Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Literally an "I have money, I am important" mentality. gg op, all of us poors are just dying to get into your trust fund megabux by watching you while you take a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Method Loser posted:

^^^^Hoping to appeal to an admin or mod with an iota of sense; this one obviously has not one.

The phone is not rooted. Its not shoved up my rear end 24/7, it' a possibility someone could have surreptitiously gotten it from me for the 60 seconds it take to install such a thing. This is the only way this could have been installed from my POV. The icon did NOT look like the Samsung eye. Sorry, that's not it.

Listen, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here even though I'm probably going to end up getting probated for getting my rear end trolled.

It wouldn't take 60 seconds to install and set up something like AndroSpy. The person would have to change your phone settings to allow third party apps, download the apk, run it, log in with their account and set up what they want monitored. So if this is true, someone had to be alone with your phone for a few minutes. Maybe while you were sleeping or something.

It's still extremely odd that the icon showed up next to the clock though. This is not possible for third party apps.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 26, 2014

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

the kawaiiest posted:

Listen, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here even though I'm probably going to end up getting probated for getting my rear end trolled.

It wouldn't take 60 seconds to install and set up something like AndroSpy. The person would have to change your phone settings to allow third party apps, download the apk, run it, log in with their account and set up what they want monitored. So if this is true, someone had to be alone with your phone for a few minutes. Maybe while you were sleeping or something.

It's still extremely odd that the icon showed up next to the clock though. This is not possible for third part apps.

*Unless the app got root*
Which means the OP lied about root.

Oh trust fund babies.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh trust fund babies.

Yeah I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's being honest about this whole thing but it's kinda weird and I'm probably an idiot for wasting my time.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

haha this thread escalated quickly

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Wait, OP said it appeared next to a clock, but he didn't specify which one

Please shed some light on this OP.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I installed the malware on that guys phone. Im a badass assassin with over 250 completed missions and one of them was trying to look at this guys text messages and I succeded with over 100% accuracy and a Double S rating.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Method Loser posted:

^^^^Hoping to appeal to an admin or mod with an iota of sense; this one obviously has not one.

SA's "Most Sensible Mod" winner for the past 9 years here to help!

Have you considered getting an iphone? There are all kinds of cool cases for those.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I hate to have to point this out, but the kawaiiest is correct, there's no way a non-system app can present an icon on the right near the time. It simply isn't a thing that can be done and I must've missed that in the OP because I would've pointed it out then. Even if you had root and installed the app as a system app (which can be done without rooting the device through recovery assuming a custom recovery is installed) it still can't put the icon on the right near the clock.

Since the OP's "expert" is anything but, I'll spell out the technical reason. It's because in order to modify that part of the statusbar you need to modify SystemUI and for that you'd also need root. Now there are a few ways to approach that problem if for some reason you wanted your surveillance app to throw a notification to alert the user that they're being spied upon but all of them would carry a lot of dependencies. The only way you could do it for every device without making a bespoke modified SystemUI for every type of device and every variant of those software versions would be via Xposed. Only now you've got the problem where you can't hide the presence of Xposed, system root, and an Xposed module to modify SystemUI on the fly.

But let's assume, as a thought exercise (since this is obviously far from reality) that there is an unauthorized surveillance app on the phone, and it has solved the "problem" of throwing a notification in the system area of the notification bar.

How did it get on there? As already established, for it to be hidden from a user with a modicum of sense it would need to be done with root. It would need to install itself to /system/app since without that a user could see and uninstall it. It would need to obfuscate the name of package much like Lookout used to (still does?) to make it difficult to detect looking through /system/app or checking for running services. Could that be done? Yes, if the person installing it had access to the device, used a root exploit to install it, then unrooted. Could it be installed remotely? Definitely not if the device was unrooted. Even if it was rooted it wouldn't work without a reboot.

So as someone who has a pretty good grasp on how Android can be altered at the system level there are simply too many things that aren't possible for this to be real:
  • The phone would have to be rooted, at least temporarily, to hide an app from the user.
  • To put the icon on the right, the phone would need to be rooted (again, at least temporarily) to make very involved changes that do nothing to aid in the app in its supposed function. Again, lots of things would have to be done just to show a notification to the user that they were being spied on with an icon on the right instead of the left which would require no work at all.
  • A developer would have to want to make a spying app that notifies the user of what it was doing. It would be less work to not tell the user, either by simply making the icon transparent if there had to be a notification or making the notification innocuous so that it didn't alarm the user.
  • Such an app would have to have to be made specifically for your device, carrier, and software version. This is not a trivial task.

