Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Black Wombat posted:

Between illness and an earthquake, I'm going to have to drop out. I am deeply shamed.

As you haven't used a late week, you'd be okay.

In your case - since an earthquake is involved (which counts as an act of God), if you get me your rough draft by the final check-in along with the evidence needed to claim a late week, I'll give you one more week to playtest and tweak, turning in a final copy Sunday, September 7th @ 11:59p CST.

Does this sound fair to everybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm totally okay with it, given the "act of God" bit and the fact that I'd really like to see a playable form of Black Wombat's game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

TheSoundNinja posted:

Does this sound fair to everybody?
I am also totally okay with that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

After a long day of slaving over the hot PDF exporter, here's my rough draft check-in!

Rough draft of the ruleset (no-frills printable PDF)
Google Docs verification of ruleset length in 12-point, single-spaced, no formatting/line-break TNR
Printable, no-frills PDF of Event Deck cards (you'll probably want to paste these on index cards or something, since they're kinda small -- or just use it as a card list and use the standard playing cards that match the symbols in the upper right-hand corner of the event cards)

For the bonus point, here's the expansion, Two Weeks' Notice, in printable PDF format. Two Weeks' Notice is a set of 10 "Catastrophe Cards," especially severe challenges that can be used with a standard MA deck. (You could theoretically play with them on their own, but it would be a short, terrible game.)

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 25, 2014

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Well, I haven't got a computer to make a PDF for the rough draft, so hopefully this'll do! Here is the most-recent rules sheet. I can't quite tell on my phone how long it is (google docs app doesn't show pages) but I'm fairly certain it's within the limit.

http://imgur.com/a/qp63t
Here's a link to the album with the few cards I've put together so far. Sorry it's not in one piece with the doc, but I haven't really had any time this weekend to work on it since I've been traveling out of the country. Not nearly as good of an excuse as an earthquake (seriously, holy poo poo I'm sorry and hope everything works out, I don't wanna see you drop from the contest either) but there it is. There'll definitely be more cards as I work on it and hammer out the final version. It's enough to get a rough play test done, at least!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Aww, that's very much appreciated! I'd like a chance to get it all together. I work for a company that deals a lot in house restoration, and the earthquake in California gave us a lot of work. I went from 'Sunday off' to '10-hour shift'.

I'll share the one thing I did get done - what does an RPG add-on need? That's right. Power creep. Enter the IOC Armory, optional rules for letting players use super-gadgets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0pwjphfn5v7qef/Equipment.doc?dl=0

I'm working on formatting the rough draft. Depending on work, I should have it in another day or two.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

And cut-off time is now.

...is what I would say if it wasn't 3a where I live.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Hey, I'm getting up early tomorrow. With my temporarily earned free-time, I'll be grading entries.

Remember: the Bonus Point missions for this week is get a menial job worker to playtest and playtest someone else's game.

By :airquote:menial job worker:airquote: I mean someone who works in the field the game is glorifying. For Plastic Cops, you'd need a security guard. For Trashmen of the Sierra Madre, you'd need a trash collector.

As you can see, this is the only week you can get more than one bonus point. Also, if you're stuck without a way to physically playtest, consider Roll20. It's intended for playing RPGs online, but it's easy to manually make a digital playtest copy using their hosting tools. I'm not sure if you need a paid account to host a game, but I know you only need a free account to play.

As a final addendum, provide some written summary or Audio/Video proof of your playtest. If you're playing someone else's game, consider getting a playtest of it done sooner rather than later. If you feel you need a playtest of your game to revise, consider playtesting more than one game (as in playtest yours earlier in the week, someone else's after that).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A couple questions about that:

1) How current does the menial job need to be?
2) How close to the job presented in the game does the job need to be?

I ask because my boyfriend is a former college security guard, and I used to work in animal-research labs, so I'm wondering if that's close enough to get bonus points if I playtest Plastic Cops or The Jungle.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

A couple questions about that:

1) How current does the menial job need to be?
2) How close to the job presented in the game does the job need to be?

I ask because my boyfriend is a former college security guard, and I used to work in animal-research labs, so I'm wondering if that's close enough to get bonus points if I playtest Plastic Cops or The Jungle.

If you can argue it, it's close enough for me.

Edit: I would prefer if they currently had the job, but I'm not going to punish participants for finding people who didn't want to continue working in these fields.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, I'm somehow coherent after waking up at 6a. Let's Party Down, Blindfold-Style! This week, I'm not posting points - just commentary. I'll be recording the points myself, and posting them after the final week's grading.

