Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Why would a jet have an app? To spy on u maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Op buy an iphone then kill yourself.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
android phones do chem trails

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PuTTY riot posted:

Op buy an iphone then kill yourself.

I have no doubt he will be found dead with a needle stuck in his arm.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ruddha posted:

android phones do chem trails

wrong, thats the android user's body stench

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Personally I support Method Loser's struggle. I'm serious. Any minute now his parents' vast mounds of money, lawyers and heroin will fold in on themselves to present the solution in the form of a bullshit singularity, and you'll all be sorry!

Method, I want you to know I'm with you all the way. Show these poors how the real world works!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have no doubt he will be found dead with a needle stuck in his arm.

PuTTY riot posted:

Op buypawn an iphone then kill yourself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Method Loser posted:

I don't know why I'm bothering

Neither does anyone else.

The real tragedy here is that you are 'wealthy' yet choose to live in Birmingham, AL.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Method Loser probably doesn't fly much at all since he most likely can't leave the state as a condition of his probation.

Yeah can we stop helping this criminal fix his phone? His probation officer probably put the software on there in the first place. I don't think we should be helping people break the law here.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
This thread is hilarious.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Method Loser probably doesn't fly much at all since he most likely can't leave the state as a condition of his probation.

Pfft, probation officers. Never had one, but I bet they don't get paid enough to resist enough money for rubber stamping things.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

I hate to have to point this out, but the kawaiiest is correct, there's no way a non-system app can present an icon on the right near the time. It simply isn't a thing that can be done and I must've missed that in the OP because I would've pointed it out then. Even if you had root and installed the app as a system app (which can be done without rooting the device through recovery assuming a custom recovery is installed) it still can't put the icon on the right near the clock.

Since the OP's "expert" is anything but, I'll spell out the technical reason. It's because in order to modify that part of the statusbar you need to modify SystemUI and for that you'd also need root. Now there are a few ways to approach that problem if for some reason you wanted your surveillance app to throw a notification to alert the user that they're being spied upon but all of them would carry a lot of dependencies. The only way you could do it for every device without making a bespoke modified SystemUI for every type of device and every variant of those software versions would be via Xposed. Only now you've got the problem where you can't hide the presence of Xposed, system root, and an Xposed module to modify SystemUI on the fly.

But let's assume, as a thought exercise (since this is obviously far from reality) that there is an unauthorized surveillance app on the phone, and it has solved the "problem" of throwing a notification in the system area of the notification bar.

How did it get on there? As already established, for it to be hidden from a user with a modicum of sense it would need to be done with root. It would need to install itself to /system/app since without that a user could see and uninstall it. It would need to obfuscate the name of package much like Lookout used to (still does?) to make it difficult to detect looking through /system/app or checking for running services. Could that be done? Yes, if the person installing it had access to the device, used a root exploit to install it, then unrooted. Could it be installed remotely? Definitely not if the device was unrooted. Even if it was rooted it wouldn't work without a reboot.

So as someone who has a pretty good grasp on how Android can be altered at the system level there are simply too many things that aren't possible for this to be real:
  • The phone would have to be rooted, at least temporarily, to hide an app from the user.
  • To put the icon on the right, the phone would need to be rooted (again, at least temporarily) to make very involved changes that do nothing to aid in the app in its supposed function. Again, lots of things would have to be done just to show a notification to the user that they were being spied on with an icon on the right instead of the left which would require no work at all.
  • A developer would have to want to make a spying app that notifies the user of what it was doing. It would be less work to not tell the user, either by simply making the icon transparent if there had to be a notification or making the notification innocuous so that it didn't alarm the user.
  • Such an app would have to have to be made specifically for your device, carrier, and software version. This is not a trivial task.

One doesn't need to know much about Android to know that if the user a) can't think of anyone who'd want to spy on him, b) can't think of anyone who'd have the opportunity to install it, c) can't explain why a surveillance app would throw a notification at all, d) can't provide anything pulled from the device, including even a screenshot of the alleged notification, and e) is claiming something technically not possible then it's probably the case that the user's claims are wrong or false.

Also I looked at the Play Store page for the app in that Github--it shows a satellite shaped notification on the left and isn't for spying but marking coordinates. There's nothing surreptitious about it at all. And I told you how to easily determine where the app you claim it is would be: install it on another, clean device and look for the new files.

Still a pretty good troll though and I'm glad to have been here since the beginning.

Not only this but the system files required to be modified would have to have the phone fully unlocked, not just rooted. There's no way to modify the layout of the icons at the top without changing the XML file used for the layout of icons on the status bar which is in protected storage.

Anyways great thread op plz keep clean and buy an iPhone.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Method Loser posted:

Pfft, probation officers. Never had one, but I bet they don't get paid enough to resist enough money for rubber stamping things.

You should send in a Freedom of Information Act request to see what the FBI has on you. As a dual-citizen with a piece of poo poo Android a lot of money, you're probably on all sorts of juicy watchlists.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flyboi posted:

buy an iPhone.

