dodging homing missiles that strip armor.

Clan lasers aren't OP either I mean unlimited range, less heat, less weight, and more damage isn't that much of an advantage. Besides, clan tech is available to anyone who pays enough, and anyone is allowed to spend money in the game, so it's fine.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Clans still get to be OP, but not the ones that use lots of lasers. Like idk Novas or whatever. But I mean, spacepoors with no MC can buy those, so really who cares about such a bad robot?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Think of your livers. Won't anyone think of their livers?

I don't even drink :(

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Number19 posted:

I really enjoyed my drops on that map. I told the designer that I think it's pretty fun and a nice brawler map.

I actually also really like mech factory, once the invisible buildings appeared and once all the holes into infinite nowhere are fixed, it'll be dope for lights because there's lots of ways to break line of sight. I am of the "run in panicked circles and disappear behind the nearest available cover with no forethought or planning" school of light pilots, so this map is relevant to my interests.

As for UI 2.0, it had been long enough since I last played that all I remembered was that the UI required tons of unnecessary obnoxious steps to navigate, so when I encountered UI 2.0 it was just welcome to new UI, same as the old UI.

The ability to have two mechs up in the mech lab at once, or pull equipment off other mechs while looking at one mech, would make UI 2.0 "decent, at least," but without that it's "labyrinthine, at best." Rather than assume incompetence, I just attribute everything to malice, though. Like, "it's probably not that they didn't realize people might want to swap engines or modules quickly, rather, they realized that if they don't make it obnoxious enough, people will do that, so in order to get people to spend more money and make the c-bill grind completely arduous so that people are driven to buy MC, the UI is deliberately designed to make moving things between mechs completely aggravating in order to encourage people to just buy new mechs with cash instead of juggling a few."

For that reason, I see the task of retrofitting one engine between 3-4 light mechs as a sort of grueling form of sticking it to the man, like getting pepper sprayed at a communist rally. It's not productive because it doesn't hurt the aggressor, but it's symbolic peaceful resistance, just something I need to accept.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 29, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kazvall posted:

Slush cops tonight 8pmest.

I'm in might be late though. I have a Jenner-K I need to finish basicing before I can find out if I basic'd a Jenner-D or if I suck.

I can't tell what skills I have anymore in a lot of things since I am spacepoor and had to sell robots in the past. You can't tell what skills you have for robots after you sell them, of course, just like I no longer know if I can even drive Volvos since I got a Nissan.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Someone who actually knows this game's dynamics: do you actually have to own all three of a mech to elite something, or do you just have to have basic'd it in the past? I have 2 stalkers, both finished basic. Can I sell one and then finish eliting later, or do I need to own all three at a given time to get elite?

If it's the latter by the way that's bullshit.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
PGI managed to make me waste all my time and cbills since I had no way to check what loving robot I had skills in.

This is something they should address.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Had tons of fun last night despite the bullshit where I had to buy every Jenner to find out which one I hadn't basic'd. Good news is I will soon have lights mastered, which is good since modules are nice now.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah I've actually run my lunchback as well and as long as you keep it to 4 lasers at a time it's fine.

Ghost heat is terrible for a lot of reasons, but at least it makes the game slightly more nuanced than alpha strikes.

Except clan players who can spam alphas that core out lights and lesser mediums instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm down for tonight. Gotta finish eliting one, maybe 2 Jenners so I can have master poo poo.

• Locked thread