Due to the adjustments made to our time-frame to deal with California being The Devil™, I promise to get final grading done and posted here before September is up. I'll have a better feel for how much free time I'll have during the semester after classes start this week.

• Black Wombat - I like the feel of this expansion. For the final product, you should consider what kind of layout you want. Perhaps looking at memos from the Cryptology Museum would offer inspiration. ERROR points earned, Bonus Point achieved
  • Antivehicular - This is good, but you might want to consider player initiative. Currently, you haven't tested if having players respond freely to each Event Card will work best, or if you should have it turn-based. Either could work, but the Owed Favors mechanic does lend itself better toward turn-based or "claim a turn before the Event Card is revealed". Investigate! Also, consider making your final product look like an internal office document. Also also, you created CoporateKiller. Manager's Bane. X points, Bonus Point achieved
  • Codfish Cartographer - That's pretty well worded! The game makes much more sense, and looks to be fun. Your deck of Task Cards is coming along nicely, but consider changing the text size on the bottom portion (since you have the space). You might also want to look into making a character sheet - by making your own "skin" in Deckromancy, you can customize what your cards look like more fully. Also, consider your subject matter when it comes to the look of the final version: A butcher shop is going to use a simple to read font, and isn't going to care much about a neat appearance. Even some other being's blood could be on a couple of pages. X points achieved
  • AlphaDog - Possibly taking a late week. ERROR points achieved
  • Casnorf - Definitely taking a late week. ERROR points achieved

Can't wait to see the final results! Remember, unless I've granted you an exception, Late Week check-ins are due Wednesday @ 11:59p CST.

Edit: Oops, I forgot Casnorf.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 26, 2014

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

TheSoundNinja posted:

Edit: Oops, I forgot Casnorf.
That's okay. I sometimes forget me, too.

In other news, I've revised the rules a bit and completed the tile list, though I don't really know how to set up a printable version of a list of ninety tiles. Hopefully that oughta be enough for a rough draft, at least. How necessary is a specifically printable tile sheet for the final version?

Rules, now with quick picture of the Garbage Truck Board!

Tile List

And, since we live in that age, a Tile List for the Expansion.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Casnorf posted:

That's okay. I sometimes forget me, too.

In other news, I've revised the rules a bit and completed the tile list, though I don't really know how to set up a printable version of a list of ninety tiles. Hopefully that oughta be enough for a rough draft, at least. How necessary is a specifically printable tile sheet for the final version?

Rules, now with quick picture of the Garbage Truck Board!

Tile List

And, since we live in that age, a Tile List for the Expansion.

Casnorf, as this would fall under a Late Week, I also need evidence of you thanking someone working a menial job, or I can't accept this late check-in.

As for printing, as long as it looks neat, your good. Games like yours just need to be elegantly simple. Try nabbing a business card template for Word, and building two of your tiles on each card slot.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

TheSoundNinja posted:

Casnorf, as this would fall under a Late Week, I also need evidence of you thanking someone working a menial job, or I can't accept this late check-in.
This turned out to be harder than I thought! Call center peon should count.

What's really funny is that earlier I did legitimately thank my grocery delivery guy, but I had forgotten that requirement. Ah, it woulda been perfect, too. He was rad.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Casnorf posted:

This turned out to be harder than I thought! Call center peon should count.

What's really funny is that earlier I did legitimately thank my grocery delivery guy, but I had forgotten that requirement. Ah, it woulda been perfect, too. He was rad.

And you're good! You nabbed that hat just in time, Dr. Jones.

I'll grade ya tomorrow, as CSI: Miami and girlfriend's B-Day are continuing till we both pass out. In case I don't make it to the end of the contest, I probably didn't die. It's just a severe food coma brought on by IHOP and cake.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
I know this thread is for a competition but is there a general/megathread for game designers?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

ThaShaneTrain posted:

I know this thread is for a competition but is there a general/megathread for game designers?

Well, there are a few. Here's one just for Board Games, but there are others if you scroll down towards the Meeple-filled abyss...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hey, I'm sorry about this, but I have to drop out of the contest. I have ongoing mental health issues that are making it real hard to focus right now and will be for the next little while. I'm ok, it's not really a huge big deal in the scheme of things, but I really can't do any creative stuff or math right now - things are just not coming out well despite my best efforts.

Hopefully I'll eventually finish the game, and I'll post it when I do.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Hey, I'm sorry about this, but I have to drop out of the contest. I have ongoing mental health issues that are making it real hard to focus right now and will be for the next little while. I'm ok, it's not really a huge big deal in the scheme of things, but I really can't do any creative stuff or math right now - things are just not coming out well despite my best efforts.

