Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Today, on my Note 2, I noticed a noise, and a half-second eyeball icon next to the time, that then vanished. Obviously, this is not right. I dig, and it appears someone has surreptitiously installed this Androspy (androspy.org) on my phone. Here's the deal, though, they claim it's for parents and such. Well, I'm an unemployed (not my boss, then, since I live off a trust,) 28 year old, and no one has access to my phone but I. This seems quite odd, since they say you need physical access. I emailed their tech support, and I know no one likes reading emails, but look at these people's gall, first response contains a gently caress YOU, and got this in reply:

quote:

support@androspy.org <support@androspy.org>
1:15 PM (1 hour ago)

to me

These are not the kindest words to write a complain about something. But:
1. That you are unemployed is just your private problem
2. If you find the app on your phone it means that someone installed it there so first think about it who it was
3. The app is totally legal so you can address your letters to anyone who you want
4. Read the terms and conditions section
And finally 5. gently caress YOU

Professionalism. So, I write them back, telling them I will be speaking to a lawyer and get:

quote:

support@androspy.org
2:23 PM (16 minutes ago)

to me

Than the responsibility is on your boss.

Disclaimer
We clearly notify that it is the responsibility of client to fully read and understand the terms and conditions attached to the purchase of Androspy. We will not be liable if after purchase Androspy is not compatible with the features of your device or does not fulfill your requirements.
We will not be liable to pay you any amount back in case of your inability to claim refund within the specified period.
There are no warranties attached to Androspy. We don’t claim our Androspy to be 100 percent error-free. We stand indemnified in case of any damage caused to your device or any loss of data due to use of Androspy.
Law structure of your country may not allow using Androspy for monitoring anyone’s device without prior written concern of that person. It is sole responsibility of the client to comply with the legal requirements of his/her country regarding use of Androspy and obtain written consents of parties being monitored.
Androspy is only to help parents monitor their minor children but with prior knowledge of Androspy being installed on their device.
Androspy helps employers monitor performance and activities of their employees but no such information collected should be misused. We assume that you acknowledge the fact that Androspy will not be used for espionage or stalking any employee or competitor.
Androspy should only be used for legal and legitimate purpose. In case of any misuse we will not be liable and will be bound to provide any kind of help and information to the legal authorities.

I'm going to speak to my lawyer about it, since they collect monthly fees from ~whomever~ has basically rooted my phone, but what gives here? Anyone have any idea?

Obviously I yanked the battery after my CS degree assburgers buddy yanked anything that looked interesting on the phone, and am saving it as-is, so we can see more of what's up, but come on, what the gently caress? There isn't a person I can think of that would want to spy on me in this way. I work(ed) in medicine. Any clever ideas on diagnostics or, well, anything? This phone will never be used by me again, but anyone have any clue how to poke a stick at it

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I'm curious as to what you actually said in the first email.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Obviously this is a state actor. I'd probably travel to southeast Asia under an assumed name at this point.

What are you asking here, exactly? Like what's the point of the thread or the question you need answered?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Your phone has been compromised by the NSA. This is no cause for alarm.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
Why would you completely abandon the phone? Doesn't reset to factory settings work? Or completely wiping and reapplying a vendor rom?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm curious as to what you actually said in the first email.

It was a web form. I was irate, but it's not like I was cursing at them.

LastInLine posted:

What are you asking here, exactly? Like what's the point of the thread or the question you need answered?

For any ideas on seeing what files I may be able to snoop to see who's behind this. I know what I'm doing, but more knowledge before I lawyer up is never bad.

Xenthalon posted:

Why would you completely abandon the phone? Doesn't reset to factory settings work? Or completely wiping and reapplying a vendor rom?

Because that phone could be called evidence. See, this androspy takes monthly payments for their service. Meaning whomever perpetuated this felony on me, was assisted by that company. I'm talking to my lawyer in the next few days, so if I wiped the phone, I'd have no evidence. I'm going to sue the poo poo out of someone if I can. Obviously the company changed their tune within 3 emails, from gently caress U [literally] to sending me their disclaimer, as if that means jackshit to me. They're afraid that they've hosed up already, which makes me happy.

