Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

al-azad posted:

Eventually I learned that attacking drives them back and eventually I beat the scenario on Original without losing a single hostage or getting a security breach.

In literally any other video game ever designed by humans, attacking someone is a last resort. What happens when you get into conflict in Baldur's Gate or any other choice-based adventure game? You either talk the hostile party down or steel flies, someone dies. But not in GWBW where the game provides zero feedback on your actions. Is shooting someone a final action or a pacifying action? Sometimes both and in the same scenario under different conditions. You just have to try it and see. You'll probably fail but that's okay, that's how we designed the game!

It makes perfect sense to me. Negotiations are to distract in a hostage situation more than anything, and slow the opposing party down. An attack will force the enemy to rethink their advances and push them back.

This is the entire point of the game, learning the rules of the scenario and using them to win. You aren't meant to win on your first try, and it isn't a choice based game. This is a puzzle game. Whilst it has slight moral choice elements, it is a puzzle game. The scenarios are puzzles. It is in no way, shape, or form, a choice based adventure game. Also, it is best to play through it on Easy to learn the rules, then play on Original to get some challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread