Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Blurb posted:

You see us every day without registering our presence. But we're watching you. We're watching everyone.

Just in case.

All the cold war security and surveillance was just a smokescreen for what was really going on. See, in the late '40s, governments around the world noticed that there were people shaped things wandering around that weren't exactly people. Soon there was more surveillance, more security checks, and it got a lot harder for people to move from country to country.

The... things... went away some time in the late '80s. The people in charge knew they'd return though, and that's where we come in.

What, you thought you'd be chasing down shoplifters or something? Didn't you ever ask why a suburban shopping mall needs so many well-equipped guards? Don't look at the door like that, it's far too late for you to just quit and go home...

Here's your laminated badge. Try to look like you're trying not to fall asleep on the job.

Plastic Cops: Defenders of the Earth.

A game about undercover alien hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheSoundNinja posted:

AlphaDog - You made me think of an episode of Doctor Who with your game's name. I'm liking the description, it has a Delta Green meets Paul Blart - Mall Cop kind of feel.

It's actually from the most memorable insult I received when I was a pub bouncer and part time security guard. Some dickhead I wouldn't let in ended up standing in the rain for about half an hour just outside where he'd be tresspassing (but dry), telling me "I'll gently caress you up, all you are is a plastic cop with a plastic badge and all you can do is stand there".

It was true. My badge was plastic. Unless he moved on to the pub's property, all I could do was stand there.

Being dry.

I figured he was an alien. He beamed back up eventually. Or wandered off. Or something.

Actually, a lot of my... clients... clearly beamed down directly into situations where either a) they'd get in the way of a punch meant for someone who'd actually done something to the punch-thrower but they were honestly just standing there honest or b) they'd look very much like the guy responsible for the fresh pile of vomit next to them without having vomited, knowing why vomit's on their shirt, or even knowing what vomit is.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 8, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

To clarify, the written portion of the rules needs to fit on a single letter sized sheet of paper, right? Both sides? So, 2 pages of single-spaced Times New Roman?

If I wanted to write a brief description of The Organisation (or whatever) is that going to count as rules text?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ted had been trying to trail the funny-looking kid through Sportswear, but had lost him when he stepped behind a rack of baseball gear... and didn't step out again. This sure as heck wasn't a shoplifter, this was real work. His earpiece made the distinctive dit-dit-dit that meant one of his colleagues was having similar problems. He hoped it wasn't Dave. Dave was a twitchy idiot that was as likely to "accidentally" assault some poor kid as he was to push the Panic Button without being sure.

Ted thought he saw something moving quickly out of the corner of his eye, and spun to get a better look - just as something dropped on his back and knocked him to the floor. He rolled as he fell, trying to at least get an arm into a position to defend himself, but the thing on top of him was fast. He bucked under it - it was surprisingly light - rolled, and crashed into a display of athletic socks just as his earpiece squawked the single continuous tone that meant someone had pressed the Panic Button. Ten minutes to apprehend the "shoplifters" before the Janitor sanitised the site. He tore off the earpieice. It would be useless soon anyway.

Yeah, there was the confirming announcement: "Clean up in aisle 10" from the centre's speakers. Then "Paging Mr. Green" as the speakers crackled and died, so at least the armoury doors were open. "Well, poo poo" thought Ted. One thing was for sure: with the display on top of him and at least two of the sneaky bastards nearby, he was going to miss his check-in.

Yeah, I'm going to miss my check in, unless this counts - some of the mechanics are sort of hinted at above, I guess.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 11, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheSoundNinja posted:

Unless you can now write an explanation of the mechanics, no. Just get it in by Wednesday.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm not gonna claim a late week because "I went drinking instead" isn't any sort of reasonable excuse, and there's no way I'll have anything actually together enough to show by Wednesday anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheSoundNinja posted:

[*]AlphaDog: Having discussed this week's entry via PM and reading it again, I'm postponing on scoring them until I can get a little clarification on terms. I do like what was submitted as an example of fluff, and have a challenge for them: If you can come up with a way to involve the term :quote:Check-in:quote: into the game as an actual game term, I'll give them something special. Don't rush, you have up till the end of the contest to come up with something if you choose to do so. I can give you your bonus point now, however. Error Loading Score, Please contact Mr. Green at ex. 1-2-7 for assistance
[/list]

OK here goes.