The bonus of just using an iPhone is that Apple exerts a lot of control on the ecosystem, making them liable for any further violations of your privacy! Then you can sue Apple directly, as there's more of a legal basis for getting some of that sweet Beats money out of them.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Considering rule 34 of yospos I would say op isn't as rich as he makes himself out to be if he uses android just sayin

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Also op if you consider your privacy so valuable I would suggest investing in a capable MDM platform for your poorphone such as airwatch to avoid future privacy problems

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
So when do we find out Mr. Business installed the spyware? I watch a lot of ID network and I'm pretty sure it's always the overly helpful friend. He's gotta stay close to the investigation you see, throw up roadblocks to obstruct the investigation. Bet those backups he took will "accidentally" end up corrupted.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

flyboi posted:

Also op if you consider your privacy so valuable I would suggest investing in a capable MDM platform for your poorphone such as airwatch to avoid future privacy problems

Unless you add an 'A' to that platform, the OP is not interested

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

The bonus of just using an iPhone is that Apple exerts a lot of control on the ecosystem, making them liable for any further violations of your privacy! Then you can sue Apple directly, as there's more of a legal basis for getting some of that sweet Beats money out of them.

already use macbook pros exclusively, iphones blow with their tiny little screens and havent-been-updated-since-1800 design. srry. samsung makes better poo poo than apple in the phone arena

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Method Loser posted:

samsung makes better poo poo than apple in the phone arena

I thought you were off the drugs

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For someone that values their privacy so much it's shocking they would champion the mobile os best known to be highly insecure and addled with privacy leaks.

Most enterprise environments won't even allow android on their network because of the issues surrounding the poors phone os

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Method Loser posted:

already use macbook pros exclusively, iphones blow with their tiny little screens and havent-been-updated-since-1800 design. srry. samsung makes better poo poo than apple in the phone arena

Lol, look at how wrong you are. Android, my it's very nature, is a huge security and privacy leak, beyond that the OS is buggy as gently caress on Samsung devices.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

flyboi posted:

For someone that values their privacy so much it's shocking they would champion the mobile os best known to be highly insecure and addled with privacy leaks.

Most enterprise environments won't even allow android on their network because of the issues surrounding the poors phone os

i value my privacy so much I don't even keep anything incriminating or embarrassing on my phone, anyone who does is a bona-fide moron; this intrusion is a matter of principle

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm sorry Method Loser but it seems you are one of those people in my field we state "PEBKAC" - Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Computer or in this instance "PEBBAF" Problem Exists Between Brain and Function.

It's nothing to be ashamed about but if you can't manage to limit your privacy I would suggest either using a dumb phone to protect yourself from your own stupidity or perhaps as WebOS based phone. If you feel WebOS does not suit your needs I highly suggest a Palm Centro as it is a very functional device while limiting your capability of looking like an idiot.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Method Loser posted:

You dudes are retards, I'm out for realsies now. Keep on with your little circlejerk.

OP when your friend left in huff, he committed to it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Taciturn Tactician posted:

See, that dude can follow through on a plan. Like when he installed spyware on your phone.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Method Loser posted:

i value my privacy so much I don't even keep anything incriminating or embarrassing on my phone, anyone who does is a bona-fide moron; this intrusion is a matter of principle

You're the principal of the school for being gay ha ha ha ha

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ruddha posted:

You're the principal of the school for being gay ha ha ha ha

Please don't lump this idiot in with my peoples, we have enough problems with meth addicts and HIV. Op probably could find some friends at his level at a bingo hall or nursing home though!

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

flyboi posted:

Please don't lump this idiot in with my peoples, we have enough problems with meth addicts and HIV. Op probably could find some friends at his level at a bingo hall or nursing home though!

Being gay is good, but its something you know, not something you learn. Hell, they say those that can't do it with men, teach.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ruddha posted:

Being gay is good, but its something you know, not something you learn. Hell, they say those that can't do it with men, teach.

No we say "Gay is only a 6 pack away"

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

flyboi posted:

Considering rule 34 of yospos I would say op isn't as rich as he makes himself out to be if he uses android just sayin

Ya sMae

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Taciturn Tactician posted:

but this is so fun

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Method Loser posted:

but this is so fun

I'm here from Pyf. Tell me about your cuck thing

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

flyboi posted:

I'm sorry Method Loser but it seems you are one of those people in my field we state "PEBKAC" - Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Computer

I thought it was keyboard and chair?

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 27, 2014

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Mooktastical posted:

nah, he got some lovely ps/2 ports you see and

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Op has toxxed, broken toxx in what has to be a near record time. Not only that, but he just can't loving stop posting.

Gas thread, ban op, and rake in the sweet sweet rereg :10bux:

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 27, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mooktastical posted:

Yeah that makes more sense. Haven't used that acronym in like 10 years since most people aren't this retarded anymore.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
I think you should get an iPhone since the revolutionary Touch ID would prevent anyone but you from unlocking your phone

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012
OP what's the best Panamanian food to eat before a cuck sesh

Bull here (I believe your people call me a 'toro')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

I thought you were off the drugs
I got a genuine laugh at this post.

• Locked thread