And keep in mind, I'm a dual citizen, US/Panama. I'm talking to my Panamanian lawyer, too. These androspy fucks are letting someone commit a felony, in their name, on a dual citizen. If I have a chance of winning, I'll file suit in both countries.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 24, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't know what SpyOnMen :eyepop: is about, but if they have a bunch of admin access on your phone you probably don't want to turn it on. If they realise there's trouble it's possible they could just remote wipe your phone, so you probably want to make sure the sim card is out and it never connects to wifi, until you've done your CSI bit anyway

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

baka kaba posted:

I don't know what SpyOnMen :eyepop: is about, but if they have a bunch of admin access on your phone you probably don't want to turn it on. If they realise there's trouble it's possible they could just remote wipe your phone, so you probably want to make sure the sim card is out and it never connects to wifi, until you've done your CSI bit anyway

We've yanked the pertinent info off the phone, and took the sim and battery out. Past that, it's now evidence; no battery, in a box. I have to see my (US) lawyer anyway soon so we'll see what kind of case I have.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Are you sure it wasn't your mom or dad? They may just be trying to look out for you if so!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

can you keep us updated? I;m curious to see how this unfolds.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

Are you sure it wasn't your mom or dad? They may just be trying to look out for you if so!

I'm loving 28. My father or mother have never even touched the phone, much less use this, I have no boss to snoop me (trust fund lolz.) That and: no reason to. My father was aghast, keep in mind he's a MD, mother a Pharm-D, and me an EMT. Medicine. This intusion makes mevery mad, and I have a good-rear end, internationally working, lawyer

I don't know why, but someone's committing a huge falony wiretapping me, and the company is culpable since it goes through their servers and the felon pays monthly fee to them. I'm uing the gently caress out of SOMEONE here.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Method Loser posted:

For any ideas on seeing what files I may be able to snoop to see who's behind this. I know what I'm doing, but more knowledge before I lawyer up is never bad.

Method Loser posted:

We've yanked the pertinent info off the phone, and took the sim and battery out. Past that, it's now evidence; no battery, in a box. I have to see my (US) lawyer anyway soon so we'll see what kind of case I have.
The answer is that with the phone off you can snoop none of the files.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

LastInLine posted:

The answer is that with the phone off you can snoop none of the files.

The phone was cloned onto a computer (what I meant by pertinent files--- ALL of them,) then had its' battery removed. I have access to all the files that were on it, but this AndroSpy hides pretty loving well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd say maybe it's a friend playing a prank, but you seem like you probably don't have many of those.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Install the app on another phone and see.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I'd say maybe it's a friend playing a prank, but you seem like you probably don't have many of those.

I have a few friends, but I prefer a few close-knit to half-knowing a hundred people. None of my friends would do this, and were aghast and got paranoid about their poo poo when I told them what is up. Either way, if there's a legal way, I'm suing the unholy gently caress out of that company, and during subpoenas I will find out who the mystery man is. He gets a lawsuit too; this is felony wiretapping as far as I can see (IANAL)

LastInLine posted:

Install the app on another phone and see.

Completely hidden, there's no 'app' in the conventional nature. Honestly, I have no idea who put it there, what it looks like, nothing, since it also makes downloading diag tools error out trying to get them off the play store. Since the company charges the snoopy felon an amount per month, so they're complicit in this crime, and have all his info, which I (or the police) will get. They take wiretapping/wire fraud srs

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 25, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Did you buy the phone new or used?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Bob A Feet posted:

Did you buy the phone new or used?

New, ~18 months ago maybe? Soon before the Note 3 came out

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Method Loser posted:

Completely hidden, there's no 'app' in the conventional nature. Honestly, I have no idea who put it there, what it looks like, nothing, since it also makes downloading diag tools error out trying to get them off the play store.
There is an app, you just don't know how to find it.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

LastInLine posted:

There is an app, you just don't know how to find it.

Hence the 'conventional nature' bit. Really, if it ha this, it could have other rookit like things on it too. Besides, like I aid, this is evidence; talking to my lawyer wasn't a bluff. I'm jut buying a new phone.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
You seem slightly insane. I would guess any significant other ever if parents are out. This thread is awesome.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Not an Anthem posted:

You seem slightly insane. I would guess any significant other ever if parents are out. This thread is awesome.

