Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

wateroverfire posted:

Moving this derail out of the Libertarian thread.

It's important to know the history, dude. =( Chile was not in a great place when Allende took power but his administration was basically a study in how to knock a country off its rails in the fewest possible steps. The administration didn't need any help from Nixon. I posted a link to an economic reading of Chilean history in the other thread that I'll include here: Economic Reforms in Chile: From Dictatorship to Democracy.

From the Excerpt you posted (I only saw the one) it doesn't really detail what exactly he did wrong, and seems to be more about external factors that undermined him pretty hard. I mean he was accused of being a "dictator" but none of that is substantiated in the excerpt posted.

Anyway, since he was only in power for three years its really impossbile to judge Allende's policies. Its just to short of a window for anything to really happen. Not to mention most of it undone by his successor.

If you really want a to compare him to big P, well you can't. He nationalized the copper mines, and Big P murdered a poo poo ton of people. There is no way Big P comes out even close.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Filippo Corridoni posted:

Just admit that you're a neoliberal.
To be fair, I don't think water has ever denied that.

Or at least something similar to a neoliberal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bulky Brute posted:

Ah yes, those terrifying Allende years where the chilean petite bourgeoisie lived under economic and political uncertainty i.e. what workers live through every single day of their lives.

To be fair, those where bad old days.

They just have literally nothing to do with Allende.

Bachelet sounds cool though.

edit: Though it is funny that the businesses aren't learning their lessons. If populism is making you fearful, don't fight back, it will only make it worse.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread