Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So uh are you sure that's what it is? Because the little eye on the status bar is a Samsung thing. If you accidentally activated Smart Stay then you'll see a little eye pop up for a little bit and then disappear. Here's a page with more info: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsung/19067/how-enable-smart-stay-your-samsung-galaxy-note-2

It's just very odd to me that an app that's meant to be hidden so it can spy on people would put an icon on your status bar, even if it's just for a second. That seems like a serious oversight and simply doesn't make sense. If they're so good at hiding the app they'd know to make the icon transparent so that it's not visible to the user. Seems much more likely to me that it's Smart Stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Sorry for the double post, wanna make sure no one misses this if they already read the previous one.

Smart stay looks like this:

I'm 99% sure that app developers cannot place icons next to the clock, if this had been a third party app the icon would have shown up on the left side. If this is what you saw then it's just Smart Stay and no one is spying on you.

I've had my share of Samsung phones and your description of the icon and its placement sounded very familiar to me.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Method Loser posted:

Every eyeball icon, regardless of how they look, are the am I rite guyz?

sorry, not the same icon know how I know? I had that poo poo disabled
I guess that Samsung's process is named "I'm Watching You," too, right?

So in short, continue to be worthless; I'm peacing. You people clearly have no idea about poo poo and I'll leave it to professionals.

Third party developers cannot put icons in the spot that you're claiming the icon showed up in. It's not possible. You were looking at the Smart Stay icon, or some other Samsung icon.

No spyware rootkit whatever the gently caress would have a process called "I'm Watching You". That is beyond retarded, and it's a level of incompetence that even the shittiest Android developer would not be able to match. You're either making poo poo up or you're actually as dumb as you sound and you downloaded some lovely pirated apk somewhere that installed malware on your phone. It doesn't sound to me like you're either important or interesting enough for anyone to want to spy on you, so if you're either a troll or an idiot.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

EbolaIvory posted:

Or hes a giant liar running root with some hacked up rom with bullshit installed.

I'm going with this list of things

1) Idiot who isnt listening
2) Idiot who didnt read his phones manual when he saw a weird icon
3) Thinks hes important, because hes a trust fund baby
4) Has no concept of the real world.

I'm holding out hope that he's just trolling because I don't want to believe that this person exists.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mr. Business posted:

No, you are beyond retarded in the sense that you apparently suffer from reading comprehension issues, nevermind your inability to read between lines--a skill apparently andm voluntarily deprecated in this cesspool--for missing the obvious business case for having a feature on one's spyware app, a "hubris-button" if you will, to scare the piss out of the person you happen to be stalking. Calling the process something menacing makes tremendous sense, given that it is marketed as being for stalking one's child or spouse. Might wanna scare 'em, right?

What a piece of poo poo software. This is exactly the sort of poo poo that makes Android godawful, not that any of you iOS Job-ite motherfuckers have any valid points to make in your vertically integrated wisterian computing ecoshitstem.

Plenty of people would probably care to gently caress with ML. This unhelpful poo poo thread and your goddamn anime-avatar rear end are the proof in the pudding.

Look how dumb you are.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mooktastical posted:

You don't have to just hope he's trolling; it's obvious.

The guy said he went so far as downloading the contents of the sd card, yet he hasn't shown a lick of proof, despite multiple pointing out how likely it is that he's trolling.

The OP doesn't sound particularly bright so I figured it might have been real, and he could have been looking at the Smart Stay icon and getting paranoid about it. But I guess it's pretty obvious that he's trolling, I mean you're right, if this were real he'd have posted some proof by now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Okay fine. Listen.

Method Loser posted:

Today, on my Note 2, I noticed a noise, and a half-second eyeball icon next to the time, that then vanished.

It is not possible for third party apps to put icons next to the time. That area is for system icons, unless you're rooted and running Xposed for customization. Are you?

It's not possible for a third party app to be installed as a system app without root, either, and it's not possible to root a Samsung phone remotely. The phone must be plugged in. In addition to that, any apps that require root access will ask for it, so you would have had to not only root your phone for this to possible, you'd also have had to give the app root access to install itself as a system app or make any changes to system files.

You said that no one has access to your phone except you. So it's one of two options: you rooted your phone and installed some weird poo poo, or you're mistaking a system icon for spyware. There's no third option. You can't root a Note 2 remotely, it has to be plugged in, and you'd have had to authorize any apps that required root access to run on your phone in the first place. Unless you're lying about no one else having access to your phone, there's simply no way this could be done.

So you're lying about something. Either the whole story is a lie, or you're omitting information because you don't want to look like an idiot (in which case I've got some bad news for you).

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Method Loser posted:

^^^^Hoping to appeal to an admin or mod with an iota of sense; this one obviously has not one.

The phone is not rooted. Its not shoved up my rear end 24/7, it' a possibility someone could have surreptitiously gotten it from me for the 60 seconds it take to install such a thing. This is the only way this could have been installed from my POV. The icon did NOT look like the Samsung eye. Sorry, that's not it.

Listen, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here even though I'm probably going to end up getting probated for getting my rear end trolled.

It wouldn't take 60 seconds to install and set up something like AndroSpy. The person would have to change your phone settings to allow third party apps, download the apk, run it, log in with their account and set up what they want monitored. So if this is true, someone had to be alone with your phone for a few minutes. Maybe while you were sleeping or something.

It's still extremely odd that the icon showed up next to the clock though. This is not possible for third party apps.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 26, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

EbolaIvory posted:

*Unless the app got root*
Which means the OP lied about root.

Oh trust fund babies.

Yeah I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's being honest about this whole thing but it's kinda weird and I'm probably an idiot for wasting my time.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Method Loser posted:

Me trying to convince these people that no, I don't root and run unsigned apks on this phone. I don't know why I'm bothering, it's clear the technical knowledge here is missing, just a bunch of kids who want to troll, which is fine. Like I said, I'm talking to pros later anyway, but was wondering if anyone had any clever ideas. I got a resounding NO, then poo poo flung at me.

LastInLine is 100% correct, what you described is not possible without root. Your phone must have been rooted at some point, if not by you then by someone else, in order for that icon to be able to appear next to the clock. That is useful information that you should be thanking him for.

I've also been saying from the very beginning that what you described is not possible without root. I'm telling you that your phone has been messed with. If you didn't do it, then someone else did, because if the phone had never been rooted what you're describing would not be possible. There's no buts or ifs or maybes, it's not possible, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Method Loser posted:

samsung makes better poo poo than apple in the phone arena

I thought you were off the drugs

• Locked thread