Significant other lives states away and hasn't even touched the phone since I bought it. Also, she'd never do it, we allow each other to gently caress other people if wanted (lol open relationship,) even though neither of us actually does gently caress other people. We're engaged, she's not with me because she's having ti care for her dying grandfather,
I may be slightly insane, but thsi IS felony wiretapping.

Anyone have any theories as to what or who may have done this> I can guarantee it wasn't anyone in my family, my fiancee, or my nonexistent boss

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 25, 2014

0zxy
Mar 21, 2011

Not an Anthem posted:

I completely agree. Unemployed man-child with a trust fund incurs slight annoyance because (in order of likelihood) himself, his friends, or his family installed malware on his device, probably unintentionally, and wants to sue the gently caress out of everyone involved. :cmon: It sounds too much like a bad episode of a teenage drama.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

0zxy posted:

wants to sue the gently caress out of everyone involved.

loving right; I don't take invasions of my privacy lightly. Like I said, I have to see my lawyer for some misdemeanor bullshit anyway later this week, he'll love this. So will my Panamanian attorney, since I'm a dual citizen, I can come at it from that angle, too.

And, yes, genius, I installed a Androspy, on my own phone. And pay the monthly fee. Idiot.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 25, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Method Loser posted:

I installed a Androspy, on my own phone. And pay the monthly fee. Idiot.
You're supposed to mark the thread 'Solved' when you get the right answer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Method Loser posted:

Also, she'd never do it, we allow each other to gently caress other people if wanted (lol open relationship,) even though neither of us actually does gently caress other people.

What's the combined weight of your girlfriend and you?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bet some lovely game you pirated instead of paying $1 for included malware in the package. But don't worry, you probably just have months of data sent to Chinese hackers.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Method Loser posted:

loving right; I don't take invasions of my privacy lightly. Like I said, I have to see my lawyer for some misdemeanor bullshit anyway later this week, he'll love this. So will my Panamanian attorney, since I'm a dual citizen, I can come at it from that angle, too.

And, yes, genius, I installed a Androspy, on my own phone. And pay the monthly fee. Idiot.

You'er cool.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Method Loser posted:

I can guarantee it wasn't anyone in my family, my fiancee, or my nonexistent boss

I eagerly await the follow up E/N thread

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Whoa I was sent here by a thread I read but am not allowed to post in (long story, but it involves something similar to this situation you're in (both cucking and spyware)) and having been through this I can give you this advice:

1. immediately confront your girlfriend about her other partners and get a full list
2. cross check that list against all the popular cucking websites online for similar stories, these guys play this game all the time
3. alert your trustee immediately and give him full details of your cucking experiences and the resulting security breach, the trustee needs to be able to lock this poo poo down
4. check all your other electronic devises, this isn't an isolated incident (land phones too)

I can guarantee this is a result of your participation in the cucking community. It's loving sad that someone else's jealousy and lack of maturity can lead to this type of situation where you're the one who has to deal with the fallout, but stay strong cuck-bro.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Lol wtf is your Panamanian lawyer gonna do? You live in the US right? You do realise that the US does not officially recognise dual nationality and your rights as a Panamanian citizen mean exactly gently caress all in the US.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Whoa I was sent here by a thread I read but am not allowed to post in (long story, but it involves something similar to this situation you're in (both cucking and spyware)) and having been through this I can give you this advice:

loving lol :rolleye:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Serious Question:

Have you ever rooted your phone OR installed any app through any means besides the google play store?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the combined weight of your girlfriend and you?

Less than 300lbs.

Endless Mike posted:

I bet some lovely game you pirated instead of paying $1 for included malware in the package. But don't worry, you probably just have months of data sent to Chinese hackers.

I don't download games.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

1. immediately confront your girlfriend about her other partners and get a full list
2. cross check that list against all the popular cucking websites online for similar stories, these guys play this game all the time
3. alert your trustee immediately and give him full details of your cucking experiences and the resulting security breach, the trustee needs to be able to lock this poo poo down
4. check all your other electronic devises, this isn't an isolated incident (land phones too)

I can guarantee this is a result of your participation in the cucking community. It's loving sad that someone else's jealousy and lack of maturity can lead to this type of situation where you're the one who has to deal with the fallout, but stay strong cuck-bro.