One doesn't need to know much about Android to know that if the user a) can't think of anyone who'd want to spy on him, b) can't think of anyone who'd have the opportunity to install it, c) can't explain why a surveillance app would throw a notification at all, d) can't provide anything pulled from the device, including even a screenshot of the alleged notification, and e) is claiming something technically not possible then it's probably the case that the user's claims are wrong or false.

Also I looked at the Play Store page for the app in that Github--it shows a satellite shaped notification on the left and isn't for spying but marking coordinates. There's nothing surreptitious about it at all. And I told you how to easily determine where the app you claim it is would be: install it on another, clean device and look for the new files.

Still a pretty good troll though and I'm glad to have been here since the beginning.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 26, 2014

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My case has an owl and some triangles.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

My case has an owl and some triangles.
What color are the triangles?

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

the kawaiiest posted:

It's still extremely odd that the icon showed up next to the clock though. This is not possible for third part apps.

This is probably closest to the truth, and the only way I'm going to know who is filing lawsuit and subpoenaing records to see who pays AndroSpy.

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh trust fund babies.

My. Phone. Was. Not. Rooted. By. Me. I. Do. Not. Install. Unsigned. Apps. I. Buy. All. My. Apps. From. The. Google. Play. Store. FFS

And the trust fund baby thing, I mention a trust fund just to ward off the 'YOUR BOSS DID IT!."s. I've worked in fast food kitchens for minimum wage, I've worked in gas stations. I worked at the Memphis Zoo doing all their landscaping. I've put my dues in. More than most of you, I'd wager, ivory tower elitist fucks, or alternatity, the ergonomic-chair-at-the-help-desk fillers. So to all those pulling those cards: suck my cock.

People. what the gently caress reason would I have to lie about any of this, any lie would gently caress up the (theoretical) help I asked for. The fact I DON'T have root is making getting to juicy files harder. The entirety of this forum has been hostile, and I'm honestly wondering why. Are they afraid things like this are possible and want to do the ostrich thing? What?
Either way the whole phone isn't going to be touched by anyone but who my lawyer tells me to give it to. You guys are worthless, so Ill let professionals take care of it, so really, other than the like two guys that took this serious, you're nothing but wastes of time. Congrats, I'm sure you all aspired to this.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 26, 2014

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
You buy your apps from the google gay store kid.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

LastInLine posted:

What color are the triangles?

Orange!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Oh man I like yellow and I guess orange is okay but my wife likes green and HATES orange so I guess I'm stuck with Android. :(

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

I happily paid $10 for RadarScope, nothing but a real time doppler radar. It was the best real time weather app I could find. I probably have a few hundred dollars in apps.I believe in supporting devs and have no want or need to root my phone. Sorry, it wasn't rooted, not to my knowledge.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Method Loser posted:

I happily paid $10 for RadarScope, nothing but a real time doppler radar. It was the best real time weather app I could find. I probably have a few hundred dollars in apps.I believe in supporting devs and have no want or need to root my phone. Sorry, it wasn't rooted, not to my knowledge.

What the hell are you talking about

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

What the hell are you talking about

Me trying to convince these people that no, I don't root and run unsigned apks on this phone. I don't know why I'm bothering, it's clear the technical knowledge here is missing, just a bunch of kids who want to troll, which is fine. Like I said, I'm talking to pros later anyway, but was wondering if anyone had any clever ideas. I got a resounding NO, then poo poo flung at me.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Have you ever seen Lupin the Third

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Method Loser posted:

Me trying to convince these people that no, I don't root and run unsigned apks on this phone. I don't know why I'm bothering, it's clear the technical knowledge here is missing, just a bunch of kids who want to troll, which is fine. Like I said, I'm talking to pros later anyway, but was wondering if anyone had any clever ideas. I got a resounding NO, then poo poo flung at me.

LastInLine is 100% correct, what you described is not possible without root. Your phone must have been rooted at some point, if not by you then by someone else, in order for that icon to be able to appear next to the clock. That is useful information that you should be thanking him for.

I've also been saying from the very beginning that what you described is not possible without root. I'm telling you that your phone has been messed with. If you didn't do it, then someone else did, because if the phone had never been rooted what you're describing would not be possible. There's no buts or ifs or maybes, it's not possible, period.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Method Loser posted:

You're getting poo poo flung at you because you're not open to the remote possibility that you're mistaken about the tiniest detail of your account. And you're unwilling to provide any evidence to help anyone help you. And then you're calling everyone who isn't able to help an ignorant child.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
OP should post his original email which elicited a gently caress you reply. If it's as entitled as his posts in this thread it's no wonder they weren't willing to help.