Hopefully I'll eventually finish the game, and I'll post it when I do.

I'm sorry to hear that! Take care of yourself and be well. I look forward to seeing Plastic Cops when you finish it!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

So, how are the final wrap-ups going?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I managed a brief playtest of The Jungle tonight; we might try for more tomorrow night, or we might try to move on to playtesting my own game. Jungle played pretty well, although there was some mechanical confusion; one player recommended an initiative system to clarify order of player action, which I'm probably going to add to MA even if we don't get around to playtesting.

Is anyone playtesting MA, by any chance, or am I going to have to strong-arm some people into playing my game tomorrow night?

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
So, things have not gotten smoother for me over the course of this week.

I will probably revisit The Big Clean sometime, but it just isn't in the cards this month. Sorry peeps.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

So, things have not gotten smoother for me over the course of this week.

I will probably revisit The Big Clean sometime, but it just isn't in the cards this month. Sorry peeps.

Sorry to hear that; I love the concept of your game and would love to see a finished product, but for now, it sounds like you've got a ton on your plate. Good luck with everything!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Man, we might end up with a reenactment of Highlander I with this contest.

On that note, :siren: only 36 hours :siren: remain before the final Check-in!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This is really dumb, but does anyone have any advice about creating a printable card sheet in Deckromancy? I'm starting to turn my rough-draft cards into something that actually looks aesthetically decent, but it looks like the program saves each card as its own image file; am I going to have to just paste them into a document?

EDIT: Another stupid question -- do character sheets count as a part of the ruleset for word count purposes, or can I throw a page of charsheet at the end of my final document without worrying about it?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 31, 2014

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

This is really dumb, but does anyone have any advice about creating a printable card sheet in Deckromancy? I'm starting to turn my rough-draft cards into something that actually looks aesthetically decent, but it looks like the program saves each card as its own image file; am I going to have to just paste them into a document?

EDIT: Another stupid question -- do character sheets count as a part of the ruleset for word count purposes, or can I throw a page of charsheet at the end of my final document without worrying about it?

Well, I would put 9 of them in a 3x3 arrangement on pages in a word document. You might want to send the images to someone and ask if they could do it.

As for character sheet, you should be fine. Try putting just the text of the character sheet in the length check. If it still gives you trouble, we can talk about it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

TheSoundNinja posted:

Well, I would put 9 of them in a 3x3 arrangement on pages in a word document. You might want to send the images to someone and ask if they could do it.

As for character sheet, you should be fine. Try putting just the text of the character sheet in the length check. If it still gives you trouble, we can talk about it.

Okay, I can do a 3x3 sheet in Word. I just wanted to make sure that was the preferred method and that I wasn't missing an actual function of the program to create sheets.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Okay, I can do a 3x3 sheet in Word. I just wanted to make sure that was the preferred method and that I wasn't missing an actual function of the program to create sheets.

What I'd normally recommend is an Adobe Creative Suite program or two, but that requires $700 for a year's worth of access, so gently caress that.

Edit: Also, not a dumb question. Until I figured it out, I had no idea myself.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Pulling it out 3 minutes early:

You have only :siren: 24 Hours Remaining :siren: until the contest is over! Due to AlphaDog and Black Wombat dropping out, everyone is on pretty drat even footing.

Stick it out, and we might have an upset on our hands! To make it easier for people who may not be able to playtest, I'm making one final rules change:

Instead of requiring a playtest, I will allow you to lose a bonus point instead of playtesting. If you have no time, it could make a difference. I need to warn you, playtesting is in your best interest, as it will show you what is potentially broken or needing tweaking in your rough draft.

I will have all of the judging done by the end of Labor Day. Work hard and may you have what I believe they call :airquote:luck:airquote:.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

The Trashmen of the Sierra Madre

Given that I couldn't easily do non-infringing art for ninety tiles quickly, I'm really happy with how this turned out. I'm afraid I didn't have time to look into anyone else's games very deeply, though, but now that I probably don't have to worry about this one I think I'm going to.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I didn't manage to make this look like an internal office document, but I did cover the drat thing in clip art, which is halfway there:

Managing Armageddon Rules
(Google Docs file to demonstrate length of ruleset)
Managing Armageddon Event Deck

Playtest logs will be up as soon as I can format the raw IRC dump a bit.

