Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Gods will be watching is a game. It was a different game first. A ludum dare thing or something.

Gameplay

What manner of game is it? There are buttons. If you press a button some numbers go up, or down, or both. You're not allowed to see the numbers. You may see the buttons, but there are no labels. If one of the numbers gets too high or too low you lose usually. Sometimes you win though, at which point all the buttons and numbers go away and are replaced with different buttons and a whole new exciting set of numbers you are also not allowed to see.

So it's utter shite then, you might think. But in my opinion you'd be wrong.

While you can never really know what effect you're having for sure, you can put it together for yourself. There is a logical thread. You can make educated guesses what certain actions will do. If you shoot a man in the head you can expect he will die. The environment will react. You ought to be able to till if witnesses are pleased with what you've done or not from visual cues. It is, in essence, not a puzzle game at all, but a very vague resource management game. Vague in the sense that there is always a degree of uncertainty concerning what the resources are, how much exactly you have and which ones you actually need.

Art and Story and Such

The art is pixels, and while not being as gorgeous as say Kentucky Route Zero or Superbrothers, they are perfectly servicable. Like those games I would classify it more as an "experience" than a "video game" as such, however unlike the other two I didn't delete it out of boredem yet. Your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance or retro grafix (tm). The story is run of the mill sci fi hogwash.

The draw

So the art is ok, the gameplay is obtuse and the story is nothing to write home about. Many an observer might reason that since I bothered to make a thread about this game there has got to be something to it. And here's the thing: the game is all about making choices. Difficult choices, in a game where to cards are constantly stacked against you. Do you have agency over the plot? No, and yet the choices you make will carry wheight. Somehow. Some choices might even make you feel bad. Then you'll complete the stage and be shown what choices other people made. And you'll find out that those super difficult choices you made, the ones that made you hate yourself weren't even necessary in the first place. The game is good that way, and I would argue that is the point of it.

Hints and Stuff

You're going to fail a lot.

If you feel you've failed too much look at the challenges for the part you're on. If ever there is a challenge akin to "complete the thing witout doing x" then doing x is probably something that will make your life a lot easier.

If you're still failing at least there is a thread now so ask, someone will probably set you right. Use spoiler tags.

Discuss theories, ask for help (I am pretty loving confused right now) or let everyone know why this game owns or sucks. Whatever you post remember gods will be watching.

edit:

Going by the steam thread lots of people are feeling befuddled by the first screen, so I thought I'd share some thoughts.

When it explicitly tells you something has a, say 65% chance of success, then that chance is exactly 65%. If you go for it and lose then that session might have already become unwinnable. Game does not care. Gods don't either.

From observation I am certain that actions do not have discrete results. Threatening hostages will not calm them down 10 points. 7-15 points seems more like it. Don't expect the same action to necessarily have the same magnitude in results every time.

Finally some fail states appear to have guaranteed tells, while others do not. To avoid being surprised by poo poo hitting the fan and events cascading out of control, find these "safe" fail states and err on the side of them.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
You were meant to use spoiler tags.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
It definitely seems like you're meant to fail every scenario several times (a line of dialogue in the second one even directly references this), and there are some patterns that seem to form. For example, I'm going to make an educated guess and claim the hostages that had been screwing you over were mostly the far right and far left one?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Lasher posted:

I honestly can't remember, though I do know they weren't doing the agitated animation when they attacked. It's probably one of those where being nice all the time wont cut it and you have to give them a kick to show them not to gently caress around.

One complaint I'd levy at the second scenario is it feels like you'd have to memorize the pattern of what happens to you each day and pick the thing that'd help the most each time. I know this is probably the whole point, but that whole scenario felt a bit less, uh, moral? Than the other two I've played. If that makes sense? Like it's definitely a numbers game with keeping each characters health up and knowing how much they can take as opposed to making a moral choice? I think that's what I mean, anyway.

I agree to an extent, the morality in that one comes from the fact that You don't need Jack to survive so you can use him as a punching bag to ensure your own survival.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Something is bugging me about the third part.

Jack died during the interrogation, but he is alive again for some reason. He showed at night as a ghost during the torture, but now third parties are talking to him so that can't be it.

Is this a bug or is that just how the game is?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Faraday Cage posted:

There's definitely something going on with Jack

I clicked him in the 3rd part and Burden said "Jack" while Jack became a SNES era glitch for a second. Feature? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I thought this game was good but it was a trick. :(

• Locked thread