What? Cucking community? I don't even know if that's a thing. We're not swingers, for gently caress's sake, and don't belong to any group related to anything like that. We're just both bi and I can't supply her a pussy, nor her supply me a cock. After 5 years, neither of ua has ever felt the urge to gently caress anyone other than eachother, alone. We have doubleteamed people, but that was years ago., we just 9 That being aid, there is no physical way she could be behind this. Sorry, armchair detectives, you'll have to believe me. Besides, she's an artist and borderline computer luddite.

s

corn in the fridge posted:

Lol wtf is your Panamanian lawyer gonna do? You live in the US right? You do realise that the US does not officially recognise dual nationality and your rights as a Panamanian citizen mean exactly gently caress all in the US.

Being unclear personally on the laws, as I doubt you know any more than me, we'll see. You never know what foreign countries laws might exist, and yes, you can indeed sue US entities as a citizen of another country, dude.

RZA Encryption posted:

Serious Question:

Have you ever rooted your phone OR installed any app through any means besides the google play store?

No.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 25, 2014

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Method Loser posted:

Being unclear personally on the laws, as I doubt you know any more than me, we'll see. You never know what foreign countries laws might exist, and yes, you can indeed sue US entities as a citizen of another country, dude.

You don't understand. The laws of Panama are not applicable to you in the US because you are a US citizen. You cannot sue US entities as a Panamanian citizen because you are a US citizen. You may not enter the US as a Panamanian citizen, you cannot leave the US as a Panamanian citizen. As far as the US is concerned, because you are a US citizen, you are only a US citizen.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Method Loser posted:

What? Cucking community? I don't even know if that's a thing. We're not swingers, for gently caress's sake, and don't belong to any group related to anything like that. We're just both bi and I can't supply her a pussy, nor her supply me a cock. After 5 years, neither of ua has ever felt the urge to gently caress anyone other than eachother, alone. We have doubleteamed people, but that was years ago., we just 9 That being aid, there is no physical way she could be behind this. Sorry, armchair detectives, you'll have to believe me. Besides, she's an artist and borderline computer luddite.

Oh I get it, you even deny yourself the outward appearance of taking part in the community, that's pretty hot bro.

Anyway I'm 100% serious about disclosing all of this to your trustee, he'll be in a world of poo poo if he doesn't have all the facts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Method Loser posted:

RZA Encryption posted:

Serious Question:

No.

c'mon, be honest.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

corn in the fridge posted:

You don't understand. The laws of Panama are not applicable to you in the US because you are a US citizen. You cannot sue US entities as a Panamanian citizen because you are a US citizen. You may not enter the US as a Panamanian citizen, you cannot leave the US as a Panamanian citizen. As far as the US is concerned, because you are a US citizen, you are only a US citizen.

This phone was used while I, a Panamamian citizen, was on Panamanian soil. I can use the Panamanian court system, if there's a case to be had. See: I'm going to talk to my lawyers

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Oh I get it, you even deny yourself the outward appearance of taking part in the community, that's pretty hot bro.

Anyway I'm 100% serious about disclosing all of this to your trustee, he'll be in a world of poo poo if he doesn't have all the facts.

I seriously don't know what you're talking about, community of wife-fuckers? No, not a part of any freaky poo poo like that, sorry to ruin your imagination.

quote:

c'mon, be honest.

Uh, I am being. I have no problem paying $5 for a useful app, and none of the other rooting benefits appeal to me.
From now on, I'm gonna find and use some poo poo phone, and then just get a tablet for the rest. I'm being obviously targeted for something, and I don't like that

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 25, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Coming from a bull hacker, you should really take Earthly Ape Unit's advice. He knows what he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Method Loser posted:

Uh, I am being. I have no problem paying $5 for a useful app, and none of the other rooting benefits appeal to me.

No, really, what 99 cent app did you download from androidappz.ru?

You really think there is a HUGE security hole in the android operating system that would allow a third party to install a hidden app on your phone remotely without ANY action on your part?

If so, do you think that you're the only one that's noticed it, or do you think you're the only one important enough to be targeted by a security vulnerability that would get 1000x more media coverage than heartbleed?

• Locked thread