How do you know that someone is paying AndroSpy? I ask because a very quick look at their website suggests there is a possibility they might not be.

Unless you somehow know the level of spying involved? Which you won't, if you didn't install it yourself, because you won't have the required registration details to log in. And if you could log in you could remove it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Listen OP is super loving important and rich. Nobody around him would stoop to the level of installing free-tier call tracking. He's worth at least $5.75/mo.

Nice Reddit Account
Nov 27, 2013

by XyloJW
OP, I am a lawyer, please respond if you would like me to represent you and your case.

Please do not contact me via the phone in question but rather your house phone or payphone.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Lol

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Nice Reddit Account posted:

OP, I am a lawyer, please respond if you would like me to represent you and your case.

Please do not contact me via the phone in question but rather your house phone or payphone.

Thanks, but I already have really loving good lawyers.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
I'm not rich, but I am important, to me. However I use an apple device. Best of luck, OP.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is it possible that the phone he bought wasn't new, but repackaged to look new?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The OP got infected with a gay-cuck spyware App Installing Device System, according to Tom's Hardware.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Do the "Periods. After. Every. Word." bit again; that was my favorite way to show Internet rage when I was 12.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
OP, on the off chance that this isn't an elaborate troll, and since you simply chose to ignore the correct technical explanations on why what you describe is not possible on the Android OS, here is how I would try to diagnose if it's actually AndroSpy or whatever it's called. (the simple file copies your it friend did won't work if it's a sophisticated spytool)

At no point in these steps will your phone be required to boot into the OS, potentially allowing the AndroSpy app to wipe itself or the phone.

1. put battery back into phone, no sim card
2. flash a custom recovery as described here (CM Note 2 Installation Guide), follow only the "Installing a custom recovery on Galaxy Note 2" section. In this step you only boot into the boot loader.
3. boot into the custom recovery and do a full nandroid backup
4. copy nandroid backup to a computer with a standard usb cable, this is possible from recovery mode. No idea what your friend is on about having to build a custom computer and getting cardreaders and whatnot
5. now you should have a full backup of your entire phone, all of the protected OS files (your state of the rom), radio, recovery, bootloader, all installed apps and their current state as well as your private data

From here on you could

a) dig around in the filesystem directly for anything suspicious, this would require detailed knowledge of the android filesystem
b) boot into a default virtual machine of a android phone (comes free with the android sdk), download Titanium Backup from the app store or sideload it, put nandroid backup file inside the virtualized phone, restore nandroid backup files into virtual phone using Titanium backup. This restores only the apps and their state, but most android spyware I know doesn't insert itself any deeper either, it only hides it's presence from sight. Don't allow internet access to the vm and monitor the behavior.
c) find a way to directly boot the entire nandroid backup in a vm, 5 minutes of googling didn't provide any finds, might still be possible though
d) share it with us as we could then verify your story

Please stop insulting everyone here as unhelpful idiots now.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

TLG James posted:

Is it possible that the phone he bought wasn't new, but repackaged to look new?

Straight from an ATT store?

Thanks, but at this point I'm not touching it before I talk to my lawyers. I don't want to destroy the only evidence I have. I already bought a new phone.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Method Loser posted:

Straight from an ATT store?

It's not impossible. It's not like it's that hard to have a shrink wrap unit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey OP did you ever kick that heroin addiction?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey OP did you ever kick that heroin addiction?
link

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Is post history considered 'internet detectiving?'

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
This might be a little off-topic OP but how are you finding your Galaxy Note 2? I don't live off a trust fund but my parents still make a big deal about my birthday at 29 years old and I get to pick out any phablet I want this year.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

vapid cutlery posted:

This might be a little off-topic OP but how are you finding your Galaxy Note 2? I don't live off a trust fund but my parents still make a big deal about my birthday at 29 years old and I get to pick out any phablet I want this year.

If you're into gay cucking action then it's perfect according to the op.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
OP why do you keep telling people to suck your dick? OP why did you tell us you have an open relationship?

I will suck your dick if you give me your phone I am totally into voyeurism and I get off on the idea of someone spying on me.

Also maybe you should look into a blackberry i hear they have the best security of any phones ever and they don't have the baggage attached with iOS your good business friend pointed out

quote:

you iOS Job-ite motherfuckers have any valid points to make in your vertically integrated wisterian computing ecoshitstem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

anakha posted:

Congrats to OP and his friend for getting IYG and YOSPOS to agree on something.

this thread is basically how i imagine all of iyg

• Locked thread