EDIT:
Brief playtest log of The Jungle (if it counts for the double Bonus Point, I used to work in a couple of animal-testing labs, and the "encourage, then try to figure out what the hell" play cycle of Jungle felt pretty familiar)

Playtest log of Managing Armageddon (possible other double Bonus note: while he wasn't able to play MA long, FlashNeko is an office drone!)

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 1, 2014

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks everybody for play testing The Jungle! Unfortunately, I didn't even get to do so myself; this has been an absurdly busy week for me, and I couldn't even convince any of my friends to compile the Task cards into a word doc for me, let alone come over for a play test. I've updated the rules a bit for better player turn order but that's the only change I've made. I'd wanted to add a character sheet, but the google docs app doesn't show any way to tell page breaks so I'd have no idea how to edit it down. Considering that, I'm pretty certain it's still under the limit. I know you mentioned I could PM you about working stuff out, but I haven't checked the thread in a few days and frankly I'm already a bit late on this turn in. I probably could have managed my time better to work something more out, but I didn't.

Here's the list of task cards, I couldn't figure out any way to make custom skins using the phone app alone, unfortunately. http://imgur.com/a/IHsUC

Once I get a new computer setup and working, I'll most definitely be prettying everything up to look decent. Since I can't really do that now, though, this'll be my final version for the contest.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 1, 2014

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

I apologize for the delay in posting the winner, but the semester is crazy this time around for me. I've graded everyone and will announce a winner, but it may not be until Friday that I can post anything.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

No prob, man; take your time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's cool, builds more suspense this way!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You're good. A small delay forces me to start in on my next game which I've spent a month not thinking about. It's nice to be focused for a bit.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Hey, you there! What year is it?

2014? Are you sure?

Great Scott! I haven't missed my chance to post the results of the August TGD Contest within a timely fashion!

So, as I pass out so I can get up at 6a and do this school thing again, let me end the suspense. I don't have point totals to show for this final stage, as I think they aren't needed at this point.

First, while I'm glad that Codfish finished his game, I can't let him compete for the first place prize. This was the one deadline that I couldn't be flexible on, and we already let him use his late week to get into the competition. That being said, allow me to announce that Codfish Cartographer has come in Third Place! Congrats on showing Skynet that you won't be stopped from finishing what you start.

That just leaves two: Casnorf and Antivehicular. On one hand, we have a Cheapass style tile shifting game about trash collectors, and on the other hand we have a game that is a cross between Office Space and Shawn of the Dead.

They ended up all but tied. Both had thought out rules, both had a visual scheme they used in their presentation, but only one got that last elusive point.

I'm giving the $30 Drivethrurpg gift certificate to... Antivehicular!

The edge that got the winning point was taking a risk and having it pay off. Trying to frankenstine a game out of bits and pieces of other games can be hard, and often can fail. The fact that you gambled and it worked deserves some recognition, so the prize goes to you.

However! Finalists, I have a question to ask you. See, I'm the former president of our gamer's club at the university that I attend. One of the things I've been trying to do is build up a games library to keep at the school after we graduate as a legacy of sorts.

As a finalist's prize, would you be willing to allow us to print a copy of your games as a donation to the CTX Gamer's Society's Games Library? It does include a handwritten note and phone call of thanks from our university's department of donor relations, as well as a tax receipt based on the value of your game.

Speaking of value, you three should definitely consider putting these up on Drivethrurpg! I'd love to have more games to spend my pay on, as soon as you feel they are visually ready for people to print them (best of luck with a new computer, Codfish).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Congrats on first place, Antivehicular! You definitely deserve it. This was the first TGD contest I've taken part in, and it was a ton of fun even if everything kinda wound up exploding!

You absolutely have my permission to use my game if you'd like. I should have a new computer very soon, and I'm planning to fancy some stuff up with The Jungle so it's much more pleasant. I hadn't even considered putting the thing up for sale, but that's actually a pretty good idea! I'll work hard to get it polished up, then let you guys know when it's available.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thank you so much! Do you need an email or anything for the DriveThru cert? (I've been meaning to get plat anyway, so I could just buy it and PM you.)

You're welcome to print and archive MA, definitely. I'd want to clean it up more before throwing it on DriveThru (probably at least get some proper graphic design done instead of "what can I do with OpenOffice, a free typewriter font, and clip art?"), but if you think it's reasonable to print as stands, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Congratulations, Antivehicular!

Take, archive, maybe even play my little game, absolutely. I can't decide whether it's worthwhile to give it art or anything. The jokes change a little if they're visual.

• Locked thread