PCs have 3 stats. These are tracked on... tracks. The tracks are Robust<>Wobbly, Alert<>Bored, and Patient<>Angry.

The game is played on a board representing the Venue (pub, department store, etc). Someone (probably the GM) will need to draw this or something. If I get time, I'll make interlocking tiles.

You move 3* squares +/- your Robust<>Wobbly track.

All checks are resolved on 1d6. You add/subtract the number on your relevant stat and subtract/add the NPC/monster's relevant track and try to get 3+*.

The goal in stage 1 is to go up to "suspicious patrons" and check to see if they're aliens. If they are, you need to peacefully detain them. Or they might eat you. If they're not, they might get pissed off and reduce your Patient, or you might get pissed off and reduce your Alert.

The GM during that stage might try to position an alien to eat your PC.

If a character would get to the bottom space on the Patient<>Angry track, they automatically press the Panic Button. The Panic Button is also pressed if a character is eaten during stage 1.

When the panic button is pressed, stage 1 ends and stage 2 begins.

In Stage 2, you have 10 rounds (10 minutes) to kill/detain all the remaining aliens. If you don't, the JANITOR will sanitise the site (the automatic defense system will release the nerve gas or radiation or whatever, pacifying everything in the Venue. Whether it kills you or not, you're out of a job now). The only way to avoid this is to kill every last alien and then check in** with the JANITOR*** (with a retina scan, it needs to make sure you're you).

"Clean up in aisle X" is the 10 / 5 / 1 minute warning. There will be different global effects at each cleanup number.

Extras for Stage 2:
-- If you can make it to the armory (only open in stage 2), you can get some weapons and stuff.
-- You lose points for each patron that doesn't make it out. If you were playing a campaign (why?) these points would mean better/worse future jobs.

Aliens can hurt each of your stats in different ways, which does a different thing (-robust will make you move slow, -alert will leave you open to ambush and -patient will affect your shooting).

There might be character generation or there might be premades, but chances are that characters will be mechanically similar (like security guards). Would premade characters count towards the rules-text limit?

*Number subject to change as I do actual math.
**This was what I meant by check-in in my earlier post - it was already in the notes.
***It's spelled like that in the Employee Handbook. They don't tell you what it stands for. You probably don't need to know.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 12, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Inspired somewhat by the D&D boardgames (because I was thinking bout interlocking tiles, I'm going GMless with this game. Probably. I mean, if it tests out OK. If I can work it out.

I think I have a solid idea, but I'm doing that doubt thing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kinda slow. I changed direction a little bit earlier in the week because things just weren't very coherent. I'll be able to show some stuff tonight or tomorrow, but not as much as I'd hoped.

My email is alphadogSA at gmail.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This is my check-in. I won't be making a piece of fan-media for anyone else.

Components
Something with which to generate a random-ish map (this is to come, it's giving me trouble).
A set of counters representing the heroic Defenders of the EarthTM.
A set of double sided counters representing Patrons of the Venue (side 1) and Aliens/Victims (side 2).
Two counters representing the JANITOR and the armory (this might be a map tile if I use tiles)
Cards for patrons, cards for aliens
2-sided security badges for the heroic Defenders of the EarthTM.
"Cleanup in Aisle X" tracker.
Some paperlcips
2d6.

