Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's definitely how the game is.

After playing this for many hours, I've come to the conclusion that this is a Bad Game. There's a fine line between making something that's intentionally obtuse, difficult and/or harrowing and something that is just tedious poo poo from a design perspective. In my opinion this squarely falls into the latter category.

Gods wants to use its difficulty as a means to create a strong thematic resonance, but this only maybe (and that's a strong maybe given the quality of the writing) works once. When you finally figure out what the purpose of a chapter is, it just becomes one long game of managing variables inside a spreadsheet until you find a satisfactory combination. It takes away from the atmosphere, and it is emphatically unenjoyable to actually play.

That might be the point, but as it is, it just makes me want to attribute the game's failings to poor design. To me, comparing this game to something like Dark Souls (or any well-designed difficult game) is an insult, because that game understands and respects the player's time and skill investment. Gods is like going through one of those placemat mazes at a cheap restaurant, only you aren't allowed to look at the exit. Your choices are presented as being meaningful, but what you're really doing amounts to keeping a set of invisible statistics from getting out of control.

I really wanted to like this, but the more I play, the more I actively loathe everything it stands for in terms of gameplay design. The difficulty selection jokes about people hating the designers, and it almost seems like a dare, but as it is I just kind of don't ever want to play this game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good that they acknowledged it, but I still have zero interest in playing more of this awful game.

• Locked thread