Game setup
Everyone takes a security badge
A map is randomly generated (somehow...)
Players place their counters near the JANITOR or near a venue entrance/exit.
Place the patron/enemy/victim tokens PATRON side up in random-ish places (with tiles, it'll be a mark on the tile)

Gameplay

Stage 1
Players approach Patron token, and test Alert vs patron's Sneaky to see if they "spot an alien".
If they do, test Robust vs Aggressive OR Patient vs Connected. If they pass, they reduce the opponent's stat. If they fail, reduce their stat OR their Alert. **
Track your stats with paperclips on the side of your security badge.
If a stat would be reduced to zero, the Panic Button is pressed.
When the Panic Button is pressed, goto "transition".

Transition
Players turn their security badges over, transforming from humble security guards into the heroic Defenders of the EarthTM. (Their stats carry over - see the badge below)
All patron tokens are turned over, becoming ALIEN or VICTIM tokens.

Stage 2
VICTIMS once per turn move slowly towards an exit.
ALIENS move towards nearest VICTIM or Player and shoot at them.
Tick down "Cleanup in aisle X" at start of each turn. If it reaches zero, game over.
Players may get GUNS from the armoury.
Players without GUNS must approach aliens, and test Steady or Brave against aliens Dangerous (try to take them to zero)
Players with guns may shoot aliens up to X squares away, testing Steady vs aliens Healthy (try to take them to zero)
Aliens shoot at (nearest) Players and VICTIMS up to X squares away, testing Dangerous vs Healthy etc etc.

Winning
Players must kill/subdue all aliens and then at least one player must reach the JANITOR before Cleanup In Aisle Zero.

** I'm still figuring out the numbers and resolution, but it's going to be a roll of 1d6 or 2d6 compared to... something.

Here's the badge mockup. You fold it in half to make it 2-sided: (edit: it won't attach, apparently. I'll use imgur).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 17, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheSoundNinja posted:

I'm confused by the repetition of X as a variable. As the Clean-up timer ticks down, are you saying the range on guns also goes down?

I get why that was confusing.

X is just a placeholder for "A figure goes here. I have done no math yet, so I don't know what it is." It's not always the same figure.

TheSoundNinja posted:

Also, what's the one job you'd never work and why? Mine's working at a restaurant. Somewhere between Fight Club and hearing horror stories from people who worked at a Whataburger near where I lived in high school, it's taken on a sort of "the only thing left is to die in a gutter" vibe. Oddly enough, I'm a sample guy at a grocery store, so I know it's not the food safety stuff. Was my fear unfounded?

Pub Security (again). It was my first "real" job out of high school, and the interview went like this:

"How tall are ya?"

"6 foot 2"

"Can ya handle yerself?" (Aussie slang maybe? Translates to "can you fight")

"Yeah"

"Do you have any convictions for assault?"

"Nah"

"When do ya wanna start?"

loving seriously, that was it. The next night I had a plastic badge and a door to stand at. My training went like this:

"Don't let anyone in if they don't have ID, ok?"

"Yeah"

"OK then, I'm going for a piss, back in 5."

Other bouncers were mostly ok. Customers and wages were total poo poo. Bartenders got paid more than us.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm about to go do 3ish hours of continuous jiu jitsu rounds to help/celebrate my friends grading up. Everyone I fight will (by definition) be better than me. The compensation is supposed to be that they're much much more tired than me, but I just spent 3 hours concreting without the aid of a cement mixer (which is a lovely job that I never want to do again, but would make a boring game).

So I'm gonna be loving tired and sore tomorrow, which should be a reasonable excuse to get some writing done for PC:DOTE (I have worked out my resolution system, it's "roll 2d6 <+/- modifier>, get a 7+").

Edit: My wife was going to help me with some art, but she's become seriously busy. So I might not have any actual game art. I'm planning to include printable counters, but they might end up with generic clipart or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hey, I'm sorry about this, but I have to drop out of the contest. I have ongoing mental health issues that are making it real hard to focus right now and will be for the next little while. I'm ok, it's not really a huge big deal in the scheme of things, but I really can't do any creative stuff or math right now - things are just not coming out well despite my best efforts.

Hopefully I'll eventually finish the game, and I'll post it when I do